Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: San Soo and five families

San Soo and five families

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed to death before, and I did use the search feature and didn't see an answer to this question.

So I've been fascinated with the whole 5 animals - Ark Wong 5 families thing (see my previous thread for reference, and I have often come across San Soo having five families as well. From my web searches, the five families are as follows (I don't speak Chinese, and I know different dialects spell and pronounce words differently, and they may be the same depending on the dialect):

San Soo:
    Tsoi- Li- Ho- Fut- Hung

5 Animals
    Fut - Hung - Choy - Lee - Mok

Now, I have to ask the obvious - are these families in any way the same, and do these styles share some, part, or all of these lineages? If so (in any amount), what ramifications does that have? I've watched some videos on YouTube, and compared some of the forms - to my own inexpert eye, I can see some similarities in the styles that are hard to ignore.

On the flip side, I've read articles that alledge that San Soo's parent art originally included animal forms, but Jimmy Woo eliminated from the system because "men don't fight like animals" or something to that effect.

Can I get some feedback from you all on your perspectives on these two styles? Am I falling into the trap of the keyboard warrior and trying to make connections where there are none?

The 5 Southern Families are Hung, Lau, Choy, Lay & Mok
    The 5 Animals are Tiger (Fu), Panther (Pow), Crane (Hok), Snake (Seh) and Dragon (Lung).

There are of course both more families and more animals; however these were the main/most popular if you will.

Not sure how Ark Wong fits into this but Fut isn't generally a "family" persay as the Family names are surnames and "fut" means buddha but the term fut gar "buddha family" is popular and a style but it doesn't really belong with the 5 families.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    to add-Fut-Ga, or Fut-Ga Lo-Han Kuen, is an umbrella term for any and all of the Southern Siu-Lum (Shaolin) systems.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

When i said five animals above, inwas simply distingushing the two styles im comparing, as Ark Wongs style is also called five families. Its confusing

Kung Fu San Soo otherwise known as the fine art of the refined curb stomp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFU7p2S0wvU

Like it, good art - good fighting philosophy which produced some very well known fighters (Don "the Dragon" Wilson, and Kathy Long).

I though Don "The Dragon" Wilson was from White Tiger.

Don is Pai Lum...

whats a san soo

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

San soo is phonetic Romanization of 散手or San Sau (Cantonese/Guangzhouese) or Sanshou (Mandarin) a style introduce by Chin Siu Dek (Jimmy H. Woo) to the states.

seems made up.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Sorry to inform you, it is a style taught in Southern California; indeed, it means scatter hands, but that is what Woo Shifu decided to call his style. It seems to borrow notions from cailifoquan/ Choi Lei Faht Kyuhn.
    Last edited by Mulong; 08-12-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Every time I point this out, a horde of Jimmy Wong people pop an important blood vessel in their head

Jimmy was totally associated with the Kempo guys, Ed parker in particular, and ran a "Karate Kempo" school for a while that suddenly became "san soo KUNG FU" after the kung fu craze hit

The whole thing about it being CLF or about him being part of the Chan family never seemed to come up while he was alive (hmmmmm yeah)

after he passed away, a ton of his guys wanted CLF ranking

weird weird weird group
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Okay there is James Wing Woo, who supposedly does fojiaquan, cailifoquan and teaches Yang****aijiquan and is associated with Ed Parker, and then there is Chin Siu Dek or better known as Jimmy H. Woo, who taught San Soo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulong View Post
    Okay there is James Wing Woo, who supposedly does fojiaquan, cailifoquan and teaches Yang****aijiquan and is associated with Ed Parker, and then there is Chin Siu Dek or better known as Jimmy H. Woo, who taught San Soo.
    Jimmy Wong (who when he was alive was never "Chin Siu Dek") sitting next to parker, standing next to parker, training with parker, in a gi (it might have been a black one, don't remember), with a big old "kemp karate" banner in his window

Tony Galvin from San Fran was old enough to remember this, people think that no one has a memory that stretches back more than a few years

Some of us are OLD and know people who are even OLDER

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Plus, does anyone really buy there is a "version" of CLF that for some strange reason doesn't have gwa, deng, so, biu jong and chaap????