Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do spinning techniques work best as follow up and cointerattacks/

It was interesting in the last video because he connected with the back fist and the kick. Short legs and long arms to pull that off? If I tried that I would be to jammed up with the kick.
    The kick never landed but it was interesting to see it applied.

Spinning moves are riskier than non spinning moves....but with my experience they pay off.

Spinning backfist has to be a surprise. Once you show it, its much less effective.

Lots of power and commitment, seen lots of knockouts. Lacy's used it to good effect in Melbourne Tournaments, Chen Young Fa's boys in Sydney too.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Last year I went to see some friends fight at a local amateur mma tourney. In one of the fights(not one my friends were in), there were two guys, both heavy weights, decent fight, except, one of the guys was constantly going for a spinning backfist when his opponent was starting a jab, the jabber would pull his punch when he realized he was going to hit the back of the guy's head, but often still make some contact, and the guy who was choosing the wrong moment to consider a backfist was complaining to the judge about getting hit in the back of the head.

Some of those fights were pretty good, even the less silly moments of that one. A shortage of good kickers except one actual muay thai guy(who are so obvious when surrounded by mma guys who talked all night about how great practicing muay thai is, and then showed none of it in their kicks, but it was amateur level), and the main event, which had some good kicks from both fighters. The funny thing, one of the fighters in the main event was a boxer who had studied outside of boxing and adapted his fighting for mma, who, aside from his opponent, whose focus was ground fighting, and the muay thai guy, had some of the more effective kicks of the night. The boxer won by submission, which was a big surprise. It was fun to watch.

Anyway, spinning. Great for throws, and useful in an emergency situation, but as a main offensive thing, I've not used it a lot, I've seen guys who do and seem to be able to give it some place.

Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    Some of those fights were pretty good, even the less silly moments of that one. A shortage of good kickers except one actual muay thai guy(who are so obvious when surrounded by mma guys who talked all night about how great practicing muay thai is, and then showed none of it in their kicks, but it was amateur level), and the main event, which had some good kicks from both fighters. The funny thing, one of the fighters in the main event was a boxer who had studied outside of boxing and adapted his fighting for mma, who, aside from his opponent, whose focus was ground fighting, and the muay thai guy, had some of the more effective kicks of the night. The boxer won by submission, which was a big surprise. It was fun to watch.

Anyway, spinning. Great for throws, and useful in an emergency situation, but as a main offensive thing, I've not used it a lot, I've seen guys who do and seem to be able to give it some place.
    If you are going to spam spinning back fists you shouldn't complain when you get clipped in the back of the head. You're putting it out there to get punched.

I think your second paragraph is an excellent summation.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Yep Simon, that's the risk.

I noticed the spinning moves are considered illegal at the Tournament in Dallas.

Back in the day (80's?), the Lacy's wreaked havoc with it at a William Cheung tournament in Melbourne. They tried mid tournament to outlaw the move because it was dropping so many fighters.

FWIW...
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Like any class of technique, spinning techs have their place, if you develop the skill/experience of when to use them. They do carry their own unique risks, as well.

For myself, spinning back kicks tended to work best as almost a simultaneous counter...for example, if the opponent committed to a high back-leg right roundhouse kick, I might then spin counter-clockwise into a left spin back kick. Since he's already committed, it's difficult to avoid the counter. The spin back kick could be shortened up or extended out depending on the opponent's proximity and still hit sharply if you land it.

With the spinning backfist, it could be either a follow-up to your attack, or as a counter. IME, it's best when used in a combo and not by itself.

At the 5th International Kuoshu Championships in Taiwan in 1986, I remember seeing a Korean fighter matched against a European (Swiss?) Wing Chun stylist, who began the match in an obvious WC-type ready stance. They were still at a distance (possibly 8 or more feet apart?), when the Korean (left foot forward) very quickly launched forward, jumping off his lead foot and spun 360 degrees, closed the distance in the air and landed a perfect left spin back kick to the guy's torso. It was the first and last move of the fight, as the other guy crumpled. He had never even made a move to defend against it, it was so unexpected.

I still remember that because, although it wouldn't have been my choice to begin a match with, and although there was probably a huge difference in relative skill levels of the fighters mentioned above, it showed how fast, accurate and explosive some guys can be right out of the gate with such a kick.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 07-25-2011 at 07:01 PM.

I found this video, its a few fights where the spinning back fist knocks em out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPVFbX704LA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    the Korean (left foot forward) very quickly launched forward, jumping off his lead foot and spun 360 degrees, closed the distance in the air and landed a perfect left spin back kick to the guy's torso.
    I have seen a challenge fight in the similiar situation but with different outcome. A young guy challenged an old man. The young guy started with a right foot "floor sweep" at the old man's leading leg, the old man lifted his foot to escape out of it. The young man then changed his floor sweep into a "tornado kick" toward the old man's head. the old man steped in, used XingYi Heng Chuan and hit on the young guy's waist and knocked the young guy's body 45 degree up in the air. I have seen people got knocked down or knocked back. That was the only time that I have ever seen people got knocked up.

When you spin you develop a huge angular momentum. Connect your strike and you deliver that force to your opponent. If, on the other hand, your opponent strikes you they can turn that force around on you.

That being said, I wouldn't ban the move, I'd just make a rule that said no crying if you take a shot to the back of the head while executing it.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipsky View Post
    I found this video, its a few fights where the spinning back fist knocks em out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPVFbX704LA
    Sweet find, thanks!
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong