Page 52 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: Green Dragon Studios

I have yet to see a kung fu school that does not have really well conditioned athletes.
    LOL.

Your just ****ting around with that statement right?

Ok, Ok, you got me!

Although all the CMA schools I have been in were big on conditioning. I have been in several branches of Master Tsai's system from his old school at Harlem Irving, to the late Master Steven Abatte's school in River Grove to a branch school of Iron Fist, and all were really big on conditioning.

So when you really add it up, pretty much all the CMA schools I have actually been involved in to any extent were all big on conditioning.

I can only judge based on what I've seen:

A Bak Mei tape that looks nothing like Bak Mei, no Bak Mei principles, kinda stupid applications.

A Baji tape that, well wasn't Baji.

A Shuai Chiao tape that pretty much s@cked - but that may have been because it was dumbed down as an 'intro' for the general public. It seemed to me like it s@cked by choice But I could be wrong based on the other tapes.

Some other stuff that looked like some kind of nanquan - that was fun to watch.

The 'rave out' tape where John Allen 'tells it like it is' - and what he has that is good to say is lost by his pounding the table and raving out. I play that one at parties along with the Guy Savelli 'I can turn into a tiger' tape. But you have to be drunk to enjoy them.

I give them props for hardcore conditioning. I think they are misrepresenting themselves with a lot of the tapes - they look like they copied forms without knowing the methods - kind of like Shaolin Do.

Not my cup of tea, but they are not entirely without merit from what I've seen, they just have to get honest on what they really have to offer.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

One of the Tai Tzu people I used to have contact with also did Bagua. Actually he was a Bagua guy who also did Tai Tzu. Anyway he has told me on several occasions that Green Dragon filmed him doing a Bagua set at a tournament and them learned the set..intentional marks, erros and left out moves and all...filmed themselves doing the sets and sold the tapes.

I play that one at parties along with the Guy Savelli 'I can turn into a tiger' tape.
    Tell me that is not the single greatest thing EVER.

The odd thing is, I met some people who have some skill, and they said they once met him in person and the guy seems to be able to handle himself.....must be the D&D lycanthrope abilities

i've heard the same thing. they have even said he's a great guy in person too. just he believes that he can kill goats from a distance.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

So the entire Green Dragon Studios Iron Vest program is on youtube

I was just searching youtube and I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgsKYLfabv4

The rest of the parts are linked from that one. Or you can click these:

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqgT4...eature=related

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYLHo...eature=related

Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vUWPPUJeY0 (this one isn't on the related search sometimes)

I remember when I got this form on VHS way back in the day. I never actually did the form, however.

edit - all these exercises are done for "exactly one minute." How did the ancient kung fu masters keep track of exactly one minute?

Supposedly after 100 days this makes you immune to taking damage in the area around your dan tien and after a year or 3 years or something you cannot be injured by strikes to your torso, and after a while longer it's your whole body.

...and it cuts off right after he says you must eat something afterward. I think on the tape he says to eat a few crackers or something. I can't remember. But I've never heard of any qigong requiring you to eat immediately afterward
    Last edited by IronFist; 04-17-2008 at 09:42 PM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

That is the man himself, GM Chicoine.
    A lot more to IV than is shown, if you are interested in the complete IV program, you can contact Dale Dugas, its the same IV exercises but he also can supply you with the right herbs and such.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That is the man himself, GM Chicoine.
    A lot more to IV than is shown, if you are interested in the complete IV program, you can contact Dale Dugas, its the same IV exercises but he also can supply you with the right herbs and such.
    What's this guy's lineage Sanjuro?

I couldn't even watch the whole thing.

Although the 4th one was more interesting to me. Looks like Choy Lay Fut Qi Gongs, of some sort, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    What's this guy's lineage Sanjuro?
    Dale's?
    Goes back to GM Chicoine.
    GM Chicone is Shuai Chiao
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Interesting, but definitely not everything in the IV training that is there.

The Horse stance used is big square horse, so he is basically walking through it and just showing basic shape of some gongs.

Full intensity isn't present although he does mention it.

There was a lot there that I wasn't familiar with and some that I was.

Good find, I imagine they will have it taken down for copyright infringement now. lol

p.s nothing will make you "immune" to anything. I mean, other than vaccinations against vruses. However, this will build on your ability to absorb and shrug off incoming forces.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I have to chime in on this thread.

I have seen this set many times, I have also seen that it was put on youtube as well. I never learned Iron Vest from the video, I was taught personally. There is more to it than what is shown, but to make a quick comment on what benefits one can receive from this training.

It is true that the exterior will harden, but this can also happen from doing crunches, push ups, and other well known exercises. The real benefit from Iron Vest training, is what you do for your interior.

Here is a article (hopefully not viewed as a shameless plug) that might shed some more light on what I'm getting at as far as Iron Vest training;

http://www.noweightsworkout.com/arti...nditioning.php

I hope this helps,

Steve

sorry for any typos and lack of capitalization; i'm posting from my blackjack.

1. how will doing IV exercises, which are soft in nature (not requiring much tension) protect u from strikes the same way crunches will?

2. if IV protects u so well, how come professional fighters dont do this kind of training?

i'm just wonderng. i bought both the stone warrior and the iron vest tapes back in the day.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

incidentally, they're

back online