Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: San Soo and five families

Interesting, I wasn’t aware that; this is a particular period we should focus on the true pioneers of CMA in the States, before the Bruce Lee boom.

Thanks Frank for sharing your knowledge…

Blog Entries
    Interesting, I wasn’t aware that; this is a particular period we should focus on the true pioneers of CMA in the States, before the Bruce Lee boom.

Thanks Frank for sharing your knowledge…
    you're welcome brother. when i was doing my research my sigung told me that his sifu (Lau Bun) was here first, then Ark Wong, then T.Y. Wong. Oh yeah Mah Sek was here too. not sure when he arrived to the states tho.

You know there is one Hung Gar master i'd like to get info on. his name was Chan Heung but not the CLF Chan Heung of course. he was a stout man.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 08-17-2011 at 04:09 PM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Ark wong - jimmy woo - james wing woo

These 3 men contributed to the beginning of Kung Fu and martail Arts in the USA.

Your information Grasshopper101 is incorrect. I wonder, why you hide your personal idenity form us here on this forum, An e-mail contact means nothing.

I trained with Gm Ark Y Wong from 1959 - 1985. Jim Anestasi and I are his first non Chinese students. Wanna read about it Grasshopper101 go to http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

Grasshopper 101 you posted Jimmy Woo and Ark Wong's ( five families are one in the same ) this is false.

Ark Y Wong taught Taditional Chinese Kung Fu. He taught tradional 5 Family Style Kung Fu. He became known as the five family style because whenever he perofrmed in public he always did an animal set and back in those days few if anyone had ever seem Kung Fu. As has been pointed out before on this from there is no " five aninal style ' all tradinal Chinese Kung Fu Styles have the animals in them.

IKFMDC has pointed out Jimmy Woo taught Kempo Karate, he is correct. I met Jimmy Woo at Ark Wong's pace,he bought books and on occasion a weapon.I use to vist Jimmy Woo at his School in Covina , and watch his classes . I like the way he taught.

James Wing Woo taught tradional chinese Kung Fu, I met him many times, a fine man. His Kung Fu was 100% Kung Fu.

Jimmy Woo and Ark Wong are not cousins thats a joke.

Your words Grasshopper101 are meaningless , people that post on this forum without proof of identification of whom they are , are not taken seriously, they fall into the troll catagory.

Ron Shewmaker
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

Frank, are you aware there was a student of Lahm Sih Wihng/ Lín, Shìróng 林世荣, living in Bay Area; one of my shifu accidently mention him.

Sifu Ron, thank you for that informative response; I’m truly curious about this period which sadly hasn’t been well documented.

Blog Entries
    Lau Bun- Ark wong - jimmy woo - james wing woo
    These 4 men contributed to the beginning of Kung Fu and martail Arts in the USA.
    there. fixed that for you.

Lín, Shìróng 林世荣
    when was he here?
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 08-18-2011 at 10:35 AM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by SIFU RON View Post

IKFMDC has pointed out Jimmy Woo taught Kempo Karate, he is correct. I met Jimmy Woo at Ark Wong's pace,he bought books and on occasion a weapon.I use to vist Jimmy Woo at his School in Covina , and watch his classes . I like the way he taught.

Ron Shewmaker
    I am going to save this post for eternity, thanks
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I am going to save this post for eternity, thanks
    I bet you will!

Quote Originally Posted by SIFU RON View Post
    These 3 men contributed to the beginning of Kung Fu and martail Arts in the USA.

Your information Grasshopper101 is incorrect. I wonder, why you hide your personal idenity form us here on this forum, An e-mail contact means nothing.

I trained with Gm Ark Y Wong from 1959 - 1985. Jim Anestasi and I are his first non Chinese students. Wanna read about it Grasshopper101 go to http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

Grasshopper 101 you posted Jimmy Woo and Ark Wong's ( five families are one in the same ) this is false.

Ark Y Wong taught Taditional Chinese Kung Fu. He taught tradional 5 Family Style Kung Fu. He became known as the five family style because whenever he perofrmed in public he always did an animal set and back in those days few if anyone had ever seem Kung Fu. As has been pointed out before on this from there is no " five aninal style ' all tradinal Chinese Kung Fu Styles have the animals in them.

James Wing Woo taught tradional chinese Kung Fu, I met him many times, a fine man. His Kung Fu was 100% Kung Fu.

Jimmy Woo and Ark Wong are not cousins thats a joke.

Your words Grasshopper101 are meaningless , people that post on this forum without proof of identification of whom they are , are not taken seriously, they fall into the troll catagory.

Ron Shewmaker
    I really don't know what you want from me - my name, address, phone number, DOB, and social security number? Really? I don't know who you think I am, but I can assure you that whoever you think I may be - I'm not, and other than my posts a couple of months ago, I've never visited, registered, or posted on this forum.

Like I said, I will be happy to communicate with you in private to establish whatever identity you are looking for, but the fact is unregistered visitors are able to read any thread on here, and forgive me for not wanting to publish my personal information as I am not a member of Lifelock.

As far as the information you posted, I have a couple of questions:

Five families - the listings I found for the five families on various San Soo and Ark Wong websites list them as the same. Are they just similar names, are the "five families" generic in the sense that many styles can claim to be decended from them, or is there a specific style that is specific that he taught?

Also, you said Jimmy H. Woo taught Kenpo. Can you elaborate on that with specifics, as the San Soo people I talked to are very opposed to that idea.

Don't you see why people think you are a troll?

You post outrageous claims with no evidence and ALSO not identify yourself

So it looks like the only point of what you are posting is to cause controversy

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper101 View Post

Five families - the listings I found for the five families on various San Soo and Ark
    Wong websites list them as the same.
    Maybe one group, since they don't have a real history to fall back upon, have just copied the other group's history? I'll leave it up to you to try and figure out which group is which

Also, you said Jimmy H. Woo taught Kenpo. Can you elaborate on that with specifics, as the San Soo people I talked to are very opposed to that idea.
    Gee, why would the san soo people prefer to say they do a rare kung fu style as opposed to american kempo? Yeah, that's a mystery

If you are not a troll, you are pretty dense. If you're not a troll, let me ask you , how old are you?

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Frank, I know he was alive back in late 90's; not sure he taught or not...

Cool

Don't you see why people think you are a troll?

You post outrageous claims with no evidence and ALSO not identify yourself

So it looks like the only point of what you are posting is to cause controversy

Maybe one group, since they don't have a real history to fall back upon, have just copied the other group's history? I'll leave it up to you to try and figure out which group is which

Gee, why would the san soo people prefer to say they do a rare kung fu style as opposed to american kempo? Yeah, that's a mystery

If you are not a troll, you are pretty dense. If you're not a troll, let me ask you , how old are you?
    So how can I identify myself? Post my high school year book photo or something? I have repeatedly offered for anyone to PM me and ask me whatever you want, but no one has taken me up on the offer so I really don't know what the flap is all about. Tell you what - you post your credit card number and secret code on the back on the forum first, then I will. I really don't understand why or what you guys are asking for in regards to that.

As far as my claims, what is outrageous? I've only reposted what I've gleaned by searching through other posts and just put it all together. Well, I asked for info, received a lot of looks but not much information, so I did the best I could with what I found.

Ark and Jimmy knew each other. Websites I look at for both styles list the EXACT same five families. People suggested that the may have been distantly related. Some people say Jimmy taught Kenpo, while others think thats a load of crap. Both guys emmigrated to the US at age 21. Where did they receive all of their training (Ark's is far better documented), but then again Ark was made a master at age 19 due to a great lion dance compeitition? Master of all the styles he taught?

Why is this trolling to ask these questions?

By the way, I'm 39.
    Last edited by Grasshopper101; 08-18-2011 at 06:25 PM.

