Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And he's not even Praying Mantis

And he's not even Praying Mantis

Ran across this while random netsurfing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NUcQMCLHGc

Fast forward to 3:35.

This is what Sup Say Lo tries to teach people. But not many can do it that way.

Looks very mantis! nice
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

well, lets say it uses mantis principles, but looked more like hand to hand - minus mantis flavor.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Not to derail the thread, but what is "mantis flavor"? Is it the principles and spirit of the mantis, or the look? I've always felt that a style's flavor is the principles and spirit behind it, not so much the wrote technique and look of the style.

But that's me.

Cheers,
    Josh

it's the shin stomp - notice the shin stomp - no one pays attention to the shin stomp...

shin stomp -

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    it's the shin stomp - notice the shin stomp - no one pays attention to the shin stomp...

shin stomp -
    Lol! yep, that's mantis flava! But I too think more in principles...
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

did you see how he describes "covering up" to close the distance? I've been borrowing a lot from CMD and have adopted that style of cover. Still getting used to it, but (in my experience) it seems to protect me pretty well while buying time for me to figure out my opponent's rhythm so I can pull off a spontaneous, unrehearsed ou lou tsai and all kinds of other crazy mantis fun.

"buying time" is key in my fight survival strategies...

-N-,

Good find! That knee strike followed by the coiling elbow is commonly found in Mantis forms.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

shin stomp -
    Haha, I thought you'd appreciate that.

did you see how he describes "covering up" to close the distance? I've been borrowing a lot from CMD and have adopted that style of cover. Still getting used to it, but (in my experience) it seems to protect me pretty well while buying time for me to figure out my opponent's rhythm so I can pull off a spontaneous, unrehearsed ou lou tsai and all kinds of other crazy mantis fun.
    At those ranges and speeds, you're already up in his face and crashing his body. You get to impose your rhythm on him, instead of trying to figure out his lead
    Last edited by -N-; 07-26-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    well, lets say it uses mantis principles, but looked more like hand to hand - minus mantis flavor.
    Mantis ideas and aggressiveness.

did you see how he describes "covering up" to close the distance? I've been borrowing a lot from CMD and have adopted that style of cover.
    That cover basically belongs to the same category as the tiou jeong, the palm flipping into long/short guard. Typically seen with cat stance as in line 5 of Sup Say Lo.

We consider tiou jeong as classical stylized, and the other as close range variant of modern practical.

His application of that method is advanced in that he applies the defensive aspect of the tiou simultaneously with his low attack, instead of sequentially.

junojupiter,
    for me the "flavor" of a style means that you can see the characteristics of i.e (an animal) and its mimiced in the movemements and can be clealry seen when performing them.

So in principle and or in sprit could tomato soup be confused with chicken soup? sure could as they are both soups however the flavor or look would obviously tell them apart. hope that helps
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    junojupiter,
    for me the "flavor" of a style means that you can see the characteristics of i.e (an animal) and its mimicked in the movements and can be clearly seen when performing them.

So in principle and or in spirit could tomato soup be confused with chicken soup? sure could as they are both soups however the flavor or look would obviously tell them apart. hope that helps
    Agrees with the big guy!
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!