Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: when you started wing chun

thanks for ur input sifu Joy thats exactly the type of stuff I was looking for. I had trouble with bong sao at first also coming from a hard style background like taekwondo. I thought I had the stepping right at first in wing chun but I realized I had a lot of work to do. Such as lifting ur feet completely off the ground when you/slide step forward can be a bad thing.

vertical punch with 1-5 joints

Quote Originally Posted by shaolin_allan View Post
    For those of you who had previous martial arts experience, when you started learning wing chun what parts of the system did you find yourself to have the most trouble learning or adapting to? For me coming from other styles such as karate and taekwondo I had a lot of trouble at first with the fighting stance footwork for the advancing steps. Also it was difficult getting used to the punching without turning my hips to generate the power.

I was taught that you punch using 1-5 joints. If you're in bridge hands and you punch with the front hand using wrist only you are practicing or using Bruce Lee's one inch punch. You start with the elbow and then fire the wrist and use those two joints. you can start with the shoulder turn into a side body, fire the elbow then the wrist. Or you can use all 5 joints and start by twisting the ankle, twist the hips, turn your shoulder into a side body, shot the elbow and torque the wrist. Now that punch has traveled 10 feet or so depending on your height and now has a lot of power behind a punch that seems to traveling a short distance.
    Last edited by Shaolin12; 08-12-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shaolin_allan View Post
    Thank you to everyone else who has continued to contribute to the idea of this thread even though Graham and Hardwork have turned it like every other wing chun thread into an arguing match.
    Sorry shaolin_allan, my intention was not to turn this thread into an argument, but in a world where REAL grandmasters still claim to be learning kung fu and even suggest looking into other TCMAs to enhance one's knowledge, I find it hard to swallow when relative amateurs think that they have found their "ultimate fist", because they have practiced a dozen other TMA arts with god knows who, in a world where over 90% of TCMA is Mcdojo material.
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 08-12-2011 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    So why do I need to do that? Once you have driven a great motor car and you are happy with it why go and test drive any more?
    Hey, there is never any harm and potentially a lot to gain to keep yourself updated in new developments as regards motor cars.

So what are we talking about? Hung Gar? Done it! Tai Chi Chuan? Done it! Praying Mantis? Done it! Hop Gar? Done it! Lau gar? Done it! Ip Chun Wing Chun? Done it! Ip Ching Wing Chun? Done it! Sam Kwok Wing Chun? Done it! Leung Ting Wing Tsun? Yuk! Augustine Fong Wing Chun? Done it! Maybe some Japaneze stuff? Wado Ryu? Done it! Ninjitsu? Done it! Kenpo? Done it! Maybe I could go to a decent Boxing club.......oh yeah done that as well!............you want me to carry on??? My horizons don't need expanding my friend??????
    Most of the arts you mention above will take decades to fully understand, that is if you had actually found authentic instruction, which there is around 95% chance that you didn't.

I'll tell you one thing dude....if somebody can fight they can fight.....it makes no difference what style they do.
    Actually it does make a difference what style they do. Take two people "who can fight", put one in a lousy TMA school and put another in top class fighting oriented TMA school (conditioning and all), then make them fight after 5 years of training in their respective schools. Who would you put your money on?

Fighters can make anything work! You don't even need Martial Arts if you like to scrap and I have met some scary people and funnily enough they haven't been to a martial art club in their lives!
    Don't tell me about scary people because I live in Colombia. So my scary people would probably scare the cr@p out of your scary people.

Shame you don't live close to me...you could come around and show me the light! LOL

GH
    Interesting concept, showing you the light, by knocking out your lights!
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 08-13-2011 at 12:36 AM.

I think this thread is finito. We did manage to keep the point going for a while and found some common ground between students new to wing chun which was insightful. I wouldn't say its ending on a good note but we got some value out of it.

i went over to wing chun from boxing/MMA so found everything difficult!
    mainly weight distribution, punch technique and yielding to a greater force for example shifting with a bong sau....

For me the foorwork and stance are the biggest working point for now. I've always been used standing on the ball of my feet.

Never the less I still have a long way to go.