Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: KUNG FU TAI CHI 20 YEARS: June 9-10, 2012

From Benny Meng's facebook blog

Kung Fu Tai Chi 20 years Anniversary and HKB Wing Chun trip to SF, SJ and LA trip 6/8/12 to 6/18/12
    by Benny Meng on Tuesday, June 26, 2012 at 12:04pm ·

Sifu Aaron drop us off at the airport in late Friday afternoon on June 8th.We did not get to the hotel until 2:00 AM. Saturday morning I and Vincent got up early for the competition registration. The tournament committee members were professional and very helpful. The is one of the largest tournaments in the West Coast. It consists of two major systems; Karate and Kung Fu. I highly recommend this championship. Representing HKB Meng's of Dayton and Houston were Vincent Meng, Julian Habib, and Andrew Nurre. Grand Master Lin, myself, Master Ryan, Master Ahmed and Sifu Duran were there as coaches.This was Vincent's second time competing in a Wing Chun division, and a first for Andrew. Vincent ended up 2nd in Forms, Andrew placed 1st in Wing Chun Forms and 3rd in Youth Kung Fu Open Forms.

After the competition, the Kung Fu Tai Chi 20 years Anniversary celebration started with VIP photo shoots, a GALA Banquet, an awards banquet and dinner, and Master's Demonstrations. I was also pulled aside for an interview on my perspective on Kung Fu for the last 20 years. Grand Master Lin, my family and I were at the same table as famous fighter and actor Cung Le. He's currently focusing everything on his upcoming fight in Vegas in July. At the same time, he's working on 2-3 movies. Due to his training schedule, he actually had to leave the dinner early. We'll all be rooting for him in July. It was a great time to meet new friends, as well as catch up on old friends. I believe this was the largest gathering of Kung Fu Legends in one place, at one time. I salute TC Media for organizing such an amazing event in celebration of their 20th anniversary. The tournament and banquet were first class! The crews at TC media ran out of their way to make sure everyone gets a first-class treatment. As a cover issue martial artist, they really took care of me and my family, giving me the VIP treatment! We finished the night with an after-banquet party. It was an honor for me to perform side-by-side with Grand Master Lin, in front of such an honorable and knowledgeable audience. I believe Grand Master Lin and the rest of our team had a great time. It was a wonderful opportunity for photos and making new friends among the elite who's-who of the martial arts community.

Sunday was Kung Fu Tai Chi Day, hosted at the Cesar Chavez Park, adjacent to the San Jose Convention Center. The morning's activities included a Lion Dance and Master's Demonstrations featuring many excellent martial artists. I was honored to be selected as one of the Grand Master's to go through the ceremony to awaken the Lion, called the Eye Dotting Ceremony. We paint the Lion as a way to bring the Lion's energy to life. We had an opportunity to interact with members of the Wing Chun Community, and went through a mini-workshop right on the spot... including an impromptu demonstration of Wing Chun's Evolution, with a demonstration of Ip Man Wing Chun then moved backwards in time to older systems, from Fatshan to Secret Society to Shaolin Wing Chun (which is known as Hek Ki Boen Eng Chun today). The performers of the demonstration included Master Ryan, Master Ahmed, Instructor Duran, and me. We also demonstrated four special unique skills of Wing Chun. After Sunday's demonstration and workshop, we headed out to the Golden Gate Park to practice HKB on the beach, rehearsing for the DVD to be recorded the next day. We took many photos on the beach, and there were UFO in most of the photos. People always say that HKB Black Flag Eng Chun is out of this world. I think the UFO were checking us out. Making sure that this art is not watered down after more than 300 years.

When we arrived early Monday morning at TC media, Gigi and her crew were ready for us. The plan was to make three DVDs. The first one was on the HKB system, covering the basic fundamentals: stances, footwork and hand methods. This first HKB DVD key pairs you for the second DVD. The participants of this DVD were Master Ryan from Houston, Master Ahmed from Chicago and Junior Instructor Vincent Meng from Dayton Ohio. Overall I was the main person on this first DVD, acting as host and MC. The second DVD featured Grand Master Lin as host and MC, and was primarily on the topic of the Shaolin HKB 18 Lohan Hands. The Shaolin HKB 18 Lohan Hands was the genesis to the Eng Chun system. It started as Saan Sik, separate and loose movements for fighting. This material should not be confused with the 18 Lohan Fist system of the Northern Shaolin Temple. This second DVD was quite historical - it was the first public video on this topic. Grand Master Lin covered solo, partner, and application training for the Shaolin HKB 18 Lohan Hands. The third DVD was the first of the Baat Jaam Dao in the VTM Ip Man Wing Chun Instructional Series. This first DVD covered Sections 1-4 of the double knives, which are the sections dealing with countering with long weapons. My partner for this DVD was Master Brad Ryan. This DVDs contains many 1st in the Ip Man lineage, with never-before available information including unique training methods and strategy and tactics of the knife. Overall, it was a very successful day - but don't kid yourself: filming is a difficult business. However, we did receive a compliment - we were the most efficient to work with. Normally it takes 2-3 days to shoot one DVD, but we shot 3 DVDs in one afternoon.

