Hey guys,

I need a bit of a headcheck to see if I have a point or am simply developing in to a crotchety old kung fu dude.

There's a school in my neighborhood that teaches (IMO) some pretty BS "shaolin" kung fu that is a pretty big joke. Talking to former students the teacher learns a form from a videotape and then teaches that to his students. Barely any combat skill, apparently they do some very light TKD-style sparring.

Recently, they've been advertising around various forums and I've found it necessary to counter their ads that they teach "authentic shaolin kung fu" or "self defense." I think it's morally wrong to teach somebody a bunch of nonsense and claim it has any veracity to actual combat skill.

Additionally to teach "flowery hands" type of kung fu cheapens the reputation of kung fu as a whole - so what they're doing makes what I, and the other reputable teachers in my area do look worse because we get lumped together with them as Kung Fu people.

Am I in the right or wrong to call BS when I see it? Or should I simply let things go as "caveat emptor?"