Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: when you started wing chun

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    My reference to the time period needed to complete a style was as regards the set curriculum of techniques, applications, concepts, principles, etc. Not skill development.

I did imply that there is a lot more to learn?

That statement is a FACT!

First of all we cannot necessarily believe your opinion of them being "nonesense". After all, how long did you train them? Were the sifus qualified? Did the stuff they were teaching go against your "scientific" belief system?
    Qualified or not, did they just take you for a ride? Whatever the truth, you do realize that there are at least 7 other lineages of WC in Foshan alone.

There are also other manifestations of Wing Chun in countries such as Malaysia, Singapoor etc. You are not curious at all?

A master is a person who has mastered a discipline to a high level. Read master carpenter, master sculpture, master paint....clear now?

Oh boy, you really have the idea of master all mixed up....LOL!

I am not sure, but your attitude may be the reason that you did not find any kung fu of use in Foshan.

Well, you just proved my 95% and above kung fu schools (including their "masters" being poor to mediocre)....

Why am I not surprised?

There are many normal people who are skilful in varying disciplines, but they do not qualify as MASTERS! I believe you have just confused this master concept.

Then why are you here? You seem to know everything and not interested in other lineages that are different and even richer than yours. So you are not here to learn, are you another one who is here to "teach"?

For whatever it is worth, most people in this forum and their grandmothers believe they know enough.

I do not know much about your lineage, but I did watch a couple of PB videos. I noticed that you guys go back as a matter of habit and/or strategy. That already indicates a HUGE difference between what you practice and what I practice, not to mention the mindset of the Chow Gar that I have also practiced.

So again, you are not interested how other kung fu styles are more in your face and have different strategies? Do you practice Iron skills? Does your system have Chin-na and ground fighting? Internal training?

Most, if not all kung fu styles do the same!

There were certain descriptions I was looking for but I guess you do your straight punch differently.

They are not my "ideas" they are part and parcel of the lineage that I practice. That is, Chin-na, Iron Skills, Chi kung, Ground Fighting, etc.

No surprise there either. Not even the few sifus/masters who know the breathing methodologies, do not teach them openly.....

I asked you an honest and straight question, how long does it take to complete
    the curriculum in your lineage (instructor level)?

That is a good thing, but not only does my sifu discuss other lineages, he also discusses other styles of kung fu, some of which are superior to most WC out there.

It is all about putting aside pride and embrace knowledge from other manifestations of one's chosen style of kung fu and indeed the other TCMAs.

GH
    [/QUOTE]

I like being on a different page to you brother! End of conversation! You dig?

GH

I stated off with TKD at the age of 7 for several years; In middle school a friend of mine started training in Aikijujutsu and then convinced me to join as well, so I ended up doing that for two years. I later trained Muay Thai under a gentlemen who recently immigrated from Thai land at a local gym. He was charging dirt cheap prices and taught a more formal version of Muay Thai with some very simple forms and applications that went along with the training, so I ended up training that for 1 year. I then started to train JKD with a group of guys in NJ/NYC which then lead me to to seek out Wing Chun(This was when I was about 16yo). I originally wanted to learn WC to enhance my JKD however I very quickly realized that WC itself is far superior a system by itself. Since then I've only trained WC. One of the things I would say I had trouble with when I first started was developing root and how to throw a proper "WC punch", also there were alot of terms that were unfamiliar to me (even though there was some overlap from JKD, i.e. lap sao, tan sao, pak sao/parry...etc)
    Last edited by nasmedicine; 08-09-2011 at 03:41 PM.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    I like being on a different page to you brother! End of conversation! You dig?

GH
    "You dig"? LOL!

You know, it is the attitudes like yours that result in most Wing Chuner's not evolving their TCMA knowlegde because they are cocooned into lineages or schools thinking what they do is best.

As a fellow Wing Chun practitioner I will just suggest to you and the likes of you to think outside the box and evolve your knowlege because one thing I can guarantee you is that there is a lot more TCMA knowlege out there then you know about!
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 08-12-2011 at 11:39 PM.

You know, it is the attitudes like yours that result in most Wing Chuner's not evolving their TCMA knowlegde because they are cocooned into lineages or schools thinking what they do is best.

As a fellow Wing Chun practitioner I will just suggest to you and the likes of you to think outside the box and evolve your knowlege because one thing I can guarantee you is that there is a lot more TCMA knowlege out there then you know about!
    I don't like your attitude either!

GH

I don't like your attitude either!

GH
    You should, as I am only suggesting that you expand your horizons as regards the TCMAs, and that is something that I myself try to do always.

You should, as I am only suggesting that you expand your horizons as regards the TCMAs, and that is something that I myself try to do always.
    So why do I need to do that? Once you have driven a great motor car and you are happy with it why go and test drive any more?

So what are we talking about? Hung Gar? Done it! Tai Chi Chuan? Done it! Praying Mantis? Done it! Hop Gar? Done it! Lau gar? Done it! Ip Chun Wing Chun? Done it! Ip Ching Wing Chun? Done it! Sam Kwok Wing Chun? Done it! Leung Ting Wing Tsun? Yuk! Augustine Fong Wing Chun? Done it! Maybe some Japaneze stuff? Wado Ryu? Done it! Ninjitsu? Done it! Kenpo? Done it! Maybe I could go to a decent Boxing club.......oh yeah done that as well!............you want me to carry on??? My horizons don't need expanding my friend??????

I'll tell you one thing dude....if somebody can fight they can fight.....it makes no difference what style they do. Fighters can make anything work! You don't even need Martial Arts if you like to scrap and I have met some scary people and funnily enough they haven't been to a martial art club in their lives!

Shame you don't live close to me...you could come around and show me the light! LOL

GH

I came from Karate first & had an issue with pulling back too much making gaps when doing splitting moves like a tan/gwat chop I would pull back too much opeing myself up for running hand etc.....
    That and fighting as close as they do in WC compared to long bridge systems but I think it helped me with closing the gap from a far so I don't regret my karate training not that I would ever go back to it......

So why do I need to do that? Once you have driven a great motor car and you are happy with it why go and test drive any more?

So what are we talking about? Hung Gar? Done it! Tai Chi Chuan? Done it! Praying Mantis? Done it! Hop Gar? Done it! Lau gar? Done it! Ip Chun Wing Chun? Done it! Ip Ching Wing Chun? Done it! Sam Kwok Wing Chun? Done it! Leung Ting Wing Tsun? Yuk! Augustine Fong Wing Chun? Done it! Maybe some Japaneze stuff? Wado Ryu? Done it! Ninjitsu? Done it! Kenpo? Done it! Maybe I could go to a decent Boxing club.......oh yeah done that as well!............you want me to carry on??? My horizons don't need expanding my friend??????

I'll tell you one thing dude....if somebody can fight they can fight.....it makes no difference what style they do. Fighters can make anything work! You don't even need Martial Arts if you like to scrap and I have met some scary people and funnily enough they haven't been to a martial art club in their lives!

Shame you don't live close to me...you could come around and show me the light! LOL

GH
    When did you do Augustine Fong WC and with whom?

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    When did you do Augustine Fong WC and with whom?
    Does it matter?

GH

Does it matter?

GH
    Yeah because there's plenty of bad practioners within any system....

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    Yeah because there's plenty of bad practioners within any system....
    This is true but whether he was good or bad makes no difference. It was a long time ago and I have moved on. Maybe you are suggesting that had he been good I may have stayed??? I don't think so because I feel that the WSL lineage is head and shoulders above the others but even in my lineage there are charlatans!

GH

Good point, we need to stop thinking that just because you have a certain teacher doesnt mean they got beyond a basic level of understanding vt. You are the only one who can walk ariund and compare...like GH said, WSL lineage also has its own charlatans.

The hardest part I found was the 'in-your-face' nature of the system.

But it's what molded me into a better person overall.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Thank you to everyone else who has continued to contribute to the idea of this thread even though Graham and Hardwork have turned it like every other wing chun thread into an arguing match. It seems like Graham gets his panties tightened when we ask him anything regarding any kung fu he has done unless he mentions it himself first. Fine Graham you've done all the best styles and know what you're talking about. Now go train and stop wasting your time arguing on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by shaolin_allan View Post
    For those of you who had previous martial arts experience, when you started learning wing chun what parts of the system did you find yourself to have the most trouble learning or adapting to? For me coming from other styles such as karate and taekwondo I had a lot of trouble at first with the fighting stance footwork for the advancing steps. Also it was difficult getting used to the punching without turning my hips to generate the power.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FWIW- getting the bong sao right was a problem for me back in 1976. Got corrected, figured it out,
    applied it- and I was ok.
    My advancing steps are likely to be different from yours. Proper distance between the heels
    and the knees working together got me on my way.
    First I learned how to punch from the yee gee kim yeung ma- then chor ma showed me how to turn
    and link all the joints. The hips were links in the chain of power.Not loading up on the shoulder as in boxing was one of the game changers.
    Just commenting on the subject of your thread.

joy chaudhuri
    Last edited by Vajramusti; 08-12-2011 at 01:06 PM.