After everything was completed on Monday, we had the opportunity to have discussions with the TC Media team, including the always interested Gene Ching. With their excellent service, genuine interest, and top level professionalism we discussed many topics to continue to grow our long-term relationships. Gene also had a chance to look at the latest article and it will be coming out soon. I'll keep the topic to myself for now, but I promise that it will be very informative. After a great weekend with TC Media, we ended with a celebration dinner in a special, Muslim Chinese restaurant.

Everything up to this point was great. I want to again acknowledge and thank all the professionals at TC Media - Gigi and her crew were fantastic hosts. I also want to acknowledge and thank my students and instructors, without their support trips like this wouldn't be possible. And I would like to thank Grand Master Lin for his tireless effort in promoting and teaching Shaolin HKB; as the successor of the system, he took every opportunity on the trip to teach us and improve our skills. Finally, my undying thanks goes to my Wife, Sunmi P. Meng - this trip was made all the more special by sharing it with you and our sons. Thank you to everyone who came on this trip: Grand Master Lin, Sunmi, Vincent, Spencer, Derickson, Master Brad Ryan, Master Sajid Ahmed, Instructor Daniel Duran, Julian Habib, and Andrew Nurre.

After the exciting weekend in San Jose, Grand Master Lin, Master Sajid Ahmed and my family we all drove down to Los Angeles. We visited many martial arts school. Vincent had the opportunity to train with Master Jimmy Kim. He is a formal gold medalists heavyweight in the Tae Kwon Do 1988 Olympic game. The most important thing is that we discovered that there were many interests on HKB Black Flag Eng Chun in the West Coast. We will definitely address that the in the near future. From Disneyland, to the beach, to good eating was on the agenda. Of course training with Grand Master Lin everyday!
    "always interested'... hehe, sure, that's me all right.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Here is some interesting info on HKB, do not be deceived.

Official statement from Sifu Tio Tek Kwie about his former student Lin xiang fuk ( Kenneth Lin )
    http://www.facebook.com/notes/sifu-s...50369842309124
    Im Very dissapointed that my lessons about being a good and rightgeous person did not succeed by my student , I have to apologize to the Wing Chun community for having supported his Lie about Black Flag Wing Chun my reasons for doing so wer...e none other then to help him set his business up in the US as he convinced me that Wing Chun would be the way to go marketing wise,i did not realise the consequence of this decision.

Again my sincere apologies for making this mistake,and i hope that my ex student can do the same,by disclosing the truth and giving his apologies to the Wing Chun world. in the past i have on several occasions followed his instructions to talk about my Teachers art as Wing Chun but i want to make it very clear that my teacher told me personally that the art is called 18 Lohan Hand.

Shaolin Temple Cultural Center of America PRESS

I don't know about this "Wang Yin" chick but WE got 3 Chinese newspaper articles AND a Chinese online newscast about Shaolin Temple Cultural Center of America (Temple City & West Covina, CA) Oh , wait, I forgot we also got news media release on the Shaolin Temple China website as well.

So who is upstaging whom? We didn't embellish diddly squat either. All truth and nuthin' but the truth! Shaolin rocks as always!!

Our branches are lead by head coach Shi Yan Xu, he was the former assistant of the Abbot and was head coach for the warrior monks. Our shifus are : Shi Yan Yue , Shi Yan Ji and Shi Yan Yi. Bravo to all our shifus for being excellent and demanding. Congratulations to all our students !

For English translation for the Shaolin Temple China website, please visit :

http://www.shaolin.org.cn/templates/...contentid=7132
    Last edited by ShaolinDiva; 06-30-2012 at 09:41 PM.

More coverage

This is from our local paper.
    Ohlone College Tai Chi Qigong Team wins gold and silver awards
    Submitted By Elenita Nicholas

Ohlone College students brought home three gold and two silver medals from the 4th Annual Tiger Claw KungFuMagazine.com Championship last weekend. Under the coaching of world-class martial arts competition medalist and Ohlone instructor Sifu May Chen, students excelled in all levels in the individual competition for Yang Style Tai Chi receiving two gold medals and two silver medals. Lucy Olivia won beginning level gold, Alissa Ballestrin earned intermediate level gold, Nadia Nasiri won advanced level silver, and Brian Cochran won silver in beginning level.

The Ohlone Competition Team secured a first place gold award for their intermediate level Five Animal Forms. The eleven participating students included: Alissa Ballestrin, Chloe Blancas, Jan Michael Cruz, Kelvin Ho, Lucy Oliva, Kyle Perez, Nadia Nasiri, Kevin Rabatan, Kamuela Tolentino, Gerard Truong, and Thang Vo. Animal Forms is the oldest of the Qigong routines, over 3,500 years old. The animal forms in this routine are Tiger, Deer, Bear, Monkey, and Crane. The Ohlone competition team demonstrated understanding of internal, external, and spiritual focus inherent in each form.

The Ohlone team shared their gold medal routine with the public at Kung Fu Tai Chi Day, a free event at the Plaza de Cesar Chavez in downtown San Jose on June 10.

Sifu May Chen commented that the team has "incredible dedication, patience, and compassion," adding it is essential that the students cultivate personal fitness goals alongside connecting with the community at large. Chen is a world-class martial arts competition medalist and a popular teacher at the Ohlone College Total Health and Wellness Center in Newark where she teaches classes through both Community Education Ohlone for Healthy Living and the for-credit academic program.

For more information on the Ohlone College Total Health and Wellness Center visit www.ohlone.edu/go/wellness or contact Robin Kurotori at (510) 742-2350.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More Monica

Monica Wang: a movie star and Tai Chi beauty
    Tai Chi
    July 7, 2012
    By: Violet Li

Born in An Hui, China, Monica Wang (aka Wang Yin) has always been outstanding among her peers. At 5’7”, she is tall compared to the average Chinese woman’s 5’. At age 5, Monica was chosen to perform on stage. She was selected to study at An Hui Huang Mei Opera Academy and became a famous Huang Mei Opera star because of her natural beauty and stunning voice.

At age 17, Monica was admitted to the most prestigious and selective Central Academy of Drama in Beijing, where internationally renowned movie stars Gong Li (Red Sorghum, Farewell My Concubine, Curse of the Golden Flower, and Miami Vice with Jamie Foxx and Colin Farrell) and Zhang Ziyi (The Road Home, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Rush Hour 2, and House of Flying Daggers) and many others were educated.

Besides acting, Wang Yin also took voice and dance lessons. During a movie shooting, Wang had a taste of Chinese Kung Fu and was fascinated by it. Later, she got to know famous coach Wu Bin, who was the Hollywood superstar Jet Li’s teacher. Coach Wu agreed to train her and she considers herself very fortunate. She studies Long Fist and weapons for a few years. She also studies Li Family Style Tai Chi from Wu.

Last year, Monica won gold medals in Long Fist and Sword in Hong Kong International Wushu Opens. Recently, she participated in the 4th Tiger Claw Kung Fu Champions in San Jose, California and won a gold medal for a Tai Chi form.

She was voted as Miss An Hui. She also outperformed 49 other talented beauties in the 2011 National Miss Hospitality Pageant sponsored by the Tourist Association with her look, talents and knowledge on environmental protection. The judges praised her for her gorgeous look with a traditional Chinese virtue.

Wang also won the 3rd place in a talent show sponsored by the Central TV Station similar to America’s Got Talent last year.

She co-hosted the Kung Fu Magazine 20th Anniversary Kung Fu Tai Chi Gala Banquet with Coach Chris Pei in San Jose, California. She charmed the audience with her gentle persona and magnificent looks. She also appeared on the Kung Fu Tai Chi Day to demonstrate her Tai Chi Fan (see the video on the left hand side).

Monica has not played a major role in a movie yet. But with her talent, amicable personality and great martial art skills, she might soon be the next Jet Li.
    Now I should confess that I only did one VIP interview for our upcoming issue, which spotlights KFTC 20 YEARS, and yes, that interview was with Monica.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Suscribe now for our Sep Oct 2012 issue

Our Sep Oct issue has full coverage of KFTC 20 YEARS. Subscribe by this Friday, July 20th, to get yours delivered directly to you. It will be available on the newsstands on August 7th.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Newsstand Aug. 7 eh?
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

indeed

if you can still find a newsstand large enough to carry us ....
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Chapters Indigo my friend.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

That's spectacular SimonM!

Note that the drop date is a soft date, meaning that it's only when our distributor has committed to delivering the magazines to the outlet. Sometimes it's a little earlier. Other times, the outlet doesn't start displaying them until they get around to it.

Thanks for supporting us on the newsstands!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

y'all are still on the shelves at the BAM in Port Richey, Fl.!

That's great to hear too, Featherstone

What with JAMA's recent folding, newsstands big enough to carry us are few and far in between. Honestly, it's been years since I saw JAMA on the newsstands. I still see us in select outlets, but then, I'm always looking for us.

Thanks for your support everyone, whether it be by subscribing or by newsstands.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

As long as you are on new stands I will buy each issue from newsstands.

If you go to subscription only I guess I'll get a subscription.

If you go digital only PLEASE have Android support and not just iOS.

Simon McNeil

I appreciate that, Simon

Like I said on our KFTC for iPad thread, keeping up with all the different tablet/smart phone platforms is a challenge. There are so many platforms and it's an investment for each one, with no guarantee of payout.

That being said, I've got our covers slated for another year, so we're still in the game for now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Well that's good anyway.
    Simon McNeil