Thread: distance to kwoon?

distance to kwoon?

I was just wondering how far everyone drives to their kwoon? Did u look for one close in your area or did u just look for the style and sifu you wanted regardless of distance? Have you trained somewhere far before but ended up going somewhere closer?

Mine is two flights of stairs down.

Not a drop of gas wasted getting there!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Mine is....the back yard! Even if the sun in the South tries to tell me to "go the hell inside, MR!!"

yeah i live in AZ so training in the daytime isnt an option lol

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    My teacher is in Chinatown-about an hour, hour and a half's drive. Sometimes we trained in Brooklyn, same distance for me.
    Not bad, but coming back at 2am is hard.
    Now, I'm spoiled. We have classes at my school, and my Si-Hing drives him out.
    One of my Sifus lived in New Jersey, so I would drive out to his house and stay the weekend. The drive out on Saturday was two and a half hours, the drive back Sunday night at 11pm was an hour and a half.
    I recall my Sifu taking an inquiry on the phone. The person said that since he was in the next town over (we're talking fifteen minutes) it was too far.
    He asked me, dumbfounded,"Do you mean to tell me that a person would choose a Sifu by proximity?!!"
    I told him, "Sifu, people pick their dentist by proximity, why should they think any differently?"
    Personally, I would travel for both, if they were good-and I do.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    My teacher is in Chinatown-about an hour, hour and a half's drive.
    I can relate tentigers i have two sifus and both are an hour away from me, but why sacrifice quality for convenience

Fourteen miles
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

whats a kwoon? one of them viet thai fusion restaurants?

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I dont train at a "kwoon" anymore; other than iron palm, I only train in a family Filipino art now. Nevertheless, my nearest teacher is 6 hours away and I spend 3-4 weeks every year training at his residence. Additionally, the headquarters is stationed in Manila, of which I spend most of March every year training there (~24 hours travel time by plane). The rest of the time Im training is teaching...

Distance doesnt matter to me; Id go any distance and pay any price to train with the seniors of the art I study.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumDragon View Post
    I dont train at a "kwoon" anymore; other than iron palm, I only train in a family Filipino art now. Nevertheless, my nearest teacher is 6 hours away and I spend 3-4 weeks every year training at his residence. Additionally, the headquarters is stationed in Manila, of which I spend most of March every year training there (~24 hours travel time by plane). The rest of the time Im training is teaching...

Distance doesnt matter to me; Id go any distance and pay any price to train with the seniors of the art I study.
    wow thats dedication. lots of respect for ya

Blog Entries
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-02-2011 at 08:28 PM.

U know ive seen these threads lately about people quitting this forum saying they cant handle it, but most of the people in this thread have all contributed positively and I dont understand why those people decide to go elsewhere. This is the internet and you cant get mad at all the retards on forums or you'd never go on any again. anyone else agree?

Blog Entries
    Agree! I don't mind to argue with my TCMA "brothers". After all, they are one of us.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-02-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shaolin_allan View Post
    U know ive seen these threads lately about people quitting this forum saying they cant handle it, but most of the people in this thread have all contributed positively and I dont understand why those people decide to go elsewhere. This is the internet and you cant get mad at all the retards on forums or you'd never go on any again. anyone else agree?
    Well, for the most part, the "I quit" threads are a joke.
    One or two guys probably needed a break or weren't that into it anyway.
    I guess talking about it is part of the healing process? I don't know....lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.