Thread: Penjack silat vs Wing chun MMA fight footage

Blog Entries

Penjack silat vs Wing chun MMA fight footage

Thanks for the clip. That clip calls to mind my biggest gripe about WC practioners. I wish that people would stop using the chain punching so much. It's way over-emphasized to "show" WC. A tight "jab, cross" combo is just as much WC as a chain punch.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 07-27-2011 at 08:57 AM.

I agree chain punches need to be set up more latteral movement and use of angles set them up a lot better then just going straight in, otherwise it becomes to one dimesional, foot work is the key. straight punches work great from a self defence situation , but def need to be set up when in a comp or sparring situation

Footwork is a good point. A lot of TMA fighters seem to lumber a bit, rather than take smooth decisive steps.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    Thanks for the clip. That clip calls to mind my biggest gripe about WC practioners. I wish that people would stop using the chain punching so much. It's way over-emphasized to "show" WC. A tight "jab, cross" combo is just as much WC as a chain punch.
    Good Midwestern logic. (I was born in MI)
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Another funny coincidence. I was just training with some boxers recently, and some of their bag work drills involve "burn-outs". This is a one minute timed assault on a bag getting as many punches in as possible. Boxing's version of the chain punch. I asked about the purpose or the drill and they said it was helpful in training finishing an opponent when you have them in trouble.

Small world.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Good Midwestern logic. (I was born in MI)
    LOL. That might be what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Another funny coincidence. I was just training with some boxers recently, and some of their bag work drills involve "burn-outs". This is a one minute timed assault on a bag getting as many punches in as possible. Boxing's version of the chain punch. I asked about the purpose or the drill and they said it was helpful in training finishing an opponent when you have them in trouble.

Small world.
    I haven't thought of the WC chain punch as a finisher although perhaps some could use it as such.

Is the boxing version significantly different? Where you working with lighter boxers? I don't see too many big guys using the volume approach.

Phill might be able to compare and contrast for us. He has a unique perspective as trains some professional boxers and decent WC fighters.

Hi Wayfaring,

Burns outs/Punch Outs/Olympic Punch Outs, as used by boxers are a great way to train straight punching, although in boxing, the biomechanics tend to be different e.g. elbow out, up on toe positions.

In addition, I was taught that Straight Punching (chain punching) is a back-up system for a failed attack and not a primary strategic response.

Suki
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

Is the boxing version significantly different? Where you working with lighter boxers? I don't see too many big guys using the volume.
    yes different. Similar hip elbow connection but with jab cross hook as well. The uppercut punches and hooks to body are similar elbow down punches.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wei Wu View Post
    Hi Wayfaring,

Burns outs/Punch Outs/Olympic Punch Outs, as used by boxers are a great way to train straight punching, although in boxing, the biomechanics tend to be different e.g. elbow out, up on toe positions.
    probably would be a decent conditioning drill for wc punching on the bag as well. True about mechanics but boxers finishing transition to more flat and wider stance. Uppercuts are thrown from there.
    In addition, I was taught that Straight Punching (chain punching) is a back-up system for a failed attack and not a primary strategic response.

Suki
    secondary strategic response for me. Metal- pursuit cutting finishing. In the timeframe where you own centerline and have your opponent in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    The captions of Pentjak-silat vs wing chun is irrelevant in that looking at the sanshou type contest (kicking and punching basically) it is not evident by their respective displays of skill. One sees one is good at 'puching' and the other is good at kicking BUT only the better trained and coditioned fighter will win because of and in spite of their wing chun/pentjak-silat background.

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    The captions of Pentjak-silat vs wing chun is irrelevant in that looking at the sanshou type contest (kicking and punching basically) it is not evident by their respective displays of skill. One sees one is good at 'puching' and the other is good at kicking BUT only the better trained and coditioned fighter will win because of and in spite of their wing chun/pentjak-silat background.
    Upright arts are, "kicking and punching basically." When we forget that, we lose effectiveness. The fighters demonstrate enough that I would recognize their arts.