"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Iron Fist,

Sorry, haven't been on in a while.
    I'll check the pm now.
    peace
    "Grow through Pain." - Tainan Mantis

Count Dante was the black dragon society comic book guy with the wolfman jack look. "The most dangerous man alive...ever" "Really!...just ask him!"

I've seen John Allen's ching lung pa kua tapes and they're pretty good tapes. The kuas are broken down and explained in a easy to understand way.

I haven't seen any of the north shaolin tapes they offer though and i am not certain of which north shaolin style it is. anybody know this?

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Correct give the man a prize! Actually pre-black dragon society days(Ashida Kim now heads the BDS lol) he was an instructor under Robert Trias and trained with James Lee. Black Dragons and the Green Dragons(Chi Tao Chuan) had the now infamous war in which one of the Green Dragons were killed with a katana. Count Dante was an international hair-dresser who died of a bleeding ulcer. Excellent example of fact being stranger than fiction.

Hey Guys thanks for participating in this thread.

I still would like to know who else has a training manual from GD.

Also I would like to keep this thread focused on GD studios and their material. Sorry but unfortunately my time is very limited and I would appreciate if everyone would post only to what is pertinate to this thread.
    Thanks again for your help.

It was not a katana. It was a dagger.
    Regards

Did anyone get Tam Tui material besides the exercises?

How about White ape steals the peach?

If so what are your impression of the material?

Ching Lung

Hi Neito,

Yes, I am from Winnipeg - hope to see you next month!

Please give my fondest regards to the boys and Sifu Chan - feel free to email me...

Cheers - kevin

KBarkman@gov.mb.ca

BlackJack - You could be correct as I wasn`t there. I did however get my info from someone who was. It was his good friend that was killed.

Also LOL@ The Thread Police
    Last edited by elua; 04-11-2002 at 06:56 AM.

My old GDS sifu was a member their right after the Count Dante attack, I know the story, its details, and a bunch more than that, to be honest the story has grown some wings and you see different verisons come up now and then, one of the first ones I heard was a spear, but on further research it was a dagger that he reaced up to get as he was getting beat down on the ground, reaching up, he grabbed the dagger and stabbed the attacker in the stomach who walked out of the temple, staggered down the sidewalk some, and collasped dead.

Think about it this way, why would a chinese fighting society have a japenese katana, more than not even if I am wrong, I would go with the spear weapon before the katana, in terms of what might be next.

Either way some guy got killed during that raid, not only that, but one of the GDS members was blinded when he answered the door to see what the fake cops wanted and the fake cop at the door brought down a baton which brook the chain on the door and raked across the mans eye on the way down.

It was a VERY interesting time in Chicago history.
    Regards

Cool

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "From her I got the impression that Green Dragon was interested in taking anything they could from authentic Kung Fu schools and claiming it under Green Dragon."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Actually, we all do this to some extent or another. As individuals we practice a form that we learn over and over again until it becomes part of us and who we are. Because of our individual personality and body types the forms become expressions of who we are. No two people or groups of people perform a form in the same manner. (Unless you attend a rigid, anally retentive sport type of mcdojo.) I a very real sense the form is ours.
    ~I have heard GD on numerous occasions reference the masters that they learned their forms from.
    ~If you stay in the marital arts long enough and perhaps open your own school then you will be guilty of the same thing that you are accusing them of doing. Not a problem at all.
    ~Many individuals who study martial arts are adverse to sparring. There is a good argument that could be made about how sparring can be detrimental to development of technique. I will not say that I agree with that or disagree with that, but a lot of classical schools do not emphasize the sparring at all. Some offer it as option. Diligent practice of a form with a competent teacher and a good over all training program can make an individual reasonable good in some self defense situations. The major problem with this is that most people are too lazy to put in the requesit work.
    ~Personally, I have learned things and gotten some interesting insights to different aspects of martial arts from Green Dragon videos. Properly used they can make an excellent supplement to any traditional program one would be involved with.
    ~I would like to see more articles by them in the martial media. I think a book on martial arts related topics by Mr Allen would be interesting as well.

Peace,

Sin Loi

yi beng, kan xue

Leimeng

thanks for you insights. I agree tha GD provides great supplementation to any program. John Allen seems knowledgeable in a variety of areas.
    I agree that diligent practice in forms is what a person needs however I add that if by forms Allen means solo work only: I disagree. There needs to be two person work. One cannot gain martial expertise without a partner to work with.

I definatly would like to see more articles in the media as well.

Sifu Allen wrote some articles for the Inside Kung Fu Magazine awhile ago, but stopped because he didn't like writing them, and according to him some people who thought kung fu should just be kept among the Chinese complained to the editor of the magazine about it. Off topic, I think it was the June 1989 issue that Sifu Allen, Marge, Audrey, and Yvette were on the cover of.

We also learn two-man forms (like the white lotus knife set being taught now) but in the beginning levels it's primarily solo work, excepting any contact drills. Speaking for myself, I would be very uncomfortable sparring since I have just started in the school. However, my opinion is that it is good to learn forms and develop good technique before you begin sparring so that moves are more ingrained into your body and you do not have to think about it as much.

Again, I'm just telling you what I hear an interpret from my experiences in the school and the stories I've heard from Sifu Allen and his senior students.

WhtLotus

Im curious on how Sifu Allen teaches applications from the forms?
    Are there 2 person sets to every form? Does he teach 1 move and counter type apps?

They have some really neat stuff.
    I've seen the articles as well. It would be great if Sifu Allen would write more.

Green Dragon Studios Question

Has anyone ever bought video's from him?

He has an add in all the old inside Kung Fu magazines and claims to offer alot of rare Kung Fu videos.

The guys name is Sifu John R Allen.

The Add only has a mailing address, but no phone number. I though that really odd.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a