Thread: New Video Series

New Video Series

I wonder if these are related to the taolu book series? I have been looking for video versions of some of these for some time. There are a bunch of weapons sets as well.

Mei Hua Tang Lang

Mian Quan
    I had the opportunity to learn Mian Quan last year but unfortunately failed to complete it.

Xiao Luohan

Luohan Quan

First 3 sections of Chang Hu Xin Yi Men performed together

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Mian Quan
    I had the opportunity to learn Mian Quan last year but unfortunately failed to complete it.
    Great. Who did you study it with? This is the first time I've seen anyone outside of Shi Deyang's school perform it.

I wonder if these are related to the taolu book series? I have been looking for video versions of some of these for some time.
    If so, I don't know how this taolu got in there, lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axqdvGcAlmQ

It's a shortened and poorly done version of the compulsory Nanquan set in sport Wushu.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Great. Who did you study it with? This is the first time I've seen anyone outside of Shi Deyang's school perform it.
    Where does MianQuan actually come from? Looks and sounds like an interesting subset of Shaolin.

One of Shi Yan Zhuang's disciples. I cannot remember his name at the moment, I will ask when I get a chance.

If so, I don't know how this taolu got in there, lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axqdvGcAlmQ

It's a shortened and poorly done version of the compulsory Nanquan set in sport Wushu.
    Yeah, unfortunately the half-assed Shaolin sport wushu is not the incongruous minority in that playlist. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Crosshandz View Post
    Where does MianQuan actually come from? Looks and sounds like an interesting subset of Shaolin.
    Not completely sure on that. But the over all sequences and postures used are like a Shaolin-modified version of Chen Style Taijiquan. It is not simply Chen Style Taijiquan as done by Shaolin, as we see often. It actually looks like an adaptation from Chen into Shaolin. There are much longer versions of Mianquan sets in which this is much more obvious.

Based on this I would say it is pretty modern. Much more so than Chen Style Taijiquan even. The ancient Shaolin material that directly influenced Chen, like Rouquan, is more primitive looking. Mianquan is clearly a modern Shaolin adaptation of Chen. But come full circle it is pretty interesting.

What other sections follow?

I wonder if these are related to the taolu book series? I have been looking for video versions of some of these for some time. There are a bunch of weapons sets as well.

Mei Hua Tang Lang

Mian Quan

Xiao Luohan

Luohan Quan

First 3 sections of Chang Hu Xin Yi Men performed together

The channel seems to belong to a woman who studies Shaolin Quan. There is one video where she is with a (Martial monk ?) and also another in here home country performing I guess. Maybe you ask her, as I am confused myself. The videos doesnt seem to be really privat made but also more unsual for an DVD/VCD series...

Kind regards,
    Xian

Good question. I thought there were 6. Thinking about it I am not even sure where I developed that assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    The channel seems to belong to a woman who studies Shaolin Quan. There is one video where she is with a (Martial monk ?) and also another in here home country performing I guess. Maybe you ask her, as I am confused myself. The videos doesnt seem to be really privat made but also more unsual for an DVD/VCD series...

Kind regards,
    Xian
    The muzak seems somewhat incongruous for an instructional dvd doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ
    Good question. I thought there were 6. Thinking about it I am not even sure where I developed that assumption.
    Okay, I was looking at it and that's all I know of the form. It's the complete version, unaltered.

It follows exactly the Shaolin Encyclopedia, same directions and all, which has it in three (very long) sections.