Thread: The Mystery of Ving Tsun - WSL

The Mystery of Ving Tsun - WSL

The Mystery of Ving Tsun – Wong Shun Leung

It has been 26 years since I learnt Ving Tsun pugilism. I have gained a lot of experiences in the field of Martial Arts. Some factions can still exist whilst some cannot survive. As far as Ving Tsun is concerned some instructors are very democratic whilst some are very strict. Therefore the quality and standards of instructors will vary. More-over there are also variations in method of instructions. Because of the difference of the instructors learning and their ignorance of the moral concepts of Ving Tsun there are many differences found in the same faction. This really surprises all the fans of Ving Tsun. Although there are many faithful practitioners of Ving Tsun there are also many humbugs.
    I learn Ving Tsun because I think it suits me very much. Although it has been a long time I still think my choice is correct. I think it is also true to many people.
    Ving Tsun puts special emphasis on ceremony. It also consists of ideals, academic theories, the concept of relativity and also the measurement of time and space. It dismisses the idea of “master strokes”. It analyses the possibility and probability of every stroke at a certain period of time and space objectively. It can also be applied to things fitly. I think everybody who knows Ving Tsun will feel the same way as I do. Before embarking on every task we need only to discover the core and motive of the question and then analyse it. This is what Ving Tsun has.
    From what’s been mentioned above many people may show disapprovals. Since Ving Tsun is so perfect it must be indomitable but do you admit that it has also encountered failures? Well, we can say that Ving Tsun embodies a very high degree of scientific analysis. We can treat it as a skill in fact. Science emphasizes the importance of accuracy and genuineness. Therefore it will be ok to apply it on the analysis of things. I have to admit that I, as well as my students, have met sad failures.
    Pugilism emphasizes both theories and practices. My students failed because they lacked the sufficient practices which theories could not offset them. It was as if they were amateurs versed against professionals. For instance in a swimming gala you proceed at two feet every ten pounds of strength whist your opponent at one foot every ten pounds of strength. Of course you seem to be the winner by comparison. However he has forty pounds of strength and you only ten. Therefore it is you who is the loser.
    I would not conceal the fact that I had been defeated once more than twenty years ago. I had become very proud and vain after participating in many “Beimo”. I stayed out late with Ng Sam Ming Sifu (famous Hop Ka instructor) and I had only two hours of rest before the tournament. More-so I was very young and ignorant. Besides pugilism I had very little knowledge of other sports. I also did not know the importance of warming up exercises. I was hit with a kick carelessly during the fight. Suddenly my abdomen was seized with cramp and I could not proceed. I learned a big lesson after this competition. Although I was sorry to my Teacher, i changed my attitude to teaching and practicing pugilism. There is a proverb saying “all saints err” but I did not forgive myself. I blamed myself for preparing well for it. Not only did I tarnish the faction but I also let my Teacher down. As a matter of fact failure does not mean anything but I will regret for life that I did not do my best. I hope the young ones will not do the same as I did.
    A superior of Ving Tsun once said that if we could master 30% of Ving Tsun skill then we would be sure to win. He might mean well by saying so. At least it can make those people who learn Ving Tsun more confident. I think it could be as bad as a tumour! It will cheat all those superficial ones. Unless he sets a very high standard he will make all the learners very proud of themselves and not seek progress. It is a pity that many people will believe his words. Friends please wake up your sense and look at the real world! Martial Arts is not heritage! You reap what you have sown only! By the way I have just said that Ving Tsun is very profound and a good faction of pugilism but it does not mean that all who learn it will be good pugilists. It is likeable to a good motor car. It is a waste of time if it is driven by an average motorist and vice versa.
    It is a modern world nowadays with many irresponsible and nasty Ving Tsun instructors that bewitch other people with the magic of pugilism. Ving Tsun is not really famous all over the world if it’s aims are backed up by practical theoretical rudiments. One day it will be vanished! I hope all instructors will pay more attention to this point.
    Theoretically Ving Tsun is very easily learned. Some people think that it lacks beauty of display and will lessen the interests of the learners towards it. I think that the opinions are too biased. As a matter of fact its only the people that learn Ving Tsun for a short time that they will find it very interesting and attractive. Its theories and practicability are worthy of our incessant research into it.

inspiring....train harder !

very nice to read. I think I will print it off for my students.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk
    www.nemartialartsupply.com

Wise words from a wise man.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

A superior of Ving Tsun once said that if we could master 30% of Ving Tsun skill then we would be sure to win. He might mean well by saying so. At least it can make those people who learn Ving Tsun more confident. I think it could be as bad as a tumour! It will cheat all those superficial ones. Unless he sets a very high standard he will make all the learners very proud of themselves and not seek progress. It is a pity that many people will believe his words. Friends please wake up your sense and look at the real world! Martial Arts is not heritage! You reap what you have sown only! By the way I have just said that Ving Tsun is very profound and a good faction of pugilism but it does not mean that all who learn it will be good pugilists. It is likeable to a good motor car. It is a waste of time if it is driven by an average motorist and vice versa.
    One of the best tings ive read from a WC senior

It is a modern world nowadays with many irresponsible and nasty Ving Tsun instructors that bewitch other people with the magic of pugilism. Ving Tsun is not really famous all over the world if it’s aims are backed up by practical theoretical rudiments. One day it will be vanished! I hope all instructors will pay more attention to this point.
    Another pearl