Thread: any comments on this xingyi clip?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Crosshandz View Post
    I like Su Dong Chen's Xingyi. From the clips I've seen of him Su's pedagogical method seems to be to make everything he's doing as obvious to his students so they understand it. Its easy seeing from the video linked above how the five fists blend together into this sort of application, which again Su makes sure to demonstrate the mechanics of for the interested watcher's benefit. I've always thought it'd be quite cool to learn Su's Xingyi...

in my opinion, Su is a great postures practioners.

However,
    Su doesnt have the fajing kung fu such as the above post.

I look at other Su's application clip and his power generation is usual karate, boxing, wu shu or ordinary people type. his inside and outside three synchronization (Nei Wai Shan Her) is good for posturing but when it comes to momentum generation he doesnt do it at all or just being very plain similar to the wushu person above.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 07-30-2011 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    in my opinion, Su is a great postures practioners.

However,
    Su doesnt have the fajing kung fu such as the above post.

I look at other Su's application clip and his power generation is usual karate, boxing, wu shu or ordinary people type. his inside and outside three synchronization (Nei Wai Shan Her) is good for posturing but when it comes to momentum generation he doesnt do it at all or just being very plain similar to the wushu person above.
    I think in Su's five elements you can see him very gently tightening his fists and then relaxing them again. I have never met Su Dong Chen but to my eyes the key components of timing, posture, tension, relaxation, rising, drilling, falling and overturning are there in his Xingyi. I assumed watching him that there was some reason why he didn't want to display the Fajing overtly.

The same components are present in Feng Zhengbao's Xingyi. However, Feng's intention in this particular instance is not pedagogical as Su Dong Chen's clearly was but to display Xingyi's true power. This is great if you know what you're looking at but if you have no idea you would miss a lot you would just see Feng moving rapidly without being able to understand how he's generating his power.

It comes down to the intention of the two masters in the two different instances. I'm sure if Feng were your teacher he would slow down and show you exactly at what stage he was wrapping, coiling, how it related to his breathing, the turning of his wrists, forearm etc.etc. Likewise I'm sure if Su was seriously fighting someone he would be showing all the elements of Fajing that he and his Kung fu brothers such as Xu Hongji and Luo Dexiu gained rewown for.
    Last edited by Crosshandz; 07-30-2011 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Figured if I was gonna talk about the TST Xingyi it'd be best to mention Luo Dexiu ;)

Thumbs up

Serendipity...

Xingyiquan by Feng Zheng-bao

In the partner exercises shown here by Feng you see a lot more of the mechanics he blitzes through elsewhere. Top quality Xingyi.
    Last edited by Crosshandz; 07-30-2011 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Had to substitute ****z-es for blitzes. Didn't even know 'to ****z' was a bad verb.

Serendipity...

Xingyiquan by Feng Zheng-bao

In the partner exercises shown here by Feng you see a lot more of the mechanics he blitzes through elsewhere. Top quality Xingyi.

For me, CXW and the first Xingyi player's momentum handling preceed Feng alots.

Feng's above clip actually shows Feng's issue in handling momentum, he is still fragmented/rigid compare with CXW and the first Xingyi player, thus he will not get as fast acceleration and power.

I know nothing of "true internal" anything but it seems to me Feng shifu's techniques had a lot of "wind-up" to it, if you know what I mean.

Like he has to charge up and then explode.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    I know nothing of "true internal" anything but it seems to me Feng shifu's techniques had a lot of "wind-up" to it, if you know what I mean.

Like he has to charge up and then explode.

i feel exhausted just by watching him.

Thanks for the comments. It gave me some different ideas for what to look at.

I'm wondering especially if the shaking looks like a real expression of power or if it is just decorative shaking. The kind internal guys sometimes are into but seems more like fluff than substance.

I think in Su's five elements you can see him very gently tightening his fists and then relaxing them again. I have never met Su Dong Chen but to my eyes the key components of timing, posture, tension, relaxation, rising, drilling, falling and overturning are there in his Xingyi. I assumed watching him that there was some reason why he didn't want to display the Fajing overtly.

The same components are present in Feng Zhengbao's Xingyi. However, Feng's intention in this particular instance is not pedagogical as Su Dong Chen's clearly was but to display Xingyi's true power. This is great if you know what you're looking at but if you have no idea you would miss a lot you would just see Feng moving rapidly without being able to understand how he's generating his power.

It comes down to the intention of the two masters in the two different instances. I'm sure if Feng were your teacher he would slow down and show you exactly at what stage he was wrapping, coiling, how it related to his breathing, the turning of his wrists, forearm etc.etc. Likewise I'm sure if Su was seriously fighting someone he would be showing all the elements of Fajing that he and his Kung fu brothers such as Xu Hongji and Luo Dexiu gained rewown for.

For me, technical speaking

The first clip, Zeng both have the same type of fajing kung fu foundation as CXW here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyl8m...eature=related

Su and Luo have the same type of patterns, and dont have that type of kung fu the above three expose to.

in fact,

Su, in the following clip has shown his difficulties to handle his own momentum at motion in slow speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BOl6zpaxK8

Su is certainly in trouble if facing an mmA. Not CXW and the first XingYi player who has ability to fajing on different part of the body.