Some people are just over-sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Answer: MMA doesn't target WC.

Some people are just over-sensitive.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Agree, I pay it no mind.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    You are wise to avoid the discussion. I fully expect for you to talk about something to do with simultaneous attack and defense which has nothing to do with Newton's law.
    No I think maybe you are and NO it has nothing to do with simultaneous attack and defence! Its to do with punching! I guess you already knew that and you are going to dazzle me with your knowledge......NOT!!!

GH

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    I don't know about WSL himself since I didn't study with the man. If we are just going by that one article, it doesn't convince us that there is any science behind the ideas.

Just because he says:

... doesn't make it scientific.

However, statments like:

... show he was not a theorist, but someone who understood the need for hard practice and testing.

The fact that he left behind a method that has been propagated pretty uniformily and still producing good results suggest he really had something.
    Chee I meant by "how would you know?" meaning that you have not studied our way and you have not spent anytime training and in the company of people who share these ideas! Be careful......we may lose you in the realms of Spencer, Joy and those other guys who have a number for their names!!

GH

Graham, my response was to the article. Never mind. I think there is science behind VT/WC. It is not just a hodge podge of random movements, i.e. there is a method to the madness.

It came out of observation and testing. What would have been called 'Natural Sciences' before the modern use of the term 'science'.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Graham, my response was to the article. Never mind. I think there is science behind VT/WC. It is not just a hodge podge of random movements, i.e. there is a method to the madness.

It came out of observation and testing. What would have been called 'Natural Sciences' before the modern use of the term 'science'.
    Chee, of course there is a science behind VT!!! It is absolutely not a hodge podge of random movements. There is a very specific way in how we move in Ving Tsun and this is what the whole system is teaching us…..a way for the body to behave in combat. Such concepts as “the shortest distance between two points is a straight line” is a scientific concept. Using Newton’s 3rd law of motion of every force has an equal and opposite force to explain how the correct structure of the body can increase punching power is a scientific concept. Training our bodies to move in a way so we can be mobile and not fall over is a scientific concept. Concepts and principles are science! Look at WSL’s video aptly named “The Science of In-fighting”. Using scientific methods in order to explain and teach our bodies to move and also think in the Ving Tsun way is important. Only the other day I was watching a program in which SCIENTISTS yes SCIENTISTS!!! were analysing all different types of MA’s in order to learn how to improve them based on muscular movement. In a nutshell how can we best use our bodies to maximise our power output, speed and endurance. These are fundamental necessities in my lineage so for those who say that VT is not about science you are a bunch of mugs!!....simples!

Science covers many areas. In Wing Chun there is a lot of pseudoscience and funnily enough some people on here that post regularly fall straight into that category. They are totally caught up in Fantasy Fu land!

Esoteric pseudoscientific nonsense is rife in TCMA’s. That’s just the way it is and will always be. The vast majority of WC is nonsense because there are a lot of human beings that talk nonsense and believe nonsense. It’s everywhere in life as a whole.

I shouldn't have used 'just'. I meant WC/VT is not a hodge podge of random movements.

Correct but how many times do you see in WC schools people just stuck on arms and flailing chain punches everywhere? That is hodge podge!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    No I think maybe you are and NO it has nothing to do with simultaneous attack and defence! Its to do with punching! I guess you already knew that and you are going to dazzle me with your knowledge......NOT!!!

GH
    Either way, I am sure that it is incorrect. Therefore, it's best that you don't talk about it. It's clear that you have no understanding of what science is. It would only be the comedic icing on the cake to hear your explanation of Newton's Third Law.

IMO the second law of thermodynamics is the most relevant to forum WC ... every discussion irrevocably tending toward maximum entropy.
    Last edited by anerlich; 08-17-2011 at 03:08 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    IMO the second law of thermodynamics is the most relevant to forum WC ... every discussion irrevocably tending toward maximum entropy.
    Somebody watched "Wonders of the Universe" on the science channel recently....

Chee, of course there is a science behind VT!!! It is absolutely not a hodge podge of random movements. There is a very specific way in how we move in Ving Tsun and this is what the whole system is teaching us…..a way for the body to behave in combat. Such concepts as “the shortest distance between two points is a straight line” is a scientific concept. Using Newton’s 3rd law of motion of every force has an equal and opposite force to explain how the correct structure of the body can increase punching power is a scientific concept. Training our bodies to move in a way so we can be mobile and not fall over is a scientific concept. Concepts and principles are science! Look at WSL’s video aptly named “The Science of In-fighting”. Using scientific methods in order to explain and teach our bodies to move and also think in the Ving Tsun way is important. Only the other day I was watching a program in which SCIENTISTS yes SCIENTISTS!!! were analysing all different types of MA’s in order to learn how to improve them based on muscular movement. [COLOR="black"]In a nutshell how can we best use our bodies to maximise our power output, speed and endurance.[/COLOR] These are fundamental necessities in my lineage so for those who say that VT is not about science you are a bunch of mugs!!....simples!

Science covers many areas. In Wing Chun there is a lot of pseudoscience and funnily enough some people on here that post regularly fall straight into that category. They are totally caught up in Fantasy Fu land!

Esoteric pseudoscientific nonsense is rife in TCMA’s. That’s just the way it is and will always be. The vast majority of WC is nonsense because there are a lot of human beings that talk nonsense and believe nonsense. It’s everywhere in life as a whole.
    I admire your enthusiasm G, but saying its so doesnt make it so.

Id suggest the onlly difference between WC and any other mainstream MA is not that its scientific while the others arent.... its just that the WCers are obsessed by telling everybody it is, therefore making it "theoretically" the best MA.
    THATS why the MMA guys go us......

Its no more scientific than any of the others, and your comment that i highlighted shows you think that WC (in your case PB's) has some level of superiority.

In regards to your comment, id suggest that all MA's strive for this and that the only way to scientifically test it is in the outcome

Can you beat the other guy?

On the evidence today, its MMA that is the most scientific.

. . . . “the shortest distance between two points is a straight line”. . . .
    Not always. http://www.armystudyguide.com/conten...tic-azim.shtml
    The shortest distance can be arc. That can relate to moving around a mountain or someone's guard.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    . . . Its no more scientific than any of the others, and your comment that i highlighted shows you think that WC (in your case PB's) has some level of superiority. . . . .
    No one's WC is superior. There are good and not so good people in all ineages.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 08-17-2011 at 03:45 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    No one's WC is superior. There are good and not so good people in all ineages.
    Exactly Phil.
    And until theres a world-wide mega death tounament amongst all the WCers, no lineage is the be all and end all