Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Green Dragon Studios

RD - give me a call, and I'll give you da' scoop.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

I haven't purchased any videos, but someone in my area opened a school based on the videos. I am not very impressed. The black belt I saw was far from awe-inspiring.

But to give them the benefit of the doubt, I rarely see anything that impresses me these days.
    Got Lineage?

Opened a school based on videos ???
    Whoa ! Watch out Richards Simmonds - here I come !

From what I've heard, it seems that the purpose of Green Dragon Studios is to catalog the widest variety of forms available. They have many rare sets. However, I don't think this is how the school works. It's not like every student is made to learn every form or whatever. But, I think cataloging the forms on video is like a side project or something.

That being said, I've heard that the fighters that the school produces are very powerful. I've seen video of some female students breaking concrete blocks, and of Sifu Allen breaking some big ass concrete block(s?).

Their school seems to have become known for being controversial in the 80's or something. Sifu Allen apparently had a column in Inside Kung Fu (I've never read any articles of his tho, unfortunately) and I think his opinion was basically "regardless of what techniques you know, if you lack the physical strength to pull it off the technique is worthless." I've heard their school is very big on strength development, and they have many (or at least many more than most schools) forms and strength sets designed for just this purpose.

Sifu Allen embodies this principle. He is a pretty big guy, and when he's giving lectures (at least on my tapes) he's constantly flexing his muscles and stuff. Not to say that size=strength, but he is a pretty big guy. He's a very forceful speaker, too. Somehow, however, I doubt that he got as big as he is by doing Stone Warrior all day.

Anyway, the 3 tapes of his that I've seen have been very informative and I would recommend them to people who want to see another perspective on Kung Fu. I've seen Stone Warrior, Iron Vest, and Fundamentals of Empty Hand Fighting. I haven't seen any regular forms tapes, tho, so I don't know how they are.

I know some people here either train at his school or have trained at his school, so ask them.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Those guys have a considerable amount of material on tape - but with the exception of the Southern Shaolin which is thier base, most of the tapes I have viewed are devoid of those concepts and training methods that make them what they are. Their Bak Mei (White Eyebrow) tapes are a stunning example of this. It's just NOT Bak Mei, no matter how much they might tell you otherwise. It looks like someone watched film of a Bak Mei guys forms and tried to imitate it.

If they just consider it the 'Green Dragon' version of these sets, I don't really care what they do or say.

I also cannot say that everything they do is without merit - there is some okay material in there I'm sure, but buyer beware.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Ok

Does anyone know how to contact them? Preferably by phone?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Nope his phone number is unlisted. I heard he used to call you to check up on your training but I guess they got too many extended students to do that. I also heard he replies to letters but I wrote him once and didn't get a reply.

IronFist

Question Fe-mon Ong, Green Dragon Studio, Chicoine, Allen...

Can anyone share some information about this teacher, Fe-mon Ong (alternately spelled Fee Mon Ong, Fe Mon Ong, Femon Ong, Frank Ong)? Taught in Ohio, among others, his students numbered John R. Allen of Green Dragon Studios, and Gene Chicoine who later studied under shuai chiao's Chang Tung-sheng (Chang Dung Sheng). Ong is deceased, according to what I have been told. I can find zippity-doo-dah, NOTHING on this man in my archives...one person said he was an immigrant from China, another that he was a student of another Ohio man of Chinese descent named Wu...

What did Ong teach (style), who was his teacher, who were his other students? In the various biographies of Chicoine I have read, he mentions commencing studies of Chinese martial arts in 1959--but never mentions Fe-mon Ong specifically. Why is this?

Any info appreciated, post or email.

Good Days Ahead to You,

M.C. Busman
    mc_busman@Bigmailbox.net

The Wu Guy could be Dr. Fred Wu of Ohio

Here is a link about Dr. Fred Wu
    http://www.clearsilat.com/silat/Biography/DrWu.htm

Check out Sifu Wayne Schulz Site at www.schulzkungfu.comwww.schultzkungfu.com

There is a picture of Master Ong on that page as well as some info.

Master Ong taught an art called Kwan Ying Dao I belive it is a blend of both northern and southern forms but is based on S. 5 Animal. ( I could be wrong).
    Daniel

1976 or 77, Akron Beacon Journal, Akron, Ohio.

Interview with Femon Ong (some say his name in Cantonese is Huang).

Details his history and teachers. Don't have it with me at this time. Forgot where I put it.

Heard a lot about him. His son is suppose to still be teaching in Barberton, Ohio.

There is a post somewhere in here that lays out his history.

Has anyone seen Green Dragon's 6 hr Lecture tapes?

Someone was going to loan them to me a few months back but I forgot who it was. Has anyone seen them? What kind of info is covered? What do they talk about? Are they cool? Are they worth the money? Etc., etc., tell me about them.

IronFist

Bump. Someone has to have seen them. I know there's lurkers here that have seen them. Someone register and reply.

IronFist

lecture tapes?

why not watch paint dry instead?

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Does anyone have the Green Dragon Lecture 2-tape series?

Can I borrow them?

IronFist
    Last edited by IronFist; 08-13-2003 at 11:00 PM.