Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Matsuda's monkey dvds

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    according to YC Wong, who learned from Gan Duk Hoi (Chan Sau Jung's sifu)

everyone had to learn Pek Gwa as base before learning the monkey sets

it was THREE hand sets, one dou (broadsword), a spear set

Gan had ONE black tiger set, I think it came from his wife or his sifu's wife (?)

Today I understand they say in Chan's organization there are like 25 pek gwa/pu qua sets

How'd that happen?

The story gets even better with every retelling? Chop up, chop down, chop left, chop right, seriously how much can you say about chop chop?
    Last edited by Lokhopkuen; 08-11-2011 at 02:50 PM.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    the difference is chinese secrets keep the student from being able to fight period.

chinese secret is so secret the students dont know how to hold a fighting stance
    You my friend have the second sight as the seventh son of a seventh son?
    What will happen if you keep revealing all of the 108 un-revealable secrets of the 72 un-revealable secret sercrets?!??!?!?

(((((((ha ha ha ha ha!!!))))))
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I understand that, but still...

How do you feel about Shaolim?

北少林功夫
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Though it may sound like it, the following questions are not meant to stir up a hornet's nest, nor disparage Sifu Chan.

However....

Other than himself or his students, has anyone else attested that Sifu Chan is the lineage holder for tai shing pek kwar?

If others studied the art during Sifu Chan's time of study, who is to say it was not passed on to Cho Chat Ling and that he did not pass it on to Paulie Zink?

How does the fact that Sifu Zink received three books on TSPK from a friend of Sifu Ross' squash any chance that PZ didn't also study the art with Cho Chat Ling?

I think many of us here have seen enough martial arts politics to know that many "masters" lie, inflate the truth, or are looking out for their own best interests. Could this be an example of this? How do we know whose version of the story is more credible?

In an earlier post there was a photo of PZ with CCL, does anyone know if this is credible?

I know that Sifu Chan has produced good fighters in the past, starred in a movie (maybe more), trained others who became actors, wrote a few books and was featured in numerous articles. So, he certainly has been successful in promoting himself. But does this really make his version of events more credible than anyone else's?

I would love to hear what Y C Wong has to say on the subject, since he must know both parties involved in the debate.

BTW, does anyone know if Sifu Wong learned the monkey sets?
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 08-11-2011 at 07:29 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

1st guy had better understanding in his body.

2nd guy looked like he was trying to remember what to do.

No biggy.

It looks like Bak Sil Lum! I mean, I know it's not, but dang! lol
    Pak qwar is one of the eighteen (hands) root martial essences of Bak Siu Lum.
    I see many techniques from several Bak Siu Lum advanced practice forms.
    Thanks for sharing.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Here is a Bak Sil Lum set called plum flower:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA1q8nVU4ng
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VSaI...e_gdata_player
    Last edited by Lokhopkuen; 08-11-2011 at 08:27 PM.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Here is a Bak Sil Lum set called plum flower:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA1q8nVU4ng

Here is the Pek Kwar sets again:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTuGLxjTbqA

You don't see similarity in these?

fwiw, I am not 100% certain, but I am somewhat certain that our southern shaolin broadsword set comes from Pek Kwar.
    Similarity in essence of technique but not in the construction of the practice set.
    The plum flower group attack formation where players assault five against one from 2, 5, 6, 7 and 10 O'clock positions. Moi Fa Kuen trains to break out of the deadly plum flower ambush array.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post

Other than himself or his students, has anyone else attested that Sifu Chan is the lineage holder for tai shing pek kwar?
    Gan Duk Hoi's will, Lam Jo, about 100 sifu who are from HK, most of the wu lin, I don't know, pretty much everyone

If others studied the art during Sifu Chan's time of study, who is to say it was not passed on to Cho Chat Ling and that he did not pass it on to Paulie Zink?
    "Cho Chat Ling" is a fictional person who doesn't exist. But other than that.....

How does the fact that Sifu Zink received three books on TSPK from a friend of Sifu Ross' squash any chance that PZ didn't also study the art with Cho Chat Ling?
    Prior to my hing-dai giving Zink the books, Zink only called what he did "monkey style", he said his teacher was a secret, didnt apparently know there were 5 monkey sets, oh the list is long

I would love to hear what Y C Wong has to say on the subject, since he must know both parties involved in the debate.
    I could tell you what YC Wong thinks of Zink's "pek kwar" but I'd probably get banned for foul language
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

That I personal know Wong Shifu didn’t learn Di Sheng and only a few sets of Piguaquan.

Again, one tale is that Chan learn the Di Sheng, because he married his shifu’s daughter which will make sense, i.e., keeping it in the family.

Chan Shifu did develop fighters in Hong Kong, but sadly when they came to fight in Hawaii they didn’t fair so well back in 70’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulong View Post
    That I personal know Wong Shifu didn’t learn Di Sheng and only a few sets of Piguaquan.

YC Wong didnt' learn any monkey, he learned the three pek gwa hand sets, the broadsword and the spear. Back then, that was it....

Other people learned the monkey sets... Chan Sau Jung is NOT the only one

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

That's good to know, but sadly their lineages aren’t well known which gives Chan Shifu exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulong View Post
    That's good to know, but sadly their lineages aren’t well known which gives Chan Shifu exclusively.
    it's another cluster-you-know-what because the guys who learned it who aren't Chan aren't supposed to teach it

Of course, many have, but they aren't supposed to

typical kung fu silliness

Indeed, but lately we have been seeing these lost lineages remerging which adds new introspective to varies disciplines, and actually rewriting the history books.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    Pak qwar is one of the eighteen (hands) root martial essences of Bak Siu Lum.

that is interesting and useful info