Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KIMBO SLICE gets schooled

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    personally id give it credit if he could show those principles in action against kimbo, should be easy to do right...............
    having people post some actual "hard" proof would be like finding the ark of the convenant or something of that nature.

but as "someone" posted above this is a window into the what "traditionalists" consider wisdom and concepts.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

I liked how he said that moving side to side created an optical illusion that allowed him to move forward more easily, nothing to do with avoiding punches.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    Do do you think that boxing trainers who haven't fought are less proficient than ones who have?
    i think its hard to teach something you have never done

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I agree. It can be difficult. I tend to see it as a mixed bag. They don't really know so they can over train guys, misinterpret ring situations, or give generally incorrect advice in adverse situations that they have no experience in.

I think that professional coaches who have never actually done something can be very good in certain ways. Sometimes they may be very good mitt holders, know a lot of drills, or have good conditioning routines. Because they didn't fight, they have developed other skills, or knowledge with the extra time. Guys who have never trained can also run good gyms because of other factors like being good at the business and creating the right environment to train in.

Agreed. Almost all of the best sports coaches I know used to also be athletes in that sport to some degree, even though some didn't compete at the highest levels of their sport.

You have to have some direct knowledge of the nuances of the game to really have someone excell at it.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Marc Laimon is a good MMA grappling trainer who never fought.

Cus D'Amato and Angelo Dundee are boxing trainers who never fought. Dundee is in the International Boxing Hall of Fame as a trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    Actually kimbos boxing isn't that bad, it's just everything else in his arsenal that sucks.
    Kimbo isn't a great mma fighter or anything, but he has sense enough not to telegraph his punches as do most boxers.
    Kimbo is making his boxing debut on August 13th against 39 year old James Wade who is 0-1.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I'm in total agreement with his alignment, elbow down, non-telegraphic movement, etc.
    I'm not too keen on his power generation, however. The way he's throwing it, I am not sure if it has enough body behind the blow. If he can do the same thing but engage his body more during the power chain, it would be quick, not telegraphic, and powerful.
    That is why it is not good to take kung fu principles and mix them with other "irrelevant" martial arts. The thinking behind the principles have been done for us a 100 years ago, or more. So, we need to practice the correct way, in order to get the full benefit.

The boxer who was showing this stuff to Kimbo, was obviously no kung fu fighter, but he had somehow come to the conclusion that his way had benefits, which is fair enough, but as I stated before, what he was showing was just a small window into the profoundness of the TCMAs.

personally id give it credit if he could show those principles in action against kimbo, should be easy to do right...............
    Irrelevant. The principles of not telegraphing your move to the opponent shoule make sense to any actual fighter, even if they are taught to you by a 75 year old man.

It just makes sense. Also, the fact that sometimes you can be slow, yet you can be more effective than fast, should be something that provokes a figher or a potential fighter, into researching this concept further.

If I watched this without sound, I would agree with you. Since I paid attention to the audio, I thought it was a mixed bag of faulty logic and show boating. The, "instructor," demonstrated martial arts technique, but nothing he said was worthwhile.
    I am only going with the TCMA principles that I saw, and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    That is why it is not good to take kung fu principles and mix them with other "irrelevant" martial arts. The thinking behind the principles have been done for us a 100 years ago, or more. So, we need to practice the correct way, in order to get the full benefit.

The boxer who was showing this stuff to Kimbo, was obviously no kung fu fighter, but he had somehow come to the conclusion that his way had benefits, which is fair enough, but as I stated before, what he was showing was just a small window into the profoundness of the TCMAs.
    hes not a boxer, he is an actor, which means its all theory he has never actually fought a skilled opponent with head strikes allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    Irrelevant. The principles of not telegraphing your move to the opponent shoule make sense to any actual fighter, even if they are taught to you by a 75 year old man.

It just makes sense. Also, the fact that sometimes you can be slow, yet you can be more effective than fast, should be something that provokes a figher or a potential fighter, into researching this concept further.
    nope unless you can show it in action its useless, principles like that are great, ever wonder why you dont see fighters like kimbo using methods like that.....

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    actually, he has quite an extensive Martial arts background, including Kyokushin. Just because he has not fought in a cage does not mean he hasn't fought. But..yeah, you're right. He's not a pro fighter, and there is a huge difference.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

nope unless you can show it in action its useless, principles like that are great, ever wonder why you dont see fighters like kimbo using methods like that.....
    You are mainly referring to the slow punch?

Tell that to Bela Karolyi!