Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black Taoist Update

I think you're right.
    I think I don't view that as training that can be sustained and therefore it's not going to be something that I will be doing much of.

You have to recycle your training partners! When you meet and fight the enemy for real, THEN you can slam him into the curb if need be.

Otherwise, it's training. Footwork would be understood through this though, I will give it that for sure as well.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    the percentages are reduced on those compared to cement wouldn't you say?
    oh of course. i just happen to like training on cement. part of this is because some of my students don't want to fight in the ring, but prefer to fight in the streets if they have to. Training for that environment is just as important as training on matts IMHO. However I am training my guys now to fight in some local Muay Thai matches out here in the SF area.

Otherwise, it's training. Footwork would be understood through this though, I will give it that for sure as well.
    Street fighters are extremely aware of being body slammed to the cement which can end it right there. so they work their footwork, center of gravity, and even know how to sprawl and escapes from clinches just from experience and fear from fighting without ever being trained.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 08-05-2011 at 10:52 AM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    why not on concrete? people don't fight on concrete? i know usually its for the ring, but people fight and go to the ground in the streets all the time. why not train on the surface you may have to get down on?
    Because training in methods that let you go longer and full force without getting injured is superior to training in methods in which you can't go long at full force before getting injured. Training on concrete does not allow for extended periods of full contact training without injuries.

Blog Entries
    Because training in methods that let you go longer and full force without getting injured is superior to training in methods in which you can't go long at full force before getting injured. Training on concrete does not allow for extended periods of full contact training without injuries.
    i do agree with that. but there is experience to be gained from training on the cement as well.

i do agree with that. but there is experience to be gained from training on the cement as well.
    This is true, which is why it would be a good idea to train in this environment occasionally.

I will have to disagree that there is experience to be gained by training on cement. IMO it is counterproductive. Everyone knows that cement is harder than matts, so they can make the correlation that if you get tossed on cement, your ass is getting broke. If you're constantly training on cement, you are not going to throw properly as if you would on the mat. Any environment that does not allow you to properly execute your technique to it's fullest, would provide you with the most benefit from that technique.

Blog Entries
    I will have to disagree that there is experience to be gained by training on cement. IMO it is counterproductive. Everyone knows that cement is harder than matts, so they can make the correlation that if you get tossed on cement, your ass is getting broke. If you're constantly training on cement, you are not going to throw properly as if you would on the mat. Any environment that does not allow you to properly execute your technique to it's fullest, would provide you with the most benefit from that technique.
    Counter productive to what? ring fighting?

I have to disagree with you on all this. But if all you're talking about is throws, ok. the cement isn't the best surface to train throws. take down, sweeps, stand up, and ground fighting is what i'm talking about here. Also, IMHO training against throws on the cement is where you benefit because you don't want to be thrown and what's the wrong surface to be down onto? the cement. so if you train how NOT to be thrown on this surface you'll find A benefit.

for example, someone says "hey, you're good at stopping throws, who'd you get so good?" and the other guy responds "by training on the cement. i was doing my best NOT to get thrown onto it".....
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 08-05-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Shows a lack of understanding, still, of the ground. Not pulling guard to finish the guillotine,especially an arm-in guillotine, and then the guy on top not using a Von Flue choke when the guy on bottom wouldn't let go, show how basic their ground fighting is.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Von Flue Choke?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    sanjuro, i thought you left this forum? LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Von Flue Choke?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPQmH9mFSU0
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Von Flue Choke?
    I would never have thought that after watching season 2 of TUF that Jason Von Flue would have a choke named after him.

You get good at anything by doing it a lot. And doing it the same way, the right way, over and over and over again.

When you know how to throw and, more importantly, how to take a throw, then you could train on cement but why would you? You can walk around on concrete barefoot all day everyday, but we use shoes with comfortable soles. It makes the experience more enjoyable and thus easier to replicate/continue/look forward to.

(note: I prefer no shoes and hate throwing class because our mats suck and I don't fall right enough)

Same goes for headgear and gloves. Without those, 9 out of 10 times most people are holding their punching. Even with gloves and headgear you're usually not swinging for the fence. You're swinging to land but focusing more on smooth and loose. Better to allow landing with gear than holding back without.

Counter productive to what? ring fighting?

I have to disagree with you on all this. But if all you're talking about is throws, ok. the cement isn't the best surface to train throws. take down, sweeps, stand up, and ground fighting is what i'm talking about here. Also, IMHO training against throws on the cement is where you benefit because you don't want to be thrown and what's the wrong surface to be down onto? the cement. so if you train how NOT to be thrown on this surface you'll find A benefit.

for example, someone says "hey, you're good at stopping throws, who'd you get so good?" and the other guy responds "by training on the cement. i was doing my best NOT to get thrown onto it".....
    I can see where you're coming from, but i remember when we trained on mats, we didn't just give into the sweep, throw, etc...we would certainly try our best not to be takin down.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Seriously?
    They named "yoko gyakyu hajime" after him ??
    Well, BJJ payers do love to do that so I guess it's ok...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !