Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotokan Karate

CD Lee Guest

Shotokan Karate

I watched my first Shotokan Karate matches last night on TV ever. I was absolutely appalled at the lack of skill displayed by these guys as reguards throwing and taking punches.

I mean, you have got to be kidding right??? Has anyone seen these guys? They were constantly off balance all the time while trying to deliver strikes and defend themselves. I could not believe what I was seeing, as these guys KNOW they are going to go at it in the RING.

It was just pathetic really. The kicks were *ok*, but they even could not defend against kicks well either. This was the world championship, whatever that means? They acted like if they took one shot, they would collapse and die on the spot!

When they finally put boxing gloves on, it was acutally better, but still pretty sad. These guys were totally scared to COMMIT their weight and stance enought to deliver anyting with power. Plus, the whole off balance thing was too much.

Hope I am not stepping on too many toes here

Johnny Hot Shot Guest
    Not even going to touch this one with a 10 ft pole.

Take a Shotokan Class.

"Life's a great Adventure, Mate"
    Jacko Jackson

Sharky Guest
    Moron

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Budokan Guest
    Troll. --And much too blatant about your trolling. What an amateur. :rolleyes:

K. Mark Hoover

CD Lee Guest

Take it easy...maybe I am just in shock

Sorry guys...

Morons, if I was a troll WTF am I doing on a Kung Fu board saying something bad about Karate?!? Let me clarify:

The guys I saw sucked at balance and delivery. They were not performing Karate very well. I have seen this in boxing, kickboxing and the UFC too.

I just thought the gentlement doing the fighting were ill prepared or scared or something.

A troll? Ok, you got me. BJJ RULES DUDE. That why I take Kung Fu.

JWT, sorry man, I have no idea why you wouldn't touch that one with a ten foot pole. You've got the wrong idea. Educate me in my email. It is in my profile

CD Lee Guest

Budokan

You are witch hunting man. Go read all of my posts. Your right, I would make a bad troll.

Johnny Hot Shot Guest

Umm

I'm Johnny Hot shot. Not JWT, Totally different dude.. I'm better looking :D

Seriously Though you should do some research and check out your local Shotokan Dojo before you slag their style.

Jacko Jackson

Budokan Guest
    Frankly, I've got better things to do than research your past posts. Thanks for the offer anyway, but I'll decline. :rolleyes:

And whether you like it or not you came across as a troll in the first post of this thread. It's to your credit you realized that and have now backed off that position and clarified what it was you were actually talking about.

K. Mark Hoover

Taomonkey Guest
    CD Lee
    If it was on ESPN last night it was not Shotokan but the SHIDOKAN a MMA group who's fights consist of 3 rounds of "bare knuckle" 3 rounds of Kickboxing, and the remaining rounds in grappling/submission.
    Have never seen Shotokan, but I have to agree with you about these Shidokan dudes,, they suck arse, boring boring boring, full of crappy martial arts!!!!!!

No trolling here, just the truth!

Budokan Guest
    Well, that explains it. He got the two names mixed up. An excusable error; I'll get off my high horse now--although it's a LOOOONNGG way down.

I missed the match on ESPN because I was watching the World Series. Still, I would have liked to seen it, and I figure that these two guys, from what I've heard, are not very good representatives of their respective art.

K. Mark Hoover

Johnny Hot Shot Guest

Ahh

Still resarch before you slag any style.

Jacko Jackson

fa_jing Guest

Shidokan

I saw the Shidokan special on TV. I thought it was very entertaining, in that it was something I had never seen before, and there were a lot of knockouts. But, I agree that the lack of skill was startling. Looked alot like the kickboxing everyone's putting down on the "why do some kung fu guys fight like kickboxers" thread. A lot of guys that seemed afraid to engage. Of course, I don't know if I would do any better. Even though the quality of the fighters needs to improve, it's a big step up from the converted boxers throwing 3 kicks a round in the kickboxing matches I used to see on TV 10 years ago. Did you hang around to see the end? The highlight reel of knockouts was pretty good at the end. -FJ

CD Lee Guest

Taomonkey, you are my savior

Thanks Tao, one lousy letter, and the wrath of Heaven falls on me :D :D Ok, I sounded like a troll, but I was just excited.

Yes, that is the show I saw. And I stand by what I said about the delivery. I am not slagging their style, but their application delivery. I watched 3 matches, and they were all terribly sloppy. Once they moved into punching range, they were not set to throw, but leaning all over the place, punch moving to the right, body leaning to the left. Just bad technique basics. Oh, and they were falling down constantly when the other guy had not even landed anything! Ridiculous.

I was just p1ssed that these guys showed up to fight like that.

CD Lee Guest

Faijing

Yes, I watched those highlights, and they were entertaining, but did you really look at them closely? Those KO's were what you get when you get an unprepared overweight chump like me in the ring with guys who are conditioned to fight. Those kind of KO's should be the exception.

Plus, most of those guys totally folded when they took one solid shot ANYWHERE. That one guy was knocked out with the second thight kick he recieved? I know it hurts, but two kicks to the leg and he is munching canvass for dinner. Those guys were just not prepared to take shots period

Taomonkey Guest
    J Hot Shot
    I think the comments on the style are fair.
    Those guys suck. No fundamentals, no foundation, no balance..just sad.
    Just another ESPN time filler showcasing the same kind of paul mitchel forms crap. :(