Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun - Why doesn't Pak sau work?

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    me too please...
    I need your email addy.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

So hopefully the idea that William Cheung made up the concept of fighting on the blindside (lo yat bin san), and that ALL WC people should fight down the middle regardless of the relative size of your opponent will be changed after hearing what Yip Man taught to Sifu Chan Chee Man. But then again the nature of our WC/VT/WT family is to argue anyway so I guess I'm hoping for too much......
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 08-14-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

There is a lot more good stuff on this DVD. I love the part where Sifu Chan who was a Choy Lee Fat fighter, challenged William Cheung. He lost the first time in front of other people. He asked Cheung later to fight him again with no one around. He lost that fight. He decided to ask Cheung to take him to Yip Man. You can buy the whole DVD here:
    http://www.everythingwingchun.com/Se...e+man&x=9&y=13
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    So hopefully the idea that William Cheung made up the concept of fighting on the blindside (lo yat bin san), and that ALL WC people should fight down the middle regardless of the relative size of your opponent will be changed after hearing what Yip Man taught to Sifu Chan Chee Man. But then again the nature of our WC/VT/WT family is to argue anyway so I guess I'm hoping for too much......
    WC has methods for operating on the inside or outside line. "Blind side" is just an adopted western term along with "flanking" and so fourth. Though I do give props up GM Cheung for his choice in western terms.

Some people make big deals out of nothing in what is only silly attempts to discredit others.

The real problem is WC dogmatism, and when it's practioners can only operate on one line and not the other.
    Last edited by duende; 08-14-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duende View Post
    WC has methods for operating on the inside or outside line. "Blind side" is just an adopted western term along with "flanking" and so fourth.

Some people make a big deals out of nothing.

The real problem is WC dogmatism, and when it's practioners can only operate on one line and not the other.
    Agreed....
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Saw the clip , thanks ! yes this is what WSL does too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2iKREiPLpk

Clip with CCM and Jose Ortiz, I met Jose and we did some chi-sao in Barcelona years back while he was studying WSL lineage , not sure who under ? Nino Bernardo ?. I was with, training and assisting, V Kan then, so couldnt really pick brains about ideas . J Ortiz is a nice guy though friendly students.

Saw the clip , thanks ! yes this is what WSL does too.
    Cool, I still say that none of us has the holy grail to WC/VT/WT/YC. We should strive to do the best we can with what we've learned.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Cool, I still say that none of us has the holy grail to WC/VT/WT/YC. We should strive to do the best we can with what we've learned.
    Personally , I think the chalice from the palace holds the brew that is true...but wait I hear you cry ! ... the flagon with the dragon holds the pellet with the poison !... no the vessel with the pestle holds the brew that is true

Personally , I think the chalice from the palace holds the brew that is true...but wait I hear you cry ! ... the flagon with the dragon holds the pellet with the poison !... no the vessel with the pestle holds the brew that is true
    No you didn't??? Now I have to buy that movie. It's a classic....
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2iKREiPLpk

Clip with CCM and Jose Ortiz, I met Jose and we did some chi-sao in Barcelona years back while he was studying WSL lineage , not sure who under ? Nino Bernardo ?. I was with, training and assisting, V Kan then, so couldnt really pick brains about ideas . J Ortiz is a nice guy though friendly students.
    I assisted Clive Potter at a seminar at Jose Ortiz's school in Barcelona many moons ago. Jose is a nice guy but the Ving Tsun was a mixture of many things. I think he was trying out V.Kan stuff when I went. Got pretty drunk though I remember that! LOL

GH

Wing Chun - Why does ' nt pak sau work ?

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    What do you guys think? Why doesn't the pak sau work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe0OM...el_video_title
    Actually the guy in white needs to sidestep to the left in order for his left pak sau ,
    to work against his partners right punch . To me pak sau was made to work against a right or left punch comming straight at you as seen in the video . The punch comes in so fast that you need to sidestep either to the right or left , depending on if it ' s a right or left punch being thrown at you . In this the guy in the white was standing in a neutral stance which he can only stop the punch with a trapping technique . But if he only would sidestep the oncomming punch then the pak sau would ' ve work , so in WC the footwork and the positioning of the entire body would work against certain technique . Our eyes work like a radar , about to respond to the opponents attack .

But it takes practice and training to make the techniques work good , and any kind of technique regardless of what martial arts it came from would always be a center of argument or debate .

Wing Chun - Why does ' nt pak sau work ?

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    What do you guys think? Why doesn't the pak sau work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe0OM...el_video_title
    Actually the guy in white needs to sidestep to the left in order for his left pak sau ,
    to work against his partners right punch . To me pak sau was made to work against a right or left punch comming straight at you as seen in the video . The punch comes in so fast that you need to sidestep either to the right or left , depending on if it ' s a right or left punch being thrown at you . In this the guy in the white was standing in a neutral stance which he can only stop the punch with a trapping technique . But if he only would sidestep the oncomming punch then the pak sau would ' ve work , so in WC the footwork and the positioning of the entire body would work against certain technique . Our eyes work like a radar , about to respond to the opponents attack .

But it takes practice and training to make the techniques work good , and any kind of technique regardless of what martial arts it came from would always be a center of argument or debate .

pretty hard to defend yourself against a punch from close range unless you have already bridged with opponent

Quote Originally Posted by IRONMONK View Post
    unless you have already bridged with opponent
    Bridged? Meaning what?