Page 7 of 58 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Green Dragon Studios

Sifu Allen does not have a web site. I wish he did. I own many of his tapes and would like to spend time with him.

jimbob.. the only green dragon website i have seen is a seven star mantis headquarters.

Originally posted by Dark Knight
    Sifu Allen does not have a web site. I wish he did. I own many of his tapes and would like to spend time with him.
    What tapes you do have? I've seen Stone Warrior, Iron Vest, and Fundamentals of Empty Hand Fighting.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Hi guys, I was misinformed about the videotape business. I just had it clarified to me that they do indeed still run it. Ads are run monthly in Inside Kungfu magazine.

For some reason I was under the impression that it was a thing of the past. So order away.

Dude can you get us a discount on the tapes?

j/k, don't ask if it will get you in trouble.

IronFist

No wait, but I do have a serious question.

Ask Sifu Allen why Stone Warrior is not performed symmetrically. On the tape I ordered from him, some of the movements are done only to one side. Training in this manner will create lopsidedness and imbalanced muscles.

For example, the first movement is symmetrical, but the second one, on the tape, goes like this (I might not be quite right, I haven't seen or done it in a few years):

Bow stance with left foot in front, facing forward. Hands at waist in fists. Swing the right arm back, up, and diagonally down in front of your body till your right fist is by your left fist at your waist, then bring it back up in a figure 8 pattern up by your left shoulder and across your face. About this time the left hand comes up to the side, crosses your face, and does a down palm block by the stomach. By this time the right hand is passing the right side of the waist and opens into a palm which is brought back around and into a forward palm strike over the left downward palm block.

Ok, that will make sense to you if you know the form. Anyway, on the video he makes no mention of doing that the opposite way (ie. right bow stance, left hand starts and left hand ends in a palm strike). That makes no sense to me.

Of course, when I did Stone Warrior, everything that wasn't the same on both sides I did half on one side and half on the other side. So for the above movement I did the first half as described, and then reversed everything for the second half. Obviously, it makes no sense to train different things on different sides. I wanted no lopsidedness in either my size OR my strength, so I did everything evenly. I'm just curious why he didn't mention that on the tape. Or, if you're not supposed to do it to both sides, what the rationale behind that is.

Anyway, ask him for me if that's the right way.

I wrote him a letter 4 or 5 years ago asking that same question but never heard back from him.

Alright, later.

IronFist
    Last edited by IronFist; 09-02-2003 at 10:44 PM.

What tapes you do have? I've seen Stone Warrior, Iron Vest, and Fundamentals of Empty Hand Fighting
    Stone warrior, Three sectional, single double edged knife, fundamentals, snake form, drunken form, butterfly knives, and a couple others I forget at this moment.

Nah, I don't think I could get a discount even for myself. Also, current students are only allowed to buy tapes for material they already have.

As for your Stone Warrior question, I do not have the set yet myself, so I would not feel comfortable asking such a question out of the blue. (If I had the set, I would probably answer your question myself).

You could try writing him another letter.

Ohio Green Dragon/Stone Warrior

Stone Warrior is done on both sides,that's very clear from the tape, probably why there was no reply. It's a great school as are other off-shoots from Feeman Ong. There's an interesting info on this board in the Northern Shaolin In Seattle in another part of this forum. John Eusibio and others look great as is the info on Kao Tao Shung; Shao Fu Yin and Chung Fu Yin are great forms, at some point I'd like to learn another Shantung Shaolin style form.

^ Maybe it's clear on your tape. They do reshoot the tapes every so often. Maybe you and I have different versions. Does he do the second movement on both sides on yours?

IronFist

WhtLotus, check your private messages box

ok?

Green Dragon/Ohio

Hey
    I remember that Sifu Allen used to sell special herbs that were an integral part of some of their training/exercise sets such as the body exercise, stone warrior, the nine times, iron palm. Then the herbs were not available. Are they available now?

Yes. But its not so easy to get them anymore...
    First you must walk very far. Very very far as a matter of fact, into some dark woods. There you must live for a period of no less than 3 months, and after that time you must kill a bear with your hands. After completing the above task, you must swim to the bottom of the ocean and root a mermaid. When you have raised your mer-baby to be the strongest of them all, you can climb mt. fuji. Atop mt. fuji you will find a cave with an elderly man. If you defeat this elderly man with a fork and set of scrabble letters you may speak to the apothecary who carries the aforementioned herbs.
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

LOL
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

That's obviously not true. You can't root a mermaid - she ain't got no... you know.

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching