Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Katana

I used a gunto when I did battojitsu

I had this beaten up gunto, just the blade and a fragment of the scabbard, something I acquired from a fencing student as a trade for lessons and a foil blade. It was standard military issue, nothing at all fancy, but sharp and hardened. My battojitsu sensei found parts to assemble it into a functional blade for iai and battojitsu. The scabbard throat is a little funky, but it is balanced and totally works. And as it's not that superior of a blade, I have no qualms about doing yardwork with it in lieu of more formal practice. You might be able to find a gunto at a local gun show, however the prices there will probably be inflated.

That being said, if you aren't into gunto blades, I agree with SR
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Paul's practical katana is a good choice for any beginner and affordable too.
    I think MartialMart has one too...

http://www.martialartsmart.com/35-1070.html
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I had this beaten up gunto, just the blade and a fragment of the scabbard, something I acquired from a fencing student as a trade for lessons and a foil blade. It was standard military issue, nothing at all fancy, but sharp and hardened. My battojitsu sensei found parts to assemble it into a functional blade for iai and battojitsu. The scabbard throat is a little funky, but it is balanced and totally works. And as it's not that superior of a blade, I have no qualms about doing yardwork with it in lieu of more formal practice. You might be able to find a gunto at a local gun show, however the prices there will probably be inflated.

That being said, if you aren't into gunto blades, I agree with SR
    I have two. (shin gunto)

Unfortunately 1 is a piece of crap replica and the other is in sad shape. need some stuff for em.

I also have a ridiculous snake skin scabbard and pewter cobrahead katana.
    It's hilarious. It was given to me. I did NOT buy it, I repeat, I did NOT buy it. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Speaking of tameshigiri...

Enter to win THE SPIRIT OF THE SWORD by Nakamura Taisaburo! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 06/27/13. Good luck everyone!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I entered I hope I win. I may have made a slight comment about you and something to do with nacho cheese in my entry application. It's very minor though.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Our sweepstakes winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Darn you Gene Ching and your insidious plot to make me lose the sweepstake.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

You can't win them all...

We had a high response for this one because it was a double sweepstakes and the other prize was really good. I think there was some coattailing for this one. Better luck next time.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I don't need luck. What I need is a gaggle of nacho ninjettes to break into the office and altar the results so that I am the winner.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    ebaY? and the search: Mantis katana.

This for mantis if your sword has a different spirit. Bond with your blade before class--a purification. thousand imagined draws cuts an returns or one thousand imagined cuts from jodan blade tip never below your ears [Squirrel bokken thinking from a brown softcover book picturing a student of Yagushinkage. Or cuts with sword sheathed...but before lessons start.

Mantis Design blocker thing
    Congratulations on the opportunity.

No_Know
    Last edited by No_Know; 07-24-2013 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Link
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Samurai gone Fruit Ninja

...and the new Shogun is Pillsbury. Man, what a swordsman needs to do to keep a job nowadays...

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

At last! Making some real money without lifting heads. Yummy Toaster Strudels!

Aikuchi

aikuchi - Concept Movie
    from WOW inc PRO 1 year ago Not Yet Rated

About the Work
    The art of Japanese sword making - bringing a greater sense of “beauty” to the world.
    The art of Japanese sword making, has a history dating back more than 1000 years, and is considered the height of traditional Japanese craftsmanship. Not only the blade itself, but the entire piece including all the decorative sword fittings, is a work of art and is now drawing much attention from a legion of dedicated fans and art collectors the world over. But how could we add a more global perspective and bring a new look to an art piece that is the absolute pride of Japanese culture? With this goal in mind, we invited the world famous designer; Marc Newson to join the project. Working tirelessly together through much trial and error, we eventually were able to accomplish our mission and complete aikuchi to perfection at last. “Aikuchi” does not incorporate a “lower guard” into its design, and is therefore considered by some people to be more of a “lucky charm” than a weapon. The name aikuchi was chosen for this project to highlight the tight coupling between the sword, handle and scabbard, and also to draw attention to the fusion of two different cultures.
    aikuchi is the first product which WOW has produced completely and comprehensively from initial conceptual design to finished product.
    ▶ aikuchi official website
    w0w.co.jp/aikuchi/index.html
    This is a year old but just came to my attention. It's spectacular.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I have a question for those that may understand metallurgy. Can we make better katana blades today than they could 1000 years ago? Or at the peak of their ability to forge?

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    I have a question for those that may understand metallurgy. Can we make better katana blades today than they could 1000 years ago? Or at the peak of their ability to forge?
    The answer is yes.
    Our modern process can give as much better blades then those of the past.
    That said, a work of art is a work of art.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Yes. Frankly the katana is a rather inferior sword. I'm sure that will get a lot of flames. It's just a 2 handed sabre with crap blade length and point so thick it wouldn't pierce but the most basic of armaments and a jacked blade weight. A British Cavalry sabre has the same weight, longer blade and can be wielded with one hand. The Europeans were heat welding high carbon edges to low carbon bodies long before the Japanese. The Chinese were as well for that matter. The Japanese only stuck with it because steel was a rare commodity due to crappy natural resources and isolated trade environment.

Edit: Oh and that total lack of hand protection. You ever wonder why Chinese sword techniques devised around the height of Japanese imperialism focused so much on attacking the hand?
    Last edited by SoCo KungFu; 03-27-2015 at 08:37 AM.