Thread: Oxygen and how it works in the body.

Oxygen and how it works in the body.

Quote Originally Posted by faxiapreta View Post
    Really? Please show some evidence for the oxygen in the blood stream somehow being selected out of the blood stream and being able to be consciously manipulated by a person to achieve some type of enhanced physical response.
    It is possible with biofeedback to consciously change blood gas levels. To measure this you'd need an infa-red mass spectrometer (a clinical capnograph if it were c02 and a clinical oxometer if its oxygen). The biofeedback element counts as 'conscious' regulation. As for the utilisation of altered blood gases this should be easy enough to demonstrate if not to precisely quantify. They are taken as an index for a whole range of medical states and conditions. Okinawan Karate's Sanchin kata and Hung Gar's Iron Wire set both alter blood gas regulation, and the partial pressure of end tidal c02 (petC02) which is essentially indistinguishable from the arterial value, is itself a vital regulator of many systems in the body. C02 is not just a waste gas. Capnography is very accessible these days to researchers with a laptop and appropriate software.

Indra.

Quote Originally Posted by Indrafist View Post
    It is possible with biofeedback to consciously change blood gas levels. To measure this you'd need an infa-red mass spectrometer (a clinical capnograph if it were c02 and a clinical oxometer if its oxygen). The biofeedback element counts as 'conscious' regulation. As for the utilisation of altered blood gases this should be easy enough to demonstrate if not to precisely quantify. They are taken as an index for a whole range of medical states and conditions. Okinawan Karate's Sanchin kata and Hung Gar's Iron Wire set both alter blood gas regulation, and the partial pressure of end tidal c02 (petC02) which is essentially indistinguishable from the arterial value, is itself a vital regulator of many systems in the body. C02 is not just a waste gas. Capnography is very accessible these days to researchers with a laptop and appropriate software.

Indra.
    As I posted on that thread before it was closed and the post deleted.
    Yoga is another example.
    Through breath control and manipulation, blood and air are controlled in the body.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Thread re-opened - title changed
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 08-05-2011 at 10:30 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

cardio

cardiopulmonary heart/lung to be exact.

it comes from diligent training daily

mountain people has an edge, since they are used to thin air/atmosphere

their rbc or hemoglobin to be exact

carry more oxygen, or just more of rbc produced and with a bigger size?

--

carry on.

how to improve your cardio or oxygen and endurance with MA or non MA practice

that is

--

Can doing any of that stuff make the body "as hard as steel" without using physical conditioning or body mechanics?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Can doing any of that stuff make the body "as hard as steel" without using physical conditioning or body mechanics?
    Of course not.

Literally no. Figuratively yes. Yes in the sense that hyperventilation defined as breathing in excess of the body's physiological needs, causes respiratory alkalosis (loss of carbonic acid - i.e. carbon dioxide in solution in the bodies fluid mediums) through blowing-off carbon dioxide by the increased respiratory drive. The first place to be affected is the brain, and then the peripheral nervous system, inducing heightened analgesia. Skeletal muscular tension increases (in some clinical cases it induces tetany). The effects on the brain include trance induction, dissociation and increased auto-suggestability. Stage performers who show remarkable increases in pain tollerance do not have an 'iron body' or (culturalised) training that claims it, but they do know how to dissociate and how to utilise breathing regimens. However, taken by surprise they feel pain like anyone else. Some martial arts entrainments are state-dependent, memory, learning and behavior (SDMLB) regimens and the benefits of being 'in-state' likewise do not carry over 'out' of state. In ritualized 'testing' striking out of the expected areas (conditioned by ritual and expectation as much as by striking) can seriously disrupt the practitioner.

Indra.

I visited oxygen bar in vegas every time.

they have different scent and colors.

we know oxygen is odorless and colorless.

breathing more % oxygen then room air

it is all exhiliarting

but 100% pure oxygen actually is toxic.

me rather talk about O2

then CO2.

that is.

--

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    I visited oxygen bar in vegas every time.

they have different scent and colors.

we know oxygen is odorless and colorless.

breathing more % oxygen then room air

it is all exhiliarting

but 100% pure oxygen actually is toxic.

me rather talk about O2

then CO2.

that is.

--
    Both 02 and C02 are vital to the economy of the living body. Both are odorless and colorless. Oxygen's importance is obvious. Without it you die very quickly. With C02 dis-regulation you can develop a whole range of clinical conditions and die slower than in the case of 02 dis-regulation. A key role of respiratory drive is the acid-base (pH) balance of the body. Excess acid is lost through increased respiratory rate and depth (C02 in expired air). C02 is a whole-body state-encoder: as the acid-base balance of the body permeates every cell and extra-cellular fluid medium - not just blood, but also CSF and intra-extra-cellular fluids. A change in pH effects every system in the body and can cause sensitization to learned states, such as fear (or fearlessness) - hence 'psyching-up' by overbreathing in preparation for a fight, or hyperventilating in a panic attack. It was recognised as a component in the induction of acute psychotic states back in 1968 in a seminal paper by Allen and Agus in the US. People who overbreathe to excess (as happens in Sanchin Kata) can become sensitized to withstanding arterial C02 levels that would induce cardiac arrythmia or coronary artery spasm in untrained subjects. This is sustainable so long as the overall health of the practitioner is good, but coupled with disease processes that may develop independently over time, it could induce a fatal self-induced state.
    Hypocapnia, the term describing clinical levels of reduced arterial C02, causes smooth muscle spasm (such as in the smooth muscular tubing of the body - e.g. arteries). There are further effects that increase blood pressure. Pain perception is dulled and a 'high' may follow which is trance state. Whatever beliefs are employed to explain the trance , and analgesic effects, will be reinforced by the hypocapnic effects on the brain.

Indra.

the reason I do not like to talk about CO2

b/c david carridine died of too much CO2

talking about safe choke to enhance sex

--

for me more O2 is good.

Nope, it's not an either/or thing, as much as some people want to make it that.
    Proper breathing along with the correct conditoning AND BM is what makes for "iron body work".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !