Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on a serious matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    you seem very insecure. why the agressive posture?
    it's easier for the animation team to draw him like that...

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    my point exactly; staying with one's sifu even when they have compromised the relationship because one makes a personal choice to do so, hey, fine; doing so because of some abstract set of values is just insanity; to wit: I was with Chan Tai San for about 5 years; I left because it became clear that that was not my place; after searching around for a few more years, I found my current teacher in 1995; in the past I have been accused of abandoning CTS, but that never bothered me, because I knew that if i had stayed, I wouldn't have been true to myself, and ultimately it would have resulted in an untenable situation; so people need to listen to that little voice inside themselves and follow it, despite any external societal pressures that may exist;
    I had numerous teachers over the years, I strongly identify with two, will admit a few more did influence me a lot, but only in kung fu theatre land does someone stay with one teacher for life

Heck, CTS had like 50 something teachers in his life
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

loyalty to teachers is safe fantasy roleplay but makes you feel like you accomplished something

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

you seem very insecure. why the agressive posture?
    It's personal, we have a history.

&
    What's it to you?:D
    LMAO
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

it's easier for the animation team to draw him like that...
    Yea I'm so ashamed.....
    Last edited by Lokhopkuen; 07-31-2011 at 02:51 PM.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

and if he sold out and compromised his integrity in your eyes, even after you talk to him about it, would you still cling to him???
    I'd never take up study with such an individual in the first place

but thanks for asking
    Last edited by Lokhopkuen; 07-31-2011 at 02:37 PM.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

my point exactly; staying with one's sifu even when they have compromised the relationship because one makes a personal choice to do so, hey, fine; doing so because of some abstract set of values is just insanity; to wit: I was with Chan Tai San for about 5 years; I left because it became clear that that was not my place; after searching around for a few more years, I found my current teacher in 1995; in the past I have been accused of abandoning CTS, but that never bothered me, because I knew that if i had stayed, I wouldn't have been true to myself, and ultimately it would have resulted in an untenable situation; so people need to listen to that little voice inside themselves and follow it, despite any external societal pressures that may exist;
    exactly, and YOUR training is all about YOU anyways... why compromise that for anyone? sort of defeats the purpose, doncha think...

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post

but thanks for asking
    how would you know?

if they disapoint you then that implies that they had been good to you up until that point... otherwise it wouldnt be much of a disapointment would it???

how would you know?

if they disapoint you then that implies that they had been good to you up until that point... otherwise it wouldnt be much of a disapointment would it???
    I understand what you are saying and I count myself very lucky in my experiences. Disappointment is based on expectation, all I expected was to learn martial and got so much more than I ever dreamed. I found myself disappointed many times in the course of my studies only to realize later I had been childish and selfish indulging my ego unable to see the big picture.

There were so many good answers on this thread before my post so I decided to play the devils advocate by mentioning loyalty as a factor and then master-baiter came along and whipped me into an unwitting frenzy hence my "aggression" LOL!
    Last edited by Lokhopkuen; 07-31-2011 at 03:32 PM.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

but thanks for asking
    looking good, man - new diet's working out nice, especially that whipped frenzy for desert!

It's personal, we have a history.
    we do?did I miss something?

that IS an awesome clip, to be sure - "He wasn't around when I woke up, I'll tell you that much...", lol!

Some schools try to adopt and enforce the Confucian submission to authority, your instructor is your Master/Father tradition. They forget this is America where it is tradition to question authority and resist abuse of power!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Some schools try to adopt and enforce the Confucian submission to authority, your instructor is your Master/Father tradition. They forget this is America where it is tradition to question authority and resist abuse of power!
    If the instructor is just any other Western shmuck like me and tries to act like that then I won't have the time of day for him. Because then it's fake and posing. But if it's someone who really comes from and represents the Confucian culture then I think it's good to try to adjust and accomodate. For instance as a bare minimum not to question, resist, joke around during training or in front of other students. To me there are some valuable lessons to be learned from just accepting the situation and letting one's proud individualistic ego scream away inside till it shuts up for a while. (it's not like it won't come back, the tenacious bugger)
    Last edited by rett; 08-01-2011 at 12:24 AM.

looking good, man - new diet's working out nice, especially that whipped frenzy for desert!
    Whip???????
    Last edited by Lokhopkuen; 08-01-2011 at 01:16 AM.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

we do?did I miss something?

that IS an awesome clip, to be sure - "He wasn't around when I woke up, I'll tell you that much...", lol!

I heard that
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi