Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Relativity

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    LOL! People don't lose consciousness when they "blow" a form.
    I was not talking about that, obviously you're right in that sense, but the pressure to perform in a fight and in a performance with other musicians IS similar. If one blows it, the injury to pride is also similar. The physical results are different, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Somehow, I can't picture someone struggling, like I did, not to vomit and **** themselves when their fight or flight instincts kick in about 2 minutes before a fight.
    All performers face this. You can easily find examples of ballet dancers and musicians who vomit before many performances, even top level ones. This is exactly the same, no different, from what a fighter faces pre-fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    and this is not talking about sparring. There is a difference between sparring and going out in front of people and fighting full tilt.
    I'm not saying there isn't, but the difference is in degree(unless we're talking people who spar each other a lot and are not going heavy).

My comment was regarding the pressure to perform, and it's the same for all fields, especially those at the top.

I forgot to quote LKFMDC. I was not discussing forms, as far as I'm concerned, forms aren't something to display and perform, but personal notes on a style. I was discusing the pressure to do well. Are you claiming that you feel more pressure to perform well in what has meaning for you than, say, Marvin Gaye did? I don't think you are suggesting that.

Yes being hit sucks, but when you've entered a fight, are you really completely accepting of the idea that you might get utterly crushed? Hopefully not, which means that does not add to the pressure to change it completely from the same feeling that a musician playing with other quality musicians live has regarding blowing it.

Fear responses DO NOT necessarily get linked rationally, so adding the possibility of getting hit does not mean that the fear is that different than someone else faces from things that don't relate to actual possibility of harm.

If you haven't barfed from pre-fight fear, then you may not be feeling the same pressure a ballerina who does barf has before that performance, irrespective of getting hit.

99% of fighters who, in losing, are not risking losing their career, may face the stress of the potential of getting hit, but do not face the stress professional performers face of losing their entire careers for one bad performance, and humans DO display, FULL ON, survival mechanisms regarding things that DON'T threaten their bodily health one bit.

/digression
    Last edited by Taixuquan99; 08-12-2011 at 01:20 PM.

To repeat, almost no one on this forum who ever fought in the ring faced losing their entire livelihood. Are you saying stress responses always follow rational reasoning in their display? Never genetic or irrational?

I know it hurts the pride when I say the stress you feel is almost assuredly similar to that a top level ballerina feels, but it shouldn't. You wish that Natalie Portman would play you in the story of your life.
    Last edited by Taixuquan99; 08-12-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Sorry, KC, but I don't buy that the stress is anywhere close when you face the threat of bodily harm, injury, or possibly death. And that's the type of shit that goes through your head before a fight.

You start thinking about what would happen if you're crippled and you can't work for your family and play with your kids, etc. It's just not the same.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

wait...are you telling me taixuquan99 is kc elbows?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

it's colonel mustard in the dining room with a candle stick
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Tai. I get what your saying, I do. But to me there is major differences in the emotional meter we are talking about. We are almost talking about going back to a primal state when you enter into a full tilt fight. Sorry I just can't compare a ballerina, piano performance, or anything really that comes close to that. Of course I have no experience in the ballerina or piano performances at any level. I played many sports in HS from football to wrestling and honestly wrestling was the closest but still not on the same level as going out and fighting full weight and tilt in a ring/cage.

I can comprehend your thoughts on the degree of stress you encounter, but I can remember my first fight and it was like nothing I had ever experienced before or after.

If you are speaking in terms of scale I really don't even think it's on the scale.

Just my thoughts though.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

I think that the level of emotional intensity is quite similar, but the actual emotional response itself is what is different.

so yes, and no.

the stress and emotional response in having to perform something you have literally trained your entire life for can be crushing, and in its own right and way a very severe experience

but its not combat, against a really strong guy trying his best to hurt you bodily.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Sorry, KC, but I don't buy that the stress is anywhere close when you face the threat of bodily harm, injury, or possibly death. And that's the type of shit that goes through your head before a fight.

You start thinking about what would happen if you're crippled and you can't work for your family and play with your kids, etc. It's just not the same.
    You're comparing apples and oranges here. The only kind of fight I have seen brought up on this thread is the kind that takes place in a ring. We're not talking about Thunderdome here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    Tai. I get what your saying, I do. But to me there is major differences in the emotional meter we are talking about. We are almost talking about going back to a primal state when you enter into a full tilt fight. [snip]

[snip] If you are speaking in terms of scale I really don't even think it's on the scale.

Just my thoughts though.
    Those are your very personal and therefore, subjective, thoughts.

Not everybody freaks out like that with a ring fight. I know I didn't. I've done a ****load of forms comps but only 2 actual fights, 3 if I count a full contact karate tourney I entered back in my TKD days when I was much younger. I really didn't find the fights any more stressful than the comps. My national forms comp was actually a lot more stressful for me than my leitai fights were. I was really nervous waiting for things to start because I didn't know much about what it would be like but once it started, I was really pretty relaxed and had a good time in there. No "primal state" for me.

Somehow, I can't picture someone struggling, like I did, not to vomit and **** themselves when their fight or flight instincts kick in about 2 minutes before a fight.
    Regardless of whether you can picture it or not, as has been mentioned, actual examples abound. Read a couple biographies here and there. Heck, I have heard stand up comic being interviewed who talked about how they did vomit before going on stage back when they were getting started.

Who said performance wushu is safe!?!

Last edited by omarthefish; 08-12-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Joking aside, injuries are often just as common in non-combat sports as in combat sports. Soccer sees a lot of broken legs. Here's a wushu injury in action:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTg0ODQwMjc2.html

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    understand omar. everyone experiences it differently. Like I stated at the bottom of my post. "just my thoughts" done comps. before as well, and done other tournament based stuff. But like I stated nothing comes compares to the ring.

Was giving a description of what I felt that time out there. every eye looks at the world differently.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

I certainly don't deny your own experiences. I just felt like the thread was turning into some sort of dlck measuring contest.

every eye looks at the world differently.
    Darn straight.

The main thing that people are missing is that stage fright, whether about a performance or about a fight, is just not a rational thing. Some people, heck, lots of people are just plain far more scared of losing face than of injuries. Embarrassment can hurt more than injury.

I know that in my Sanda fight, that was actually what I was most scared of: I didn't want to embarrass my teacher. THAT was my biggest fear. Getting injured never really crossed my mind.

I think it is worth noting that experience is a factor. You are not going to be as nervous doing anything the 1,034th time as you are the 1st time.

Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    To repeat, almost no one on this forum who ever fought in the ring faced losing their entire livelihood. Are you saying stress responses always follow rational reasoning in their display? Never genetic or irrational?
    EVERYTIME you fight, that's a possibility.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    most are there for health and fitness

only a few are there for the fight.

even then, fight career is brief

"we may lose fights

but do not lose health".

so they said.
    I had met a friend yesterday that I haven't seen him for 15 years. When we talked about CMA, I realized that we took complete different paths.

What my friend is working on are how to:

- let the bone to pull the tendon, let the tendon to pull the muscle, ...
    - develop from heel up all the way to the head.
    - develop body pushes arm and body chases arm.

In other words, Everything that he has tried to develop is to target "himself".

What I'm working on are how to:

- delievery pain on my opponent's body.
    - destroy my opponent balance.

In other words, Everything that I have tried to develop is to target "my opponent". When I train TCMA, health will never be my concern.

I truly don't know whether I belong to the main stream or my friend belongs to the main stream.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-15-2011 at 02:19 AM.