Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scientists name saddest movie scene ever

Scientists name saddest movie scene ever

"It’s a scientific fact—Ricky Schroder can make grown men cry.

As reported in Smithsonian.com, psychologists who study human emotions in laboratory settings have found that Shroeder’s performance in the final scene of Franco Zeffirelli’s “The Champ” reliably makes their test subjects sad on cue.

(Spoiler Alert)

“Champ, wake up!” wails Schroder’s T.J. as his father, a washed-up boxer played by Jon Voight, lays dying in the 1979 tear-jerker.

“The Champ” has been used in a wide range of experiments across the globe to gauge human reaction to sad events—the film is cited in more than 300 scientific articles.

Schroeder’s weepy towheaded T.J. helped scientists discover that depressed people are no more likely to cry than non-depressed people, that men and women are more like to spend money when sad, and that older folks are more sensitive to grief than their younger counterparts.

Dutch scientists even learned that a sobbing Schroeder didn’t make people with binge eating disorders reach for the Doritos more often than usual.

But how did an emotionally wrought scene from a cheesy ‘70s movie become a favored stimulus for scientists?

In 1988, UC Berkley psychology professor Robert Levenson and his graduate student James Gross started searching for film scenes that would reliably get their subjects sniffling.

It wasn’t easy—the project lasted years. In 1995, Gross and Levenson published their discovery that three minutes of a grief-stricken Schroeder made more people sad than any other film clip—including the bellwether death scene in “Bambi.”

“It’s wonderful for our purposes,” Levenson says of Schroeder’s schmaltz. “The theme of irrevocable loss, it’s all compressed into that two or three minutes.”

What do you think is the saddest movie moment of all time? Watch the clips and vote below. (More spoilers below)"

Source: (Includes several movie clips and a poll)
    http://entertainment.blogs.foxnews.c...ry/?test=faces

wow, someone gave them money for that?

I think I know where the deficit problem is coming from.

stupid studies like this one!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I don't believe the Federal Government paid for those studies. It said one was done by Dutch scientists and the other at UC Berkley.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ-Blue View Post
    I don't believe the Federal Government paid for those studies. It said one was done by Dutch scientists and the other at UC Berkley.
    so berkley is in france then? lol

The dutch...the freaky deeky dutch.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    so berkley is in france then? lol
    No, but it's either a private university or a State university. The Federal Government does not pay it's bills. Of course California is broke as well...

"It’s a scientific fact—Ricky Schroder can make grown men cry.

As reported in Smithsonian.com, psychologists who study human emotions in laboratory settings have found that Shroeder’s performance in the final scene of Franco Zeffirelli’s “The Champ” reliably makes their test subjects sad on cue.

sounds like money well spent... hopefully it was a major taxpayer funded study(federal, state, local, whatever) with tons of controls, spanning multiple generations of subjects... 400 million should be enough money, well worth it.

You guys baffle me. When the Gov't spends trillions on the War on Poverty and poverty only increases or when they spend billions on a 'stimulus' only to see unemployment rise, you guys don't complain about the wasted taxpayer money. But when some study of sad movies is done at a public university, you guys are are suddenly concerned about how taxpayer's money is being spent.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad blue View Post
    I baffle me. When the Gov't spends trillions on two unneccessary wars that put our country on the brink of bankruptcy, I don't complain about the wasted taxpayer money. But when some kid gets a free meal at a school because his mom makes $6/hour cleaning toilets, I am suddenly concerned about how taxpayer's money is being spent.
    Fixed that.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Can't feed em, dont breed em.

Another way to say that might be "If you can't pay for the bombs, you shouldn't be dropping them."
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Another way to say that might be "If you can't pay for the bombs, you shouldn't be dropping them."
    The bombs accomplish their goals, welfare only breeds more welfare.

Speaking of wars, I don't recall you calling the community organizer to task for starting a 3rd war we can't pay for. Maybe I missed it though.

Speaking of wars, I don't recall you calling the community organizer to task for starting a 3rd war we can't pay for. Maybe I missed it though.
    LOL. You have to actually have goals for those bombs to accomplish them.

And I don't agree with any intervention in Libya, either.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    LOL. You have to actually have goals for those bombs to accomplish them.
    They've killed Saddam, bin-Laden, many other top level Al-quaida leaders, brought democracy to Iraq, removed the Taliban from power in Afghanistan, and prevented any more 9/11s. I'd say those are pretty good accomplishments.

And fyi, I don't mean bombs themselves literally did those things, but the spending on the wars did. I'm just using the word "bombs" as a metaphor for the war expenditures.

I just think it funny that a guy who teaches others to defend themselves is against our nation defending itself when thousands of innocent Americans are murdered.

I just think it funny that a guy who teaches others to defend themselves is against our nation defending itself when thousands of innocent Americans are murdered.
    I only teach my students to defend themselves against those whom ACTUALLY attack them.

Attacking the neighbor of your actual attacker is not self-defense. And attacking the neighbor of your actual attacker in an effort to scare your actual attacker into not attacking you anymore is beyond ridiculous.