Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Wing Chun - Why doesn't Pak sau work?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Bridged? Meaning what?
    My arm in contact with opponents arm

Quote Originally Posted by IRONMONK View Post
    My arm in contact with opponents arm
    So you think in the wildness of a fight with arms and legs flaining everywhere that you will have time to make any prolonged contact with somebodies forearm do you?

The big problem with Wing Chun................................

GH

So you think in the wildness of a fight with arms and legs flaining everywhere that you will have time to make any prolonged contact with somebodies forearm do you?

GH
    I hate to admit it but i agree with this statement. Pak sau is best used as an offensive technique. It is also useful for switching or half beat timing, but as a "block" in a real fight it's highly unrealistic. Which makes since anyways considering there are really no true blocks in WC. Only attacks..... I was really hoping this guy did a follow up video but I guess it's not coming....

You guys aren't understanding what he's saying.

There are many different ranges in fighting. Not simply striking range... Wild punches or not. For example clinch range.

Also timing is alive, variable and dependent upon space. What you may consider necessary for bridging timewise... and what he may consider necessary are most likely two different things in terms of both strategy and application.

While I can't speak for him, I do think you two are writing him off rather quickly.

GH
    Duende is correct-it depends on range and situation

ideally i would be attacking and offlining when opponent comes into range

Quote Originally Posted by Subitai View Post
    My 1st reaction even before he threw the 1st "testing"
    It reminds me of some a-holes who kinda sneak up on you at a party, get REALLY CLOSE to you and say..."Oh you know Martial arts huh?" "Well what you would do if I did this...?"
    My friends love to tell people I do MA and I hate when people do this crap! I've gotten to the point I just walk away... If they throw something i usually block it but do so in a way that makes them look very foolish for trying!
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

The Pak Sau can be modified to utilize as a block or to intercept a punch.

One simply has to change the force and speed of the Pak to make it able to use against certain punches. For instance you wouldnt do a inside tan da against a hook would you.

Doing a Tan Da inside the person gates or doors is utilize for straight swing arms like choy li fut or hung gar. Not boxing. Against a boxer a tan da from the outside or flank is more feasible.

The Pak Sau and the way you use always depends on the range of your opponent and your foot work.

For instance against a jab. A fast pak sau while back stepping is use to not just intercept your opponent but time him for change to bridge, trap and strike simultaneously.

The Pak Sau is good for timing an opponent.

Pak Da in its in fullest is most useful of course for an entry technique when you attack. That is if unless your Pak Da is rigid and lacks fluity like guy is demostrating on the video!
    Last edited by Yoshiyahu; 10-14-2011 at 01:12 PM.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

JKD pak sao works just fine, trust me.

Pak Da dont work

Sure you can block with Pak Sau....

Your Pak Sau has to be fluid and flowing not rigid and weak.

for instance I throw several right and left crosses. You back pedal with your horse while pak,pak,pak,pak. Interchangeable with both hands. Or you Pak Tan continously to intercept the punch while timeing me for the jut da or lop da. Pak is good for intercepting a punch. In Wing Chun we don't merely block a punch and leave it there. We intercept it and turn the force away from our center line or turn it down...Force is received by WC hand, Then it is dispersed or turned off by that hand. Huen Sau and Tan Sau are but a few techiques for dispersing force.

But Pak Sau does work both offensively and defensively...

You need to use it while sparring to figure out how to use it though. Each technique needs to be tweaked according to the situtation.

If ne one says Pak Sau doesnt work. Maybe they are a chi sau master who never puts on the gloves and go at it.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"