Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does MMA target WC?

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    And this also answers northwind’s original question, Humble posted two clips and most MMA guys would agree with his assessment of the two clips, then we have Kevin saying why the first clip is so much better than the second and what it instils in the fighter…but there are no sparring or fighting clips showing how well these drills translate to actual contact drills

Most MMA guys will look at the first drill see it as non contact wisefull rubbish, and when told no it builds this and that superior ability will simply say ok where are the good sparring/fighting clips showing this?....to which we hear no if you cant see it in the first clip there’s no point posting the sparring clips because you still wont get it…..
    Yeah, you dont understand whats going on, simple, you cant see the ideas , concepts being developed.

ignorance is bliss

Agree that’s the problem and why its gets the stick from MMA guys, it talks a good fight but thats it

More CLF fighters, probably, but wing chun has the more students without a doubt so how come it produces so few fighters……………..
    Well in the entire united states, there are probably only 5 or 6 places that you could go to learn good combative WC. Even then, you don't have many training partners cause they are all at MT class. MMA hit. TCMA resisted the change. All of the athletes left for mma.

Now there are guys like Eric Paulson, Greg Nelson, and Ron Balicki who Teach JKD that have WC elements in their fighting. They still use a lot of entries to get into their grappling. Paks and bongs flow nicely into underhooks and other clinching positions.

Wing chun stands out does it…ok other than being the most popular style how exactly does it stand out? I mean theres no evidence it’s a better fighting style than other kung fu styles is there? If there is care to share it with us

Your type of post is the reason wing chun is targeted over and above other styles, you post wing chun is the best but wheres the proof ? CLF has countless clips of it working and winning in tournaments where’s wing chun’s winning record?
    its winning record , for me , is in every bar, nightclub I ever had to stop someone doing security work, never let me down.
    Sometimes with more than one guy coming at me, in wild west bar fights scenes.....last man standing ? skinny me
    I would get 'tested' by guys in security doing MT , boxing...all respected what I showed them.
    In close quarter situations, clubs, bars, in situations where going to the ground isnt a good idea , for being jumped and kicked by more than one person is common...VT

I dont believe in VT for all things ether, so knowing my own ground work also came into effect on a few occasions . I do believe in x training if your going into sport fighting of mma.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 08-11-2011 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    its winning record , for me , is in every bar, nightclub I ever had to stop someone doing security work, never let me down.
    Sometimes with more than one guy coming at me, in wild west bar fights scenes.....last man standing ? skinny me
    I would get 'tested' by guys in security doing MT , boxing...all respected what I showed them.
    In close quarter situations, clubs, bars, in situations where going to the ground isnt a good idea , for being jumped and kicked by more than one person is common...VT

I dont believe in VT for all things ether, so knowing my own ground work also came into effect on a few occasions . I do believe in x training if your going into sport fighting of mma.
    and i know several guys doing security work who did just fine with MMA stuff or just thai boxing...couple even fight in the UFC now, the difference is whilst both sides have nice stories about winning on the street, wing chun seems to lack any evidence of it working well in the ring or the cage....strange that?

And MMA is as likely to mean clinch and hit or punch and throw as it is ground fighting

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    There are more CLF fighers world-wide. I am pretty sure that it is still the most popular in China so you would expect to see more CLF clips overall.

Forgive me for saying this, but theoretically, Wing Chun should work very well, it just has to be trained properly. Structurally, it is like a kickboxing art which are quite successful in the ring. Essentially, Wing Chun hands are similar to classical MT which includes straight punches, elbows on the inside, and clinching. The diference being that the clinching isn't quite as sophisticated and WC has a cool entry system. The kicks can be whatever savate-like and landing the ball of the foot or heavy similar to MT. The problem is that few individuals are willing to train it hard.

If you ask me, Chi Sao is an easy out for people who want to be non-contact larpers so instructors taught it and paid the bills. Now there is a whole generation of instructor who have never even had a legitimate sparring match within the confines of the school let alone competed.
    Here in the last statement I absolutely agree 100%.....'teachers' used VT popularity and 'apparent'ease of teaching to develop a 'learn to fight without getting hit' $$$ mentality.
    MMA cleared the BS
    Like anything of quality, good food, you wont find it at mcdonalds, mcdojo.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Its not fighting , its a drill ..if you dont understand it that's fine. But saying it doesnt amount to anything is ignorant .
    so why not also post the clips of the guys fighting so we can see how well the drill translates into actual fighting,,,,,,,,

and i know several guys doing security work who did just fine with MMA stuff or just thai boxing...couple even fight in the UFC now, the difference is whilst both sides have nice stories about winning on the street, wing chun seems to lack any evidence of it working well in the ring or the cage....strange that?

And MMA is as likely to mean clinch and hit or punch and throw as it is ground fighting
    VT doesnt have a ground game , MT is a ring sport already...hmmm let me think
    I was fighting before mma was a way for your ego to flourish your a mantra now, tedious and boring, bye.

Who is saying anything about a ground game? Why do you keep bringing that up
    It can be clips of sparring, sanda, sanshou and have nothing to do with ground work why keep using that as an excuse? But of course whilst you love to mock others sparring clips as being not proper wing chun and you love to post clips of Bayer doing non contact drills so me can all admire him in action you cant post anything of actually sparring/fighting clips from your lineage……….

For tedious and boring should I translate into cant answer so ill just ignore you?

Who is saying anything about a ground game? Why do you keep bringing that up
    It can be clips of sparring, sanda, sanshou and have nothing to do with ground work why keep using that as an excuse? But of course whilst you love to mock others sparring clips as being not proper wing chun and you love to post clips of Bayer doing non contact drills so me can all admire him in action you cant post anything of actually sparring/fighting clips from your lineage……….

For tedious and boring should I translate into cant answer so ill just ignore you?
    No, read, your opinion of vt is insignificant...

In a security situation straight boxing can be tough. MT works if you have an instructor wants to broaden the scope beyond just ring application. You are so much better off if you don't have to strike anyone. I know of a few guys who use straight BJJ in bars as bouncers, but they work as a group and watch eachother's backs when they are on the ground.

For my money, when trying to keep it legal:

if I totally outclass someone, I prefer chin na because it allows me to stay on my feet and arrest their movement. If they are half-way tough, I would rather use what BJJ I know to hold someone down, threaten to break an arm, or choke someone. Using "pure" Wing Chun will just get you arrested.

But of course whilst you love to mock others sparring clips as being not proper wing chun and you love to post clips of Bayer doing non contact drills so me can all admire him in action you cant post anything of actually sparring/fighting clips from your lineage……….
    Why do you say 'non contact'? Because there is no punching to the head? Otherwise, I think there is a good amount of force used.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    In a security situation straight boxing can be tough. MT works if you have an instructor wants to broaden the scope beyond just ring application. You are so much better off if you don't have to strike anyone. I know of a few guys who use straight BJJ in bars as bouncers, but they work as a group and watch eachother's backs when they are on the ground.

For my money, when trying to keep it legal:

if I totally outclass someone, I prefer chin na because it allows me to stay on my feet and arrest their movement. If they are half-way tough, I would rather use what BJJ I know to hold someone down, threaten to break an arm, or choke someone. Using Wing Chun "pure" Wing Chun will just get you arrested.
    I was coached by local police on how to word a statement... He attacked me so i put my hands up to defend myself....and he fell over.
    I used vt in controlling methods too, you dont have to hit people , just dirext them : )

I would just like to add something to this discussion.

My muay thai instructor is also an instructor in jun fan gung fu, so we did a lot of chi sao back in the day.

I've used the pak sau and the bong sau for parrying successfully in the ring. The difference is that it has to be instinctual and it never works the way wing chun guys train it in their chi sao.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post

My muay thai instructor is also an instructor in jun fan gung fu, so we did a lot of chi sao back in the day.

I've used the pak sau and the bong sau for parrying successfully in the ring. The difference is that it has to be instinctual and it never works the way wing chun guys train it in their chi sao.
    Good observation , we dont use bong like chisao to fight. Chi sao is a drill.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post

MT also uses the Bil sao. Classical MT and WC have a lot in common if you ask me.