Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What do you teach somone during thier first Wing Chun Class?

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Unless you have some clever TCMA way of training dodging in which you don't actually train dodging...

Better explain yourself, Spence.
    Explain?? Me??!! Why would anyone listen?

I will just rephrase something I heard recently from a well known guy from a well known family...

"If I dodge out of the way, aren't I in fact preoccupied in getting out of the way, therefore I'm also out of striking distance and mind set?? Is THAT your idea of Wing Chun?"

It's simple really. And again isn't it all in the language??

Dodging is for people who can not committ with no remorse!!!

Then again, I don't coach striking without remorse on lesson one so any point I'm making here is wasted in a thread that asked such a simple question. Hmmm
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 08-04-2011 at 11:28 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    "If I dodge out of the way, aren't I in fact preoccupied in getting out of the way, therefore I'm also out of striking distance and mind set?? Is THAT your idea of Wing Chun?"
    Dodging does not mean that you "move out of your striking range" but to "move away from your opponent's striking path". Simple examples are when your opponent uses

- hook punch at your head, you dodge your head under it (without moving away) and then counter with an upper cut.
    - straight punch at your head, you lean back your upper body (without moving away) and then counter with a kick.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3853/mayintu.jpg

A proper fist and how the movements in that boring looking 1st form can be applied for real.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Dodging is for people who can not committ with no remorse!!!
    OK, I misunderstood. I thought you were implying their were dodging moves in the form, rather than that you had a philosophy of thinking only of striking. Apologies.

I will just rephrase something I heard recently from a well known guy from a well known family...
    Who? Ozzy from the Osbournes? If he's well known, why not identify him? Appeal to authority anyway.

You can evade punches while remaining in striking distance. You can evade and counterstrike at the same time. This "well known guy from a well known family" might find this difficult or have been poorly taught, but other people don't have such issues.

My idea of Wing Chun is hitting the other guy without getting hit yourself.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!