I corresponded with one of Ed Parker's long time friends and students, Dr. Ron Chapel on the San Soo/Kenpo connection and was informed that back then lots of the martial artists would together and trade ideas and fighting concepts. It wasn't an issue of "studying" with them or being their student. For example, Bruce Lee had lots of contact with Ed Parker and even stayed with him awhile and went down to his school, but you wouldn't say that Lee was a student of Parker, Bruce also had some contact with the Kajukenbo crowd back then (CHA-3 branch I believe).

Dr. Chapel, went on to say that Woo and Parker exchanged ideas and Woo DID get alot of input from Parker on how to market his style and school, but neither one was a student of the other (I have also heard that Parker was in fact a student of San Soo, so the rumor goes both ways).

BTW Dr. Chapel was also a student of Ark Wong before studying with Ed Parker
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

See, you are still acting like a troll

So how can I identify myself? Post my high school year book photo or something?
    I didn't say you had to identify yourself, but I said that if you make outrageous claims AND don't identify yourself then you are making it seem like you are trolling

As far as my claims, what is outrageous?
    telling people who have for DECADES been in the Mo Lam/Wu Lin that Ark Wong and Jimmy Woo are cousins, that their arts are the same, that Ark Wong did Hop Gar, etc etc etc etc

You do realize one of Ark Wong's TOP STUDENTS has already told you that you are wrong and you continue

Ark and Jimmy knew each other. Websites I look at....
    Here's where you REALLY come off as a troll, you keep insisting based upon web sites you've read and on the other side you have the ACTUAL PEOPLE INVOLVED

Ark's is far better documented
    That's called LOGIC and if you applied it more frequently you'd be having less grief

Why is this trolling to ask these questions?
    because you've already been told by people directly involved that it's silly nonsense and yet you continue

By the way, I'm 39.
    No way to say this nicely, but if that is true, pretty sad. You apparently lack basic common sense in how you are approaching this. If you were 16 or 23 I'd give you a little slack but at 39 you should know better

See, you are still acting like a troll

I didn't say you had to identify yourself, but I said that if you make outrageous claims AND don't identify yourself then you are making it seem like you are trolling

telling people who have for DECADES been in the Mo Lam/Wu Lin that Ark Wong and Jimmy Woo are cousins, that their arts are the same, that Ark Wong did Hop Gar, etc etc etc etc

You do realize one of Ark Wong's TOP STUDENTS has already told you that you are wrong and you continue

Here's where you REALLY come off as a troll, you keep insisting based upon web sites you've read and on the other side you have the ACTUAL PEOPLE INVOLVED

That's called LOGIC and if you applied it more frequently you'd be having less grief

because you've already been told by people directly involved that it's silly nonsense and yet you continue

No way to say this nicely, but if that is true, pretty sad. You apparently lack basic common sense in how you are approaching this. If you were 16 or 23 I'd give you a little slack but at 39 you should know better
    I don't know if they are cousins or not and did not say they WERE, I said MAY BE - someone else suggested it and I brought it up.

Telling people that Ark Wong did Hop Gar? Dude, its on the wikipedia page, which I posted a link to. HOW does that make me a troll? Wouldn't the people who put it on wikipedia be the trolls?

Now, when I look at the arts as demonstrated by Ark and Jimmy, they don't look the same per se. However, I can see what I percieve to be a couple of similarities in some forms, but what I don't know is if that its coincidental because they are both southern kung fu, or something else. Since both list the same five families, I am still trying to figure out what that means, if anything. Nobody on here has offered any sort of insight on that yet. Instead, I get accused of not identifying myself.

So you get to have your own theory that San Soo is kenpo. How come I can't wonder why both Jimmy and Ark list the same five families?

Speaking of kenpo, although I'm not convinced yet that San Soo came from that, I am intrigued if there is any additional information out that that can shed some light on that angle.

Telling people that Ark Wong did Hop Gar? Dude, its on the wikipedia page,
    Like I said, a complete lack of common sense....