Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Western or Shoalin

Martial Joe Guest

Western or Shoalin

Wich is better for you body,western things like boxing or the things they do in the shoalin temple like the iron body and stuff?

Joe :cool:

whitelion Guest

I don't think it matters

I don't think it matters which one. It depends on which philosophy you subscribe to - Eastern theory or Western.

Ultimately they both achieve the same thing so it really is up to which you prefer.

------------------------------------
    Talk softly and carry a big stick.

Martial Joe Guest
    i think the shaolin is way more inneresting

whitelion Guest

Have to agree

I'd have to agree with you there. I think iron shirt training is much more interesting than the conditioning exercises that boxers use.

Martial Joe Guest
    I think poeple are more drawn to the Shoalin because of their "odd" exercises,**** i think they are kool.I realy like when they hang them selves from that big tree and to their kung fu forms hanging...it is pretty neat!

Joe

whitelion Guest

Tradition

I also think that the tradition also attracts people, and the different way of thinking. Some are fascinated by what is different (unfortunately many are scared by it).

How long have you trained in Wing Chun?

Love your picture BTW :)

Martial Joe Guest
    Umm i would say 4.5-5 months...Why do i talk to much for not being 20 years exerienced?

Joe :cool:

neptunesfall Guest
    n shaolin training is better. these exercises can be done anywhere with out special equipment. in my opinion, they are also of more benefit to a whole person, physically, mentally and spiritually.
    yoga and shaolin training - both fall under isometric and moving isometric categories - are proven to give a lighter more durable type of muscle then weightlifting, the preferred training of most western boxers.

[This message was edited by neptunesfall on 02-21-01 at 07:06 PM.]

whitelion Guest

Talk too much?

No, just curious.

This is a forum on kung fu, you can talk as much as you want :).

Martial Joe Guest
    Well i dont know if you read my post on the KF forum and th WC forum..i seem to have big mouth...i want to take up iron body..can you guys give some realy good info on it?!?

Joe

whitelion Guest
    Haven't read any of your other replies, but I will try not to judge you on that :). I think as long as you genuinely want to find out more about kung fu, then you have a right ot post and ask questions.

I personally don't actually know much about iron shirt training. I haven't ever had the opportunity to learn the art itself, but many styles incorporate iron shirt into their basic style.

For example, I train in Wu Chu Chuan. While there is no obvious iron shirt training going on, I have been told that many of the forms we practise help to develop iron shirt.

Probably doesn't help you much. Sorry :).

Martial Joe Guest
    Wll thanks,,,but if anyone knows of any things i could do at home to conditon parts of my body(without the fear of arthris!!!) please tell me!

BIU JI Guest

Iron Body

I dunno about iron body, heard some stories about internal injuries as a result. Of those who practise it have you had any problems?

TigerFork Guest
    i know many won't agree, but i think most forms of iron body etc. training have some form of QiGong associated , which is important to do so the body is strong enough to cope with the training.
    for example i do some iron palm training , and always do some simple QiGong first, and after.also use the appropriate Dit Da etc.

Martial Joe Guest
    Biu Ji...if your asking if i have any problems i dont because i dont do this stuff.But i would like to learne it.But do me a favor guys and try to ask around about it.Who knows maybe you will chek it out yourself.

Joe