Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does MMA target WC?

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    And this again is another reason MMA guys will pick on wing chun, this whole your wrong we know you are wrong but…hey we don’t need to post clips to prove you are wrong because whilst we feel the need to talk about it at great length we don’t feel the need to post clips

This is also the reason non wing chun guys read this forum there is so much back stabbing and bit^hing about who has the real chun its fun to read

If you cant discern good VT from Bad then whats the point of posting clips ?

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    My question for long-time practitioners of the art is this:
    I've seen way too many MMA folks on this board as well as on others, youtube, etc. (including that now-famous clip of Rogan's) totally insult and dis the style. BUT you don't hear them calling out Lung Ying, CLF, White Crane, Northern Shaolin, etc. I'm not hinting that they think these styles are better, but I am dumbfounded at this - WHY? I mean are all these people to think "Kung Fu" = Wing Chun [only]?

Was there a WC individual who got into a famous MMA match and lost so they now dis the entire style? Or what is it?

Just curious why they pick on one particular style of TCMA? Why the grudge?
    Well, FWIW I personally think that Wing Chun has become so well known (especially since the new movies on Ip Man) that people in MMA want to actually 'see' the devastation caused in the movies happen in the cage. Then, once they visit a school they may see things that just do not add up and they get disappointed.

I do also think that we have had some very eager promotors of Wing Chun in the past who have made some crazy claims (and even some right now!) but when it came down to the nitty gritty, they were taken apart easily by a well trained athelete. And this is the point.

MMA practitioners do take their health and fitness seriously and Wing Chun is famed for it's lazy approach and this is probably a laughing point for MMA guys. How do you expect to fight if you do not train your whole body? And I understand this view entirely. I look at Martial Art as a way of life. I take my training seriously and I have trained hard during different times of my life, but I consider myself to be a 'Martial Artist', not someone who has picked up a little skill and knows a few tricks that work against beginners!

Saying that, there are some great Wing Chun practitioners out there who do take their training and fitness seriously and it's a shame that we are targetted by the MMA crowds. It may just be because they are not well researched, or the overall quality of Wing Chun they have accessed is still generally low (?)
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 08-10-2011 at 08:14 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    Let me preface this by saying I am not (nor have been) a WC/VT (or whatever other name you prefer) practitioner. I have much respect for the style - just never seriously trained it. I've done some bits of various southern styles, but my main bread n butter is Northern Shaolin. That said...

My question for long-time practitioners of the art is this:
    I've seen way too many MMA folks on this board as well as on others, youtube, etc. (including that now-famous clip of Rogan's) totally insult and dis the style. BUT you don't hear them calling out Lung Ying, CLF, White Crane, Northern Shaolin, etc. I'm not hinting that they think these styles are better, but I am dumbfounded at this - WHY? I mean are all these people to think "Kung Fu" = Wing Chun [only]?

Was there a WC individual who got into a famous MMA match and lost so they now dis the entire style? Or what is it?

Just curious why they pick on one particular style of TCMA? Why the grudge?

(Definitely not hoping to have my main style called out, but just curious why they're doing this - plain ignorance or something more)?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do I care what Rogan thinks about wing chun? Not really. Do I care what MMA stylists think about wing chun? Not really. Folks can have their opinions.
    There is lots of junk wing chun and sloppy mma as well. I don't go to the mma forum and criticize mma.
    I enjoy watching good mma, boxing, wrestling, soccer, football,judo and many other sports and good taiji.

Wing Chun remains my game and not really interested in it spreading much and specially badly.
    More interested in what top flight wing chun people think-if and when they comment than
    in mma v wc discussions.

Good wing chun is a treasure.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do I care what Rogan thinks about wing chun? Not really. Do I care what MMA stylists think about wing chun? Not really. Folks can have their opinions.
    There is lots of junk wing chun and sloppy mma as well. I don't go to the mma forum and criticize mma.
    I enjoy watching good mma, boxing, wrestling, soccer, football,judo and many other sports and good taiji.

Wing Chun remains my game and not really interested in it spreading much and specially badly.
    More interested in what top flight wing chun people think-if and when they comment than
    in mma v wc discussions.

Good wing chun is a treasure.

joy chaudhuri
    I couldn't agree more.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Rogan is a joke unto himself(no pun intended). So definitely his opinion is worthless.

As far as the mma crowd goes. It's the in thing right now and anything that's popular gets its fair share of keyboard warriors, really no different from the WC keyboard warriors. They test their stuff too which automatically gives them bragging rights. Most WC guys don't or have never felt a hit in their life. I learned that early on, with just fighting in general, you have to be able to take a punch, otherwise you really have no business preaching IMO...

Too bad beimo matches aren't still around.... every practitioner should have to do it at least once...

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    Too bad beimo matches aren't still around....
    That would cool a lot of keyboard warriorism.
    "The ultimate nature of survival is maintaining your balance"

Quote Originally Posted by desertwingchun2 View Post
    That would cool a lot of keyboard warriorism.
    mmmm, beimo [ homer to doughnuts ]

Does it boil down to the fact that a few loud mouths of wc got into the cage and got creamed?
    More I think that a few loudmouths of WC never got in the cage or did anything else to back up their claims of superiority, and disowned the few of their stylistic brethren that really did try.
    Last edited by anerlich; 08-10-2011 at 02:56 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

One thing that I have noticed is that a lot of wannabe mma guys watch the fights and Parrot Joe Rogan. The second thing is that there are too many schools that train like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjcozWSvpjs

Instead of like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flkvnk8cPB8
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 08-10-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    One thing that I have noticed is that a lot of wannabe mma guys watch the fights and Parrot Joe Rogan. The second thing is that there are too many schools that train like this:

Instead of like this:
    That's actually a decent sparring video, especially towards the end. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    That's actually a decent sparring video, especially towards the end. Thanks for posting.
    These guys drill pretty hard too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzb5e...eature=related

They aren't perfect. If I were running this session, I would have some things to say, but the general intensity and mind set are there.

Edit:
    They don't start out connected it's just microcosm of sparring.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 08-10-2011 at 03:23 PM.

When I was active in WC a small select group of my sihingdai would get together and go what we would call 90%. Pretty realistic, no preset moves, no particular technique. It was very similar to slap boxing in that it hurt when you got hit but it was a "controlled" hurt.

I did a lot of fighting growing up and this was about as close as you could get without really fighting.

I would assume the WC guys that do MMA and are doing well practice something similar in addition to other aspects of MMA. If more people trained that way or the way guys like Anerlich train maybe WC would have a different reputation. The long and short is fighters don't respect guys who talk about combat but never do combat.

On the non-sport related side I have more than a few sihing and sidai that would be a challenge in a non-sport atmosphere. There are a few imparticular who prove that everyday and to them I say thank you for your service.
    "The ultimate nature of survival is maintaining your balance"

Simple: Joe Rogan is an idiot. How valuable is the opinion of a man who started out trying to get people to eat cream smothered animal testicles?

In my opinion, a VT guy could probably do well in UFC if and only if he was extremely conditioned and was versed in grapping/anti grappling. For most UFC guys, physical conditioning is a full time job. Lyoto Machida is one example of someone from a traditional karate background who as done well. But if you are talking about the average MMA guy who has a full time job and goes to the dojo after work and practices a couple hours a day 2 - 3 times a week. They are nothing special; they feel like since MMA is the style du jour they can kick anyone's ass. I met a few I have sparred with.
    Last edited by trubblman; 08-10-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post

Instead of like this:
    from your choice of statements its obvious you dont understand the difference in whats going on in each clip and why.
    Let me help you and others.

1st clip is the fighting distances and forces you will be in to actually hit and exchange power in a punch with parries, using a balanced stance in controlled exchanges. To help develop your technique for sparring. You can see clearly in the 1st clip both guys being coached look like either in the second clip

2nd clip is why we do so much of the 1st clip
    Last edited by k gledhill; 08-10-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trubblman View Post
    Simple: Joe Rogan is an idiot. How valuable is the opinion of a man who started out trying to get people to eat cream smothered animal testicles?

In my opinion, a VT guy could probably do well in UFC if and only if he was extremely conditioned and was versed in grapping/anti grappling. For most UFC guys, physical conditioning is a full time job. Lyoto Machida is one example of someone from a traditional karate background who as done well. But if you are talking about the average MMA guy who has a full time job and goes to the dojo after work and practices a couple hours a day 2 - 3 times a week. They are nothing special; they feel like since MMA is the style du jour they can kick anyone's ass. I met a few I have sparred with.
    Agreed , plus you need to leave the omnipotent vt idea outside the cage door, get solid bjj for ground.
    The thing that defeats many vt guys is this notion of lead leg entry back and forth eggbeater punching air attack, in straight lines.
    VT also has lateral shifting like boxers, to 'cut off the ring' , we do this in dummy work, CK ...but for some reason hardly any teachers learned to attack / like this, instead they turned it into redirecting force by turning . Machida messes guys up with lateral shifts...no longer an easy target only going backwards to a frontal assault.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 08-10-2011 at 06:02 PM.