Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Katana

Katana

this may be the wrong venue to ask but I have the rare opportunity to learn cutting and drawing from Sensei Kimura, a modern day samurai, and he expects me to own a live blade. I was wondering what you all would recomend?

I was looking at Paul chen's blades
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    this may be the wrong venue to ask but I have the rare opportunity to learn cutting and drawing from Sensei Kimura, a modern day samurai, and he expects me to own a live blade. I was wondering what you all would recomend?

I was looking at Paul chen's blades
    Paul's practical katana is a good choice for any beginner and affordable too.
    I think MartialMart has one too...

http://www.martialartsmart.com/35-1070.html
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

thanks sanjuro I was looking for a little better line then the chepies like in the 1000 catagory and probably the mantis (how perfect is that) then I looked on bunkai site but again but wasnt sure if I could even get a good one for that cheap. Kimura's wanted me to but one of his LOL they start at 5K and go up to 20K

I was wondering about differnt metals, carbon percentages, folded vs forged etc etc. I was hopeing to get some really good direction from some sword lovers and affectionados but their hard to find.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

There are no "modern day Samurai," and it is not usual nor does it make sense to start learning iaido with a live blade.

For that matter, it wouldn't be correct to say "Sensei Kimura."

For that matter, isn't the guy you are talking about dead?
    Last edited by Kansuke; 08-12-2011 at 08:10 AM.

thanks sanjuro I was looking for a little better line then the chepies like in the 1000 catagory and probably the mantis (how perfect is that) then I looked on bunkai site but again but wasnt sure if I could even get a good one for that cheap. Kimura's wanted me to but one of his LOL they start at 5K and go up to 20K

I was wondering about differnt metals, carbon percentages, folded vs forged etc etc. I was hopeing to get some really good direction from some sword lovers and affectionados but their hard to find.
    For a beginner, any decent blade is good enough, considering the mess that will be done to it, LOL !

if you are a tall guy you may want to get an extended hilt/tsuka, if you are looking at paul chen's line, check the practical plus.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

There are no "modern day Samurai," and it is not usual nor does it make sense to start learning iaido with a live blade.
    agreed however this is not an iaido class, it is a cutting class taught to me and another shifu not for the public, hence you need a live blade. and yes he is a samurai 15th generation in every way shape and form. google him. Hiroaki Kimura

For that matter, it wouldn't be correct to say "Sensei Kimura."
    he is a shorinji kenpo teacher (sensei) for the last 30 years in the US and Japan he is IMHO by far more of the sensei than most of the karate teachers alive in America.

Lucas,
    I have heard this are the standard size too small? 14 inch lets say? I am tall guy with long arms but I wasnt sure of the importance of the longer handle and he makes limited amount of them. Do you know of any other sword makers in the US that are comparable? or am I buying a cheap piece of crap with only spending a 1000 or so?
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

I think he means that it is "Kimura Sensei", not the other way around.

I don't know anything about cutting but what do you guys (sanjuro, lucas) think about Bugei Trading Co steel?

What about Obata Toshishiro's Shinkendo?

a yes he is a samurai 15th generation in every way shape and form.

No, he is not. The Samurai class was abolished during the Meiji reforms.

he is a shorinji kenpo teacher (sensei) for the last 30 years in the US and Japan he is IMHO by far more of the sensei than most of the karate teachers alive in America.

What I meant is that "sensei" would come after the name, not before.

Is Kimura not the kind of guy you'd feel comfortable asking? because that would be my first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I think he means that it is "Kimura Sensei", not the other way around.

There ya go!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    I don't know anything about cutting but what do you guys (sanjuro, lucas) think about Bugei Trading Co steel?

What about Obata Toshishiro's Shinkendo?
    Every time I see Obata the only thing I can think about is his scene in Ninja Turtles. "NINJA! ATTACK!"
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Every time I see Obata the only thing I can think about is his scene in Ninja Turtles. "NINJA! ATTACK!"