Page 39 of 58 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Green Dragon Studios

and you wonder why everyone is so critical of Greendragon?
    Where did you get the idea that I "wonder" why most mainstream kung fu-ers are criticial of GD? Careless reader?

Happy trails, though, O Royal One.

Well, maybe because most are critical of Green Dragon...
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Well, maybe because most are critical of Green Dragon
    Not quite a sensible response to what I said, eh? English is maybe not your first language?

Either way, RD, it's now very painfully clear that I gave you much more credit than was justified.

My mistake.

blah!

on one side, you have 99 bak mei schools whose technique all looks the same

on the other side you have green dragon with it's bak mei which looks like all it's other forms

hmmmmmm.... which should you question?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    blah!

on the other side you have green dragon with it's bak mei which looks like all it's other forms

Okay...I'll bite: who are these Bak Mei schools? I'd like to see what THEIRS looks like.

Where did you learn your Bak Mei?

Ummmmmmmm...the people who say the Earth is flat? Or that it's at the center of the universe, and the Sun and all the other planets go around it? Or the people who say man never really landed on the Moon?

If you get my drift.

Nighty, night, lkf.

(Incidentally, the logical error you happen to be guilty of above is: Appeal to "authority.")

Rev Jones would be proud, now run back to you kewl aid
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    blah!

Okay...I'll bite: who are these Bak Mei schools? I'd like to see what THEIRS looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post

Here are some Bok Mei clips that are very good. Although there are always differences from school to school, all these school embodie certain principles, and you'll admit, they all resemble each other pretty closely.

Green Dragon, however, does not even look like anything I've ever seen before. And I don't mean that in a good way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4dh7p7YU3U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lji8_uf1ljE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAw3U...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97Gr5ae2EEI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmQO-0trvgY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjleYT8oSog

These are just a few, you can find plenty on youtube.

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    pretty good example of what the style looks like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAw3U...elated&search=

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iron tiger View Post
    Now there is some sweet irony!

where's the irony? last i checked, Dave's claims as to what he knows are based on...gasp...what he actually learned!

anyway, all the GD stuff has pretty much the same flavor - looks very Northern; never mind that from a movement analysis perspective, they are operating out of some very interesting principles (which may just be another example of how GD does everything "different" from everyone else)

Except for the first one, all of these were very good.

You can really see the structural alignement, and use of internal power in the movements. watch the back and spine. You can see the connectiveness, and core body really being the source of thier power.

The Green Dragon stuff is all arms, and disconnected. It's not even the same style of motion in any way, shape or form.

The same goes for Green Dragon's Tai Tzu. It's all disconnected, no core body power. They don't even have the basic body structure for Tai Tzu. Thier forms look like a dancer had learned them from a video of a competition, but has no real core understanding of the art...our group has 9 month students who have a better mastery of thier core system.

I can see the Green Dragon guys train real hard and all, but it's pretty much just made them "Really Good at Being Really Bad"

anyway, all the GD stuff has pretty much the same flavor - looks very Northern; never mind that from a movement analysis perspective

Reply]
    It's not any Northern looking art I have ever seen.

"Really Good at Being Really Bad" is a trademarked phrase of Monkey slap - used with permission
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 01-16-2007 at 09:47 PM.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I think you have to look at the forest through the trees with their stuff. Its a good way to find many different styles at one place and see if it intrests you. Then you can find a teacher in this art. You have to remember this was the eightys way before the web, so finding diffrent styles usaly ment whats in the phone book.

Its a money maker becase no matter how bad it is by the time you know its not the best, your money is gone. The good things they do have is their core style and power excercises (body and palm is the best to come out of there). but even thier best cant be learned from a tape.

You cant really belive that a school could study so many styles and be good at any (student of many, master of none) its just common sense. who is going to be so good that they could teach Mantis, xing yi, shaolin, wing chun..... from a tape. It takes many years just to be decent at just one of the arts let alone 30 or so. Allen isnt superman and I dont belive he's trained with a master in any of these arts just Ong and a dissputed teaching from Wong.

Let the sheep belive what they want, just means that on the street you can defeat them as they use thier authentic art..
    Last edited by Akronviper; 01-16-2007 at 10:02 PM.

Response to Iron Weasal:

where did I learn Bak mei?

I learned Bak Mei Wu Dip Sau from 'Uncle' Jack Moy in schaumberg IL. Never finished the system, but worked South Mantis (Chu Gar) with another student of his (Who is an exceptional Hakka style teacher). I don't see myself as a Bak Mei expert - but I know the basics of the method, and have encountered multiple other schools such as Sifu Zhang in San Francisco. Oh, and watched plenty at demos I took part in.

The Green Dragon Bak Mei exhibits none of the characteristics of the style as it is practiced by any legitimate Bak Mei school.

It is as much Bak Mei Pai as Mcdonalds is Haute Cuisine.

If you don't like to hear that, just demonstrate your Bak Mei at a legite school, but be careful, as these guys do fight at the drop of a hat.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Now in true GD practice, I expect them to toss insults at my teacher telling me they did not know anything...
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!