Thread: New to KungFu (MJLH)

New to KungFu (MJLH)

Howdy,

Recently my wife and I enrolled in Kung Fu classes here in Shreveport,La. I'm a 43 yr old Sp. Ed. teacher (and a good 25 lbs overweight, putting it kindly) my wife is Asian, slim, nimble and late 30's.
    The style taught is Mizong Luohan or My Jhong Law Horn. We're improving our leg strength (that challenging "Horse" stance!), balance and overall fitness. Already I can see and feel a difference after just two weeks! We're having a blast and our aim is to enjoy the journey and not worry about belts.
    It's a bit intimidating with so many teens there who can do all those spinning/high kicks and such, but I do have some confidance that we can do well with patience, concenetration, time and effort.
    Does anyone here study MJLH? Our Seifu learned under master Johnny Lee, who opened a school in Dallas after having taught in Shreveport for years. Again, we're really excited about studying Kung Fu!

Rickenbacker360

Heya!

I was studying MJLH for a few years here in Brandon, FL. My sifu(s) were Jimmy Lamon, who also came from shreveport and learned under Lee Kwong Ming (Johnny Lee.) and Stephan Levesque, who learned from Alex Kwok's branch in Canada before coming to the US to study under Master Lee. Unfortunately, due to some work, personal, and business rent issues, Sifu was no longer able to keep the school running. I loved that style, and I hope to return to it someday, somehow. As far as profitability we just couldn't compete with the Dragon Star Dojo, Tiger Schullman, Kim's Karate and worse, all the Rex Kwon Do schools in the area.

Wistfulness aside, congratulations on finding a challenging, fun style. Hope it all goes well for you
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Made white belt!

Howdy,

This weekend my wife and I passed our white belt test. It was exciting: Horse stance, kicks, punches and our "kata" or form. I participated in 1-on-1 point sparring with a middle-aged man my size and lost 2-1.
    I also broke a board and watched others do same. One fellow testing for his blue belt took a beating in a 3-on-1 sparring session! This MJLH is exciting and the wife and I are enjoying the journey, even if we're 43 and 40 respectively. My weight has increased slightly while my waistline has decreased two inches!
    Why couldn't have I discovered this 20 years ago?

Rickenbacker360

Welcome to the martial arts. There is a lot of great benefits, and you can also find a lot of b.s.. Mind this and keep an open mind and the martial arts will have a lot to offer you.

Good luck and enjoy!

edit: BTW: it's awesome the school has you sparring in the beginning. That is a good sign. A lot of schools have very little live training against resisting opponents.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 04-24-2007 at 09:21 AM.
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker360 View Post
    Howdy,

Does anyone here study MJLH? Our Seifu learned under master Johnny Lee, who opened a school in Dallas after having taught in Shreveport for years. Again, we're really excited about studying Kung Fu!

Rickenbacker360

Great school. One of the best CMA schools I have seen here in the DFW area. Master Lee has a lot of good instructors coming out of his school. I wanted to join his class. There were 2 things that I did not agree with me though. And maybe its short sightedness that prevented me in joining. 1 was contracts. I work as a consultant and at times find myself on extended jobs out of town. 3-6mos at a time. So a contract will not work for me. Second was the location and class schedules. Although minor, he about half hour drive from the train station and with my work schedule and the classes are only 2 classes during the weekday, I am not really going to be able to attend that many lessons.

Welcome to CMA. Wish you much success and hope you two stick to it.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

You will probably appreciate this article:

"Age and Kung Fu" by Ted Mancusco

http://www.plumpub.com/info/Articles/art_mancusoage.htm

Pardon me, who is your Shifu, I'm familiar with some of Shifu Lee's senior students.

Why couldn't have I discovered this 20 years ago?

Rickenbacker360
    because you weren't looking then.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Tiger on the Red

Howdy,

This is for Mulong: We're taught by Sifu Richard Mutter at Tiger on the Red in Shreveport, La. Our Sifu learned from Master Lee when he was quite young.

I also read the article from the previously posted link about older KF students.
    Everyone here is so helpful. My Jhong Law Horn is a blast!

Rickenbacker360

Howdy,

This is for Mulong: We're taught by Sifu Richard Mutter at Tiger on the Red in Shreveport, La. Our Sifu learned from Master Lee when he was quite young.

I also read the article from the previously posted link about older KF students.
    Everyone here is so helpful. My Jhong Law Horn is a blast!

Rickenbacker360
    The taint and disdain will just jump you one day.

you'll be all happy harmlessly reading a thread, then wham! some world view that is outrageously polarized against yours will hit you in the neuropathy like a wet tuna up side the head.

then, and only then will you find the helpful. :-P

wttf btw
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Glad to know you're having a good time. Best wishes for the success of both of you!

Return to MJLH

Howdy,

After some 7 years away, I returned to MJLH at Tiger on the Red in Shreveport. I'm 50 now, but survived my first class after such a long absence. Anyone else taking MJLH?

Thanks for the article link

Howdy,

Thanks for the article link, SKM. I believe it was Ted Mancuso who said that he wouldn't recommend a Northern Long-Fist style for someone over 50, although not in that article. This has weighed on my mind as I have two herniated discs in addition to being obese. My first class in 7 years went great last night and I plan to stretch daily. Mancuso speaks sensibly about warning older Kung Fu students not to attempt to keep up with college aged kids when it comes time for the more challenging moves. I'll certainly keep that in mind. Everyone here at KFM forum has been so helpful and supportive.
    I had a ball last night in my first class returning to MJLH. I've come to have an appreciation for the forms (Katas to those who practice Japanese martial arts). Learning these and practicing them at home will provide an unbeatable exercise format as well as keeping my mind active with the required concentration. Now back to standing on one foot and working on that Horse stance!
    Last edited by Rickenbacker360; 12-24-2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: clarification

I learned several routines from lost track or mi zhong yi.

I also learned some frames from yen qing.

There are so many routines using similar names.

However, they may come from totally different schools/styles.

mi zhong and luo han are both common names to mean so many schools/styles or routines.