Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you teach somone during thier first Wing Chun Class?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    What was wrong with it? His 1st fight, maintained a good guard and posture, effective strikes, and maintained balance and distance.

Looked ok to me
    of course it would be nice if the technical crowd put some clips up so we could see what they are talking about

and i know noone would doesnt look like that in their first fight its hard to stay composed when you are getting knocked about with real intent for the first time

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    of course it would be nice if the technical crowd put some clips up so we could see what they are talking about

and i know noone would doesnt look like that in their first fight its hard to stay composed when you are getting knocked about with real intent for the first time
    Yeh, i honestly thought they both looked fine. Id be happy with their performances if i was their coach

I would teach her to learn how to open and close a heavy swing door.
    Why not get her to paint your fence, up down, side side? And then wash your car?

I agree chi sao is not for the first lessons. There is a basic technical foundation that has to be understood first.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

What was wrong with it? His 1st fight, maintained a good guard and posture, effective strikes, and maintained balance and distance.

Looked ok to me
    No legit hand combinations: just left hook, right hook, left hook, right hook. Hands held below your chin isn't up.

If you know better why don't you post a clip of your sparring. The problem if these kids are taken aside and worked with on technique, that's the best they will look. The same for adults.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 07-27-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Yeh, i honestly thought they both looked fine. Id be happy with their performances if i was their coach
    Thankfully you aren't. Both were punching bags with eyeballs without one credible shred of defense.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    No legit hand combinations: just left hook, right hook, left hook, right hook. Hands held below your chin isn't up.
    As i said, 1st fight. Effective combinations arent easy, especially to a novice.

But everyones entitled to their opinion

If you know better why don't you post a clip of your sparring.
    lol we have been here before havent we ?

im not the one saying i can do better so is it down to me to post or those that feel its a bad example of fighting?

Thankfully you aren't. Both were punching bags with eyeballs without one credible shred of defense.
    Well i was trying to keep it nice

Im secure in my opinion of the clip so ill leave it at that.

lol we have been here before havent we ?

im not the one saying i can do better so is it down to me to post or those that feel its a bad example of fighting?
    Those kids where hitting each other about 100% of the time. One credible act of defense would be enough.

Those kids where hitting each other about 100% of the time. One credible act of defense would be enough.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2302539_cope-going-blind.html

couple of punches fell short as did some kicks, you could say that was because the guy defending used footwork defensively, some punches were padded down, a few slipped

No one is argueing its great, what we are saying is most look the same in their first fight, thats all

couple of punches fell short as did some kicks, you could say that was because the guy defending used footwork defensively, some punches were padded down, a few slipped

No one is argueing its great, what we are saying is most look the same in their first fight, thats all
    In spite of the jitter factor, I don't think that those kids were worked with enough. My expectation would have been for two legit combinatons and at least some identifiable defense. I will say that they did at least seem to remain balanced in their stances FWIW. My way philosophy on doing that is to introduce all the major techniques over the course of 3 months to a year without a heavy cardio component.

What do you teach someone during their first Wing Chun Class ?

My thoughts:
    Centerline
    Clock theory
    Gate theory
    Animals
    How to make a fist and striking surface
    stance
    basic footwork (advance, retreat, side step)
    HumbleWCGuy , I would teach them history , centerline theory , WC footwork & stances , hand techniques like the blocks & strikes , punches , kicks from all the 3 forms . Sil Lum Tao set for internal development , and how to make use of everthing featured in the set itself .

You may or may not agree with me , but that ' s okay , because you ' re going to teach what you want to teach concerning WC . So the samething I ' m going to do .

Since we ' re all concerned about self defense in general and we ' re on this WC catagory . I would teach the 2 - sets later as they get familiarized more with the self defense techniques from the 3 - sets of WC . Some people learn fast and some people learn slow , and just incase the people need more time and patient to learn the 2 - sets , I would just teach the people the applications from the 3 - sets .

In other words make the class worth it to stay and learn instead of quitting as times goes by for the students . In other styles of kung fu like Hung Gar , choy li fut , they train in more of the horse stance to build their foundation , for WC people do the stance from the Sil Tao Form as a way of developing the foundation too . The difference is that ma bu or horse stance you can feel the power generating in no time , but when you do the Sil Lum Tao stance it takes time to feel the generation of power in the stance as you ' re doing it . But as times goes by our foundation will develop and it ' ll be worth the training for the students .

Teach the students conditioning of the entire body , by encouraging them to wear those hand and forearm protection which they sell at sporting good stores .So they can start to condition themselves on the wooden dummy and teach them how to apply and use the Dit da jow . This is what I would do if I was to teach my own WC class . And to associate more with the students so that I can help each student reach their individual goals in the class . And of coarse chi sao and the weapons training taught as they progress themselves .

I have an added question for you guys. How long till the first time your sifu had you helping teach the newer students? what type of stuff did you teach them at first that you now would do differently as you have more experience with your system?