Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
Our modern process can give as much better blades then those of the past.
This is true but no one is really doing that. There's no market for it. The cost of manufacturing a sword this way is prohibitively high and in the end, high-end sword buyers will opt for sword crafted by a reputable artisan. There are a few craftsmen exploring this, mostly in the knife making circles, but given the market, it's easier to go traditional here. Of course, there's always Big Giant Swords...

We could build a machine to mass produce top quality swords, but it would never pay for itself. The market just isn't that big for swords nowadays. This is in regards to all sword manufacturing - Japanese, Chinese and European. I've been selling swords as part of my living since the late 80s and people are always asking why there aren't sword making machines. I usually say 'there could be, but you aren't going to pay for it.'

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
Yes. Frankly the katana is a rather inferior sword. I'm sure that will get a lot of flames.
Almost bit at that, but won't.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
You ever wonder why Chinese sword techniques devised around the height of Japanese imperialism focused so much on attacking the hand?
All sword schools focus on attacking the hand. In Kendo, the kote is primary target. Same is true for Western Saber and Epee. Even in Escrima espada y daga, hand attacks are emphasized.