Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playing Wing Chun

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan View Post
    More ChernKiu Sao.
    I think the answer is in drilling. Just so say, "spar," without giving people the correct tools is about the hardest way imaginable to develop any art. It will happen, but it will take longer, and it is essentially telling people that they are on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by nasmedicine View Post
    IMHO, The only time you play Wing Chun is in chi sao/gor sao...etc. The example given in the link is not an example of any of those, rather it's an example of two inexperienced students trying to win point on who can land a tap/ "hit" first.
    It happens a lot more with inexperienced people. But:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGq16earzl8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvUP76MbtJE
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 07-28-2011 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    I think the answer is in drilling. Just so say, "spar," without giving people the correct tools is about the hardest way imaginable to develop any art. It will happen, but it will take longer, and it is essentially telling people that they are on their own.
    Which is why I said "More ChernKiu Sao" instead of "More MaaiSeung Jong".

Regardless, you are applying your own definition of "sparring" to create a strawman. Sparring isn't a fight and you are not on your own. Perhaps a lot of "sparring" you wouldn't call sparring, but it is the umbrella most western arts use to cover exactly what you are trying to suggest is not sparring but merely drilling.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 07-28-2011 at 11:56 AM.
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    both videos are good example of controlled wing chun playing in general (i'm sure there are those who will nit pick it to death, including myself). The second video was something more to my definition of "playing" wing chun. In the first video i feel that if they had some equipment on they could have been less uninhibited, especially with their kicking and footwork.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Quote Originally Posted by nasmedicine View Post
    IMHO, The only time you play Wing Chun is in chi sao/gor sao...etc. The example given in the link is not an example of any of those, rather it's an example of two inexperienced students trying to win point on who can land a tap/ "hit" first.
    Aim at hitting the opponent and you will get just that - hitting the opponent; and you will be defeated. Instead, focus on completely demolishing your opponent.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    Aim at hitting the opponent and you will get just that - hitting the opponent; and you will be defeated. Instead, focus on completely demolishing your opponent.
    Agreed. .
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Which is why I said "More ChernKiu Sao" instead of "More MaaiSeung Jong".
    Yup, and... I was agreeing with you.
    Regardless, you are applying your own definition of "sparring" to create a strawman. Sparring isn't a fight and you are not on your own. Perhaps a lot of "sparring" you wouldn't call sparring, but it is the umbrella most western arts use to cover exactly what you are trying to suggest is not sparring but merely drilling.
    I am calling it sparring because that's what the people who posted the videos thought it was.

Good sparring, light or hard is dynamic and fluid. The hands move like whipping branches. Stiff defense, reaching, one punch attacks, and lumbering footwork passed off as sparring contribute to playing Wing Chun.