Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you teach somone during thier first Wing Chun Class?

What do you teach somone during thier first Wing Chun Class?

My thoughts:
    Centerline
    Clock theory
    Gate theory
    Animals
    How to make a fist and striking surface
    stance
    basic footwork (advance, retreat, side step)

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    My thoughts:
    Centerline
    Clock theory
    Gate theory
    Animals
    How to make a fist and striking surface
    stance
    basic footwork (advance, retreat, side step)
    The punch.

Six dimensional force vectors, levitation, microcosmic/macrocosmic orbits, yin and yang, the five elements, eight trigrams, and dim mak.

Seriously, not too much. Teach them the proper way to form a fist, basic lead and rear straight punches including stance and basic explanation of the centreline, coach them on punching using mitts for a while so they exert some energy and feel they have done something, and maybe let them work a light pak dar with a partner (preferably me).

IMO the first lesson is more about piquing their curiosity, getting them interested and making them feel welcome than anything else.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

The first section of Siu Lim Tau so we can start to develop structure and the correct path of the elbow for the Ving Tsun straight punch. This is all a "newbie" should learn until results are seen or many problems will occur in the future.

Explaining too much is pointless in the beginning as VT is about concepts and principles and most will not understand. We all have "Karate" mentalities before we begin and this is not good for VT. This is only if the student has began training. If not its easy to explain the whole system in an afternoon. Some will walk away scratching their heads and some will see things clearly. It's a normal problem in VT and why there are so many variations. The human factor.......................

GH

keep it simple as possible..I teach the first section of the SLT, the basic punch and how to move, and some of the ideas behind it. Don't try to explain the whole system in one lesson.
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

Quote Originally Posted by stonecrusher69 View Post
    keep it simple as possible..I teach the first section of the SLT, the basic punch and how to move, and some of the ideas behind it. Don't try to explain the whole system in one lesson.
    I agree. Basic movement of SLT only, no details. Once they can memorize the sequence move on to the next section. However discussion of centerline concept is a must. Simple power training drills also on the day can be introduced.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

First thing I tell everyone is

I Cheat!!

Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post

I Cheat!!

i like this, for obvious reasons

I Cheat!!

LOL, nice!
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

What to teach first?

When I started The Yum Yeurng Academy with my Sihing we had already decided that the page we were teaching had to be completed in one go. There was a set amount of lines to go through in a set period of time, and so we started with a fixed group for a fixed period so everybody was exposed to the same material. We tended to work with small groups of 4-5.

Our first line is our logo, or signature drill, which is accompanied by various therapeutic exercises to develop co-ordination and this is always taught first.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Blog Entries
    I like to teach the following material on "day one".

General defense against

- punch (boxer).
    - front or side kick (TKD guy).
    - roundhouse kick (MT guy).
    - single leg or double legs shooting (wrestler).

Those defense skills may be different from style to style. Since those are the most common defense skills that everybody will need in today's environment, it's very important to deeply insert into new students mind on day one.

The idea of center of gravity
    Basic Footwork
    Basic Punches
    Get them to hit pads and have some fun.

I Cheat!!

Dont trust what I say. try it yourself was one of the first I heard from my instructor when I switched to WC

Stretching followed by Kim Yeung Mah @ Chong Choi (which includes basics of center line theory) and kicking without bending/lowering one's back or changing posture followed by Dim Gerk.
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

I can easily see why there are so many different followings of Wing Chun. Everyone has different emphisis on everything. When you are teaching someone something like Wing Chun you have to start very slowly. You try to shove too much down him right off the bat and none of it will stick. Or he will not remember it just exactly as you told it.
    You have to spend a lot of time dealing with the concepts of WC. Explaining them completely. This can take some time, but doesn't have to be fixed solidly into his brain, as he will remember most of it a little at a time as you teach other stuff, or he will ask, or you can again speak of it. You can not do proper forms without knowing exactly what it is that you are doing, and then you do have to learn the weapons of attack and defense, but you can not teach that much in a single 2 hour lesson. Can't be done. don't be in so much of a hurry.
    Jackie Lee