Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new radical approach to this forum

new radical approach to this forum

I am going to make some rather radical suggestions on how to proceed with this forum

They are going to be based upon, gasp, COMMON SENSE

1. Disagree all you want, but do so with logical lines of critical thought and provide at lease some example or evidence of your point

2. If your posts amount to "I know secrets you don't", or personal insults, or rumor, BS, Chinatown gossip, etc etc then your post should be deleted and if you continue you should be banned

3. Moderators should NOT put snide remarks in threads and shouldn't threaten members for pointing out they are not living up to their responsibilities

4. Asking someone for evidence of a bizzare claim or evidence to back up a questionable claim is NOT "trolling"

5. Asking someone for evidence of things they aren't talking about or claiming IS trolling

6. If something questionable is posted, and it is posted by someone who refuses to identify themselves in any way, and if "it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's a duck" applies, well THAT is a troll

Please don't delete or lock this thread
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I am going to make some rather radical suggestions on how to proceed with this forum

1. Disagree all you want, but do so with logical lines of critical thought and provide at lease some example or evidence of your point

2. If your posts amount to "I know secrets you don't", or personal insults, or rumor, BS, Chinatown gossip, etc etc then your post should be deleted and if you continue you should be banned

3. Moderators should NOT put snide remarks in threads and shouldn't threaten members for pointing out they are not living up to their responsibilities

4. Asking someone for evidence of a bizzare claim or evidence to back up a questionable claim is NOT "trolling"

5. Asking someone for evidence of things they aren't talking about or claiming IS trolling

6. If something questionable is posted, and it is posted by someone who refuses to identify themselves in any way, and if "it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's a duck" applies, well THAT is a troll

Agreed, David.

Hear, Hear!
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Blog Entries
    How about every members will need to post their "home address". This way when someone bad mouths about you, you can always go to his house, knock on his door, and beat him up.

There are quite a few on these forums who have used such "common sense" all along.

It's just that the exceptions are so exceptionable.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    How about every members will need to post their "home address". This way when someone bad mouths about you, you can always go to his house, knock on his door, and beat him up.
    John, I realize this is just humor, but let's try to be serious just once

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Would #2 include such things as ENDLESSLY repeating, "I know REAL kungfu and you don't!" and "I study a secret art I can't tell you about," and "Well, that's what happens when you pretend to know REAL kungfu like me but really don't" when some doofus supposedly representing this or that gets smacked or embarassed or otherwise fails to be deadlydeadly?
    Last edited by Kansuke; 08-06-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    There are quite a few on these forums who have used such "common sense" all along.

It's just that the exceptions are so exceptionable.
    over the years there have been a LOT of great threads, lots of useful info exchanged and lots of positives. There do seem times the place is over run with trolls, or certain members have gone off the deep end, but the potential for positive is still here

Quote Originally Posted by Kansuke View Post
    Would #2 include such things as repeating, "I know REAL kungfu and you don't!" and "I study a secret art I can't tell you about," and "Well, that's what happens when you pretend to know REAL kungfu like me but really don't" when some doofus supposedly representing this or that gets smacked or embarassed or otherwise fails to be deadlydeadly?
    #2 is PRECISELY for those sorts of posts

#2 is PRECISELY for those sorts of posts

Then I am ALL for it.

Blog Entries
    "I know secrets you don't",
    That's the one that I hate the most. Someone always believes that he knows where the water is. He can lead us to the water but he can't force us to drink, as if he is a normal human being and we are all low IQ cows.

The kind of attitude such as, "If you don't believe in Qi, not only you suck, your teacher sucks too." bother me more than anything else.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-06-2011 at 03:02 PM.

I know I sound like a broken record here, BUUUUT....

1) the forum should have a stickied "newbie" thread, that new accounts are limited to posting on until they are vetted by the mod for being trolls or not;

2) newbies should be not allowed to start new threads for a set period of time / number of posts;

3) there should be an FAQ thread stickied that has all the above posted by Dave, as well as any other things that can help people to understand the community before diving in

4) there should be a "forum logistics" thread stickied on which members can comment on moderation, member's behaving like trolls, etc. - put ALL of that stuff in one thread to eliminate the various threads popping up about people leaving, hating the mod, etc.

honestly guys - I believe that this forum was seriously on the brink not too long ago; I think Gene made some good decisions, and frankly DJ made a notable contribution at that time; instead of regressing or going off the other end, let's try to use the momentum and ALL work to make this forum the sort of place people want to hang out at; if you don't like how the forum is being moderated, make constructive criticism; if you see someone is trolling / mouth-boxing, don't get into a poo-flinging fight - point it out to the mods; if you have a beef w another member, take it to PM, or if you needs must address it publicly, do so in a dignified manner;

I still believe this forum can be a great community - and it seems like, in general, people want the same things; and I think of late some significant strides in that direction have been taken...

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    That's the one that I hate the most. Someone always believes that he knows where the water is. He can lead us to the water but he can't force us to drink, as if he is a normal human being and we are all low IQ cows.

The kind of attitude such as, "If you don't believe in Qi, not only you suck, your teacher sucks too." bother me more than anything else.
    yes; I find the argument, "well, the only reason you don't believe in 'qi / internal' is because you haven't experienced it for real - because if you had been exposed to it for real, there's no way you'd have the perspective you have" so infantile and inane that it's just beyond me; it goes along with the sentiment that "so-called western science / thought will never be able to adequately talk about / describe qi / internal practice";

this is all just a load of BS; the problem is that people have some sort of "qi experience" that is outside the range of their previous experience, it blows them away, so they are then sold on it, and buy into whatever they are told by their teacher; they then extrapolate their personal subjective experience onto others, and are unwilling to be fundamentally challenged about their assumptions / experiences...

You duth protesteth too much.

I know quite a few people that have posted here before that could have really used some mod support when people took such liberties then.

DJ, mod away. Don't change a thing. Anybody that yells bloody murder now is guilty and is whining about their lost power.
    Last edited by Lebaufist; 08-06-2011 at 05:23 PM.

You know, it's a safe bet John Wang has seen a lot of Chinese martial art. It's a safe bet we could come up with quite a list of people who have been around and seen tons of stuff. So when one of the basement secret ferret pai federation of wannabe's jumps up and down on one leg, you really have to go "oh please"