Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Philipp Bayer video

Thumbs up Philipp Bayer video

Nice movie of Philipp Bayer and his Italian student Enrico Feretti.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acfqv...el_video_title
    A clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease (Sun Tzu, Art of war)

www.wslvt.com
    www.vingtsunkungfu.nl / www.vt4um.eu

cool thanks

Inspiring, as usual!

Very cool!

I love his clips.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Love the pole sparring.

But a question for Kev (and others) ...

When Enrico hits the bag, his head seems very forward and down. Almost hunched over. Yet when he chi saus with Philipp his whole frame is dramatically different. Much more upright and in fact seems to tilt his head backwards. Not surprising given who is in front of him and what is coming towards him. But it seems to affect his balance and forward pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Love the pole sparring.

When Enrico hits the bag, his head seems very forward and down. Almost hunched over. Yet when he chi saus with Philipp his whole frame is dramatically different. Much more upright and in fact seems to tilt his head backwards. Not surprising given who is in front of him and what is coming towards him. But it seems to affect his balance and forward pressure.
    ..its an endurance drill, so he may have been more upright at the beginning , rather than the 20 minute mark Record is held by my si-hing Desmond Spencer 40-45 minutes non stop.
    It is really a drill just to keep elbows in and pummeling for endurance of elbow positions, rather than 'impact'. iow we arent training to hit our way out of a position in a similar fashion to the stomach.
    There are other bag drills he shows for facing and incorporating strikes with hip/elbow unity for impact force.
    Swinging the bag left to right and hitting it on either apex with turning facing strikes. This can also be done from a bong so you train to drop the elbow as you face and hit with the elbow nice and tightly held inwards as you impact...

I do this on thai long bags with front kicks too...I learned many years ago that the bag is your best lesson for making a good punch ... never let me down. My old sifu also showed similar bag work but without the elbow drills as WSL showed PB.

Philipp is very into the 'fighting/fighter ' aspect of VT, endurance, cardio, etc.... he still runs with his dogs for cardio.

Yeah that is some nice calligraphy on the poles. PB showed me all my pole drills, form, relationship of ballistics to bare hands etc...
    Last edited by k gledhill; 08-09-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Love the pole sparring.

Chee you're making the mistake of over anaylizing video footage. The videos that are put up on YouTube are not instructional videos. They are just people working out, drilling, chi sau etc etc.

As Kev has said Enrico is doing and endurance drill. We get the head down and punch away for as long as we can possibly go for. I was up around the 30 min mark but had to stop due to a back strain. I started again the other night and could only manage 8mins! . This drill improves many things including focus, structure and the strength to not quit!

We have many drills that improve many things. We are not "chi sau monsters" and everything is there for a reason. Unfortunately these things can't be explained and taught via video. One has to go and train themselves!

As Kev has also said, Philipp is very strength and cardio orientated. We dont need to cross train. There is enough hard work to do in Ving Tsun.

GH

Nice to know the context. I didn't think I was reading anything into it at all.

I thought the bagwork was "normal" practice whereas you say this is getting towards exhaustion. I just couldn't link up the posture in the drill to the posture in the chi sau.

I just couldn't link up the posture in the drill to the posture in the chi sau.
    You shouldn't be trying to mate!!

GH

I'd disagree there Graham. You practice the same stance/posture in SNT/CK. The straight punch is the same in SNT/CK. All the movements feed into chi sau and back again. So why is the posture in the punching drill not the same as seen in the forms and chi sau?

I can accept that exhaustion is the answer in this case, not that the 'core' training should not carry between each training method.

I'd disagree there Graham. You practice the same stance/posture in SNT/CK. The straight punch is the same in SNT/CK. All the movements feed into chi sau and back again. So why is the posture in the punching drill not the same as seen in the forms and chi sau?

I can accept that exhaustion is the answer in this case, not that the 'core' training should not carry between each training method.
    Come down and i'll explain!!!!!!!!!!!!

GH

One day Graham. I'd look forward to it. But at this point in life, I'm lucky to get my dinner before bedtime!

I love Phil's videos, but the missing hand always freaks me out a bit in the beginning.
    The man is inspirational.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I love Phil's videos, but the missing hand always freaks me out a bit in the beginning.
    The man is inspirational.
    Many times better in the flesh!

GH