Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 1st powerlifting comp

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Sure, for people with no previous training who are working out at home in their basement, which is pretty much who Power to the People was aimed at.

Squat is more dangerous than deadlift. Or at least, it's a more technical lift.
    so people with no previous training would be safer trying to deadlift twice bodyweight with no coaching...ive seen more injuries from deadlifting than squatting

no its not, they are both technical lifts that require coaching, and correct form at all times saying one is more dangerous than the other is silly

Pavel

Curious I have never heard Pavel say that. Not saying he hasn't but I'd like to see it, so I can ask him.
    Also I agree with Frost, the DL and Squat are both very technical. I feel like after 2 yrs of training I did my first good set of DL's last week. I did 350 for 3 and felt very solid, not a PR but my best form. Will post some clips of todays DL's later.

Don Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    so people with no previous training would be safer trying to deadlift twice bodyweight with no coaching...ive seen more injuries from deadlifting than squatting
    What person with no previous training is deadlifting twice their bodyweight?

no its not, they are both technical lifts that require coaching, and correct form at all times saying one is more dangerous than the other is silly
    All I said was that DL is less complex than squatting. It's also safer. If something goes wrong while deadlifting, just drop the bar. If something goes wrong squatting, at best you can drop the bar behind you and have the safety bars catch it, and at worst it's going to push you down and further out of position (possible injury) as it falls on top of you.

Teaching someone proper DL form is also easier than teaching them proper squat form, not to mention most people don't even have the required flexibility to squat correctly when they start anyway.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    What person with no previous training is deadlifting twice their bodyweight?

All I said was that DL is less complex than squatting. It's also safer. If something goes wrong while deadlifting, just drop the bar. If something goes wrong squatting, at best you can drop the bar behind you and have the safety bars catch it, and at worst it's going to push you down and further out of position (possible injury) as it falls on top of you.

Teaching someone proper DL form is also easier than teaching them proper squat form, not to mention most people don't even have the required flexibility to squat correctly when they start anyway.
    its near impossible to get people to use the legs and not the back when DL heavy thats where the injuries happen, as soon as the weight goes up they use their back and not their legs and muscle it up

Its not less complex its as complex, people who say differently usually havent been taught properly or ever really trained heavy on the deadlift
    The reason so many people sumo deadlift in comps is because of the risk of injury and the technical nature of the lift, there are other reasons too but they are good ones

ues for the deadlift are as many as the cues given on the squat

It's a toss up.
    I have noticed that it depends on the individual.
    Some are natural squatters and others are natural DL's.
    BOTH require excellent form.
    Injury-wise, that's a tough one....
    I mean you are suppose to squat in a rack so IF you miss it, the potential for injury isn't that great.
    I have seen some people really **** up their backs and shoulder on DL's.
    I've also seen people hurt themselves on squats and BP too, overheads too.

Typically the injuries are more ego driven than exercise driven.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Sq and Dl

Sanjuro is right, it is a very individual thing. The squat is easy for me my DL form is a struggle. It drives me crazy! The sumo is what I started I started with, but again I started with Kettbells and moved to the bar later.
    Kirk Karwaski and Marty Gallagher conducted a seminar in Philly last spring. The big message again and again was develop proper technique, trust proper structure and when you fail fail with integrity!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo1tU1YqPp0

Don Berry