Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What techniques should MMA adopt from Kung Fu?

What techniques should MMA adopt from Kung Fu?

A couple come to mind:

-'Cutting leg' techniques from Northern Mantis
    -Shoulder/hip strikes from Baji, etc.

Both very effective, easy to apply and significantly expand your arsenal of techniques.

diu sau and ou lou choi from mantis.

the side kick has been shown to be very effective by people that know how to work it. of course this is more of a TMA than a TCMA thing. You see a higher use of the turn back kick, but id like to see it even more. I think for some people there is seen to much of a risk vs. reward with the turn back kick...but at the same time the turn back kick is the most powerful kick the human body can deliver...something very sweet at seeing a TKO from a body kick.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Chi Blasts.

I couldn't help myself.

meditation

The peaceful, non-violent side of it.

They pretty much have fightin' down.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    the side kick has been shown to be very effective by people that know how to work it. of course this is more of a TMA than a TCMA thing. You see a higher use of the turn back kick, but id like to see it even more. I think for some people there is seen to much of a risk vs. reward with the turn back kick...but at the same time the turn back kick is the most powerful kick the human body can deliver...something very sweet at seeing a TKO from a body kick.
    I was thinking this as well.

Er, easy to grab, especially if its above the waist. I remember a tournament I competed in and though the guy got me in the stomach a bunch of times with his sidekick I just grabbed his leg before he could withdraw it and tossed him on his ass. (Note: I was doing a lot of v-ups at the time so my abs were pretty solid.)

EO

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    diu sau and ou lou choi from mantis.
    to be honest i cant see that working in full contact when the hands not left out there but i might be wrong, as for the crazy monkey bits you showed, lets just say ive seen it done differently who coached you on it?

ive used it well in MMA sparring, but then it is easier to catch than a front push kick but if you have a good clinch game its good to use

The ancient TCMA principle of "talk less, listen more and be humble"!

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    to be honest i cant see that working in full contact when the hands not left out there but i might be wrong, as for the crazy monkey bits you showed, lets just say ive seen it done differently who coached you on it?
    I don't know crazy monkey - That's just robot walking to warm up (like T-Rex arms to keep from reaching), just to get used to keeping the hands up elbows in. I'd love to do CMD, but it tain't around here.
    Last edited by MightyB; 11-04-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Chopstick Eye-strikes. Blinding/Breaking techniques. CRANE.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 11-04-2011 at 07:14 PM.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    my dog pi$$es fire technique, i've heard of it never seen...
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.