Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Relativity

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    would you not say there is a big difference between piano and MA's in general and the 2 are not very compatible for comparison? I can understand your point of view but there is a difference between getting beat in the face and playing a piano in my books. just my 2 cents though.

I live martial arts... I see everything I do in my everyday life through its scope so to me there isn't a big difference between mastering an instrument, mastering cooking techniques, mastering martial arts, etc.

It takes time, effort, practice, technique, patience to master the piano

It takes time, effort, practice, technique, patience to master the fighting arts

Last edited by pateticorecords; 08-11-2011 at 12:35 PM.
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

this is true. however when comparing the two, it would be much easier to become profecient at playing the piano, by yourself, once you reach a certain point. where as in martial arts, you MUST fight other people to get good at it, and in essence have continual coaching, even if it comes in the format of learning via fighting.

i think the correlation to a pianist would be competition or constant critique from an outside source.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

we have all met musicians who 'think' they are great but arent, and likewise for martial artists. i think the connection is often one and the same, too much time alone. or simply not enough talent or hard work.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Blog Entries
    What's the different between a scholar and a TCMA guy?

When a scholar tries to answer 10 questions in exam, if he has problem on Q3, he can skip it and works on Q4. After he has finished Q10, he can then go back to work on Q3.

When a guy stabs his dagger at a TCMA guy's chest, he had only 1/10 second to response. He will never have the 2nd chance like the scholar has.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    where as in martial arts, you MUST fight other people to get good at it, and in essence have continual coaching, even if it comes in the format of learning via fighting.
    this is what I'm stating about the details.

I agree with you pate. to a certain extent, you are describing to me the passion and drive and dedication it takes and I have no argument on those accords. My thoughts were that it's a different animal between the 2 of MA's and piano. Piano is a solo thing, for MA's you have to have an opponent to grasp the "details"
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    we have all met musicians who 'think' they are great but arent, and likewise for martial artists. i think the connection is often one and the same, too much time alone. or simply not enough talent or hard work.
    totally agree with you...
    Tom

I know this is going beyond the original point of the thread, but:

A MA NEEDS an opponent to understand his system, but it is ALONE that he perfects it.

Many times people take the "alone path" before they are ready.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    this is what I'm stating about the details.

I agree with you pate. to a certain extent, you are describing to me the passion and drive and dedication it takes and I have no argument on those accords. My thoughts were that it's a different animal between the 2 of MA's and piano. Piano is a solo thing, for MA's you have to have an opponent to grasp the "details"

I agree with you...

However, the point I was trying to make is that you shouldn't worry so much about about what X, Y, or Z are doing... it's their prerogative to pursue whatever they so desire... if they make claims to this or that it shouldn't matter to you as an individual unless it affects you. So what if they think they can fly, destroy walls with their Qi, kill someone with one touch, fight anyone on the planet....

Why care so much about it? Why spend so much time debating it?
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post

A MA NEEDS an opponent to understand his system, but it is ALONE that he perfects it.

very valid point

relative humidity, def.: the beads of sweat that accumulate on ur ballz while ur f*cking ur sister

just seemed important to clarify that here for sum reason...

Quote Originally Posted by pateticorecords View Post
    I agree with you...

However, the point I was trying to make is that you shouldn't worry so much about about what X, Y, or Z are doing... it's their prerogative to pursue whatever they so desire... if they make claims to this or that it shouldn't matter to you as an individual unless it affects you. So what if they think they can fly, destroy walls with their Qi, kill someone with one touch, fight anyone on the planet....

Why care so much about it? Why spend so much time debating it?
    on that we are of the same mind. let them dream who need not be awakened. but like in my earlier post, this can be dangerous with MA. what if you get someone who truly believes they are a fighter, but are anything but. at what point is it a responsibility of yours (as one who can see the truth about them) to let them on to their error? if you care or respect them enough that is...You certainly would not want them trying to confront a situation they are not prepared for based on self inflicted ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post

Words of Wisdom

BTW, I am not trying to argue with anyone... it is only my point of view.

I have always been a proponent of trying things out to see if they work, practice with as many people as possible (especially if they train in other arts), and incorporate as much as you can (striking, grappling, kicking, etc) to advance your skills
    Tom

no one is arguing, we are simply discussing as mature gentlemen.

on that we are of the same mind. let them dream who need not be awakened. but like in my earlier post, this can be dangerous with MA. what if you get someone who truly believes they are a fighter, but are anything but. at what point is it a responsibility of yours (as one who can see the truth about them) to let them on to their error? if you care or respect them enough that is...You certainly would not want them trying to confront a situation they are not prepared for based on self inflicted ignorance.
    If and when the time comes and you have that relationship of trust with the person to call them out and/or talk to them about it... then of course do it otherwise they will learn the hard way... really HARD way...lol
    Tom

no one is arguing, we are simply discussing as mature gentlemen.
    Who, according to taai, get sweaty balls from doing our sisters.
    Sick *******.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !