Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: San Soo and five families

Blog Entries
    Interesting, part of the notes says CLFNole asked the question, and Sisuk Howard Choy answered the question. You know both of them, why not ask them for a verification?
    Like i said. i'm not arguing about jimmy woo. im stating that when YOU are talking, no one should really believe you. this is from personal experience. i don't need anyone to back that up, i don't need historical manuals or whatever....the proof is out there about you being a misinformationist.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Hi Frank,

The topic of this thread is San So and Five Families, not about how you dislike me, it gets a bit boring after all these years. Please send me a private email if you want to continue to insult me, I can always throw it into the junk bin.

Quote Originally Posted by extrajoseph View Post
    Hi Frank,

I didn't made up anything or just guessing, my take was based on research done by some of Jimmy H Woo's students.

http://sansoosifu.bravehost.com/GreatUncle.html

Interesting, part of the notes says CLFNole asked the question, and Sisuk Howard Choy answered the question. You know both of them, why not ask them for a verification?
    That website offered a ton of information! Now that i understand the san soo five families (thanks!), how do they correspond to ark wongs five families, or do they at all?

I don't think they are the same, even the names are different and they referred to different things, but I could be wrong since I studied neither styles.

Blog Entries
    The surname could be both but no written character was given so we can only guess and I think Jimmy wanted that way.
    I didn't made up anything or just guessing,
    I don't think they are the same, even the names are different and they referred to different things, but I could be wrong since I studied neither styles.
    LMAO at how you even lie to yourself.

Hi Frank,

When I am not sure of something I say so, that is not lying to myself, that is being honest.

Blog Entries
    Hi Frank,

When I am not sure of something I say so, that is not lying to myself, that is being honest.
    yeah ok thanks.

Last edited by hskwarrior; 08-22-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Wow, kinda an aggressive and passionate thread not sure I should even weigh in, but I'm gonna anyway
    I have read through and read history on Jimmy and such cause I recently started studying at a San Soo school in Colorado, but I wouldn't call me a crazy loyalist or anything. And despite the drama about history and such, I would say that having done San Soo for ~6 months now, I feel like it is definitely southern Kung Fu and at least somehow related to Choy Li Fut and Hung Gar. I studied Hung Gar and some Choy Li Fut with a VERY traditional Vietnamese Sifu for about 4 years, and after a couple years off and distance separating me from my teacher, I started at this place. While no doubt it is a unique systematic interpretation of teaching methodology in it's application, and to me kinda seems like it's sorta 'americanized' (which I guess makes sense based in the history I have read), it definitely 'feels' like a practical application of what I learned for years in training with my old Sifu. And while my old Sifu probably wouldn't be a fan of the ass whipping kinda focus of what I'm doing now, I personally love it and have a great time training. I honestly don't care about much outside of that. Also, I'd note that I personally am a fan of the system that Jimmy put into place (so far anyway I guess), cause I know that was always the biggest challenge for my old Sifu. He was raised in Vietnam and was trained very traditionally...outside of dedicating your life to him and training with him daily, there was little in the way of a 'system' or defined structure, and he always struggled with that in this country (needless to say those classes were always very small ).
    Sorry, not sure if any of that is super relevant. I know I'm not on here often and rarely post, and there are some great martial artists and sifu's on here (and many that seem to like to brawl ), so not trying to weigh in as an authority or anything. Just my 2c.

villain, kudos on your response...

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Every time I point this out, a horde of Jimmy Wong people pop an important blood vessel in their head

Jimmy was totally associated with the Kempo guys, Ed parker in particular, and ran a "Karate Kempo" school for a while that suddenly became "san soo KUNG FU" after the kung fu craze hit

The whole thing about it being CLF or about him being part of the Chan family never seemed to come up while he was alive (hmmmmm yeah)

after he passed away, a ton of his guys wanted CLF ranking

weird weird weird group
    That is in correct. James Wing Woo taught Ed Parker at Parkers school along with Parkers students. That was not San Soo.

James H. Woo ( Jimmy Woo ) never taught Kenpo ever. Parker wanted to learn San Soo but refused to put on a white belt. Jimmy got sick of his **** and ran him out of his school.

There are 2 James Woo's. I believe they were also cousins. Not particulary close.

I believe most in San Soo believe San Soo is some form of Choy Lay Fut. I know nothing about some asking to recieve rank from others. It may be correct. Most I do not believe ever sought out anyone else for rank unless they wen there to study as beginners.

Grasshopper covered this. Oops.

Side note- Rudy Terlinden used to teach San Soo for Jimmy Woo at one of his schools. This clip says Silat. It is not. This is San Soo ! Very end is a little Silat. That is Rudys brother I believe. They both taught for Jimmy Woo. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-xzqajezrw
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 10-29-2015 at 01:58 PM.

In the end. We are left with pieces. Fact is , in the beginning in America all these guys knew one another either personly or one person away kind of linage. WHY ? Because it was a small community. Who took what from who. Who had provable linage and who did not. That can lead one down another hole. Was Jimmy H Woo born in China or Hawaii. I was born in Hawaii by the way. Honolulu. Tripler Hosptial. Could Jimmy have said Hawaii because he was in this country illegally ? Born at a time his birth may not have been recorded in Hawaii ? He could take advantage of that but come out and say , I am from China and bye bye. He was married to a Mexican. So am I by the way. LOL. Do not marry a Mexican. No, I love her. My grandmother had no birth certifacate. Not registered. She was an Indian. Not sure when they/she finally got registered.

Did he make it all up ? Did he lie ? Did he withhold ? Does it matter either way ? One guy will believe this and another that. Until a new piece of information comes to light.
    Who learned from who ? Who admitted it ? Who denied it ?

Did Oswald pull the trigger ? Was he ONI ? Smart as they come or as stupid as a stump ? Coiencidence he was surrounded by all those people in his life he should never have been around or following orders ? One guy will say, idiot ****er lost his nut and shot number 1 dead. I personally believe he died an active Marine. Can't prove it and cant prove he was not. He was never tried. Never testified.The Warren Commision is full of falsehood and coerced testimony. Ask my father who was a TOP. Sorry, MasterGunnerySergeant, in at that time and for 30+ total. "Oswald did it, that is was what we were told to believe. The End . "

My brother is a Major USMC. VMI class of well in the 80's. Both are retired. Me ? It don't matter.
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 10-29-2015 at 04:17 PM.

Thumbs up woo

IMFMDC is 100% correct in everything he said. I was the in Los Angeles in those days , I studied from Ark Wong , I knew all of these guys. Jimmy Woo ( San Soo) came around Ark Wong's but he didn't study anything from Ark or Parker. Ed Parker did his own thing which was his kempo Karate,
    San Soo is a mixture of odds and ends. James Wing Woo taught Kung Fu - he not related to Jimmy Woo.

erbilly;1288295]That is in correct. James Wing Woo taught Ed Parker at Parkers school along with Parkers students. That was not San Soo.

James H. Woo ( Jimmy Woo ) never taught Kenpo ever. Parker wanted to learn San Soo but refused to put on a white belt. Jimmy got sick of his **** and ran him out of his school.
    Last edited by SIFU RON; 11-06-2015 at 03:26 PM. Reason: OGG
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

Quote Originally Posted by SIFU RON View Post
    IMFMDC is 100% correct in everything he said. I was the in Los Angeles in those days , I studied from Ark Wong , I knew all of these guys. Jimmy Woo ( San Soo) came around Ark Wong's but he didn't study anything from Ark or Parker. Ed Parker did his own thing which was his kempo Karate,
    San Soo is a mixture of odds and ends. James Wing Woo taught Kung Fu - he not related to Jimmy Woo.

erbilly;1288295]That is in correct. James Wing Woo taught Ed Parker at Parkers school along with Parkers students. That was not San Soo.

There are 2 James Woo's. I believe they were also cousins. Not particulary close.

I believe most in San Soo believe San Soo is some form of Choy Lay Fut. I know nothing about some asking to recieve rank from others. It may be correct. Most I do not believe ever sought out anyone else for rank unless they wen there to study as beginners.

Grasshopper covered this. Oops.

Side note- Rudy Terlinden used to teach San Soo for Jimmy Woo at one of his schools. This clip says Silat. It is not. This is San Soo ! Very end is a little Silat. That is Rudys brother I believe. They both taught for Jimmy Woo. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-xzqajezrw
    [/QUOTE]

Kool, I suspect James Wing Woo told you that. " No relation" ?

Thank you very much.

Bill

Ps. Sifu Ron, please check your pm box.