Thread: Permission?

Hybrid View

Permission?

I didn't want to get off topic from ginosifu's thread but his first paragraph got me thinking. I have always wondered why is there this mentality that you need permission to train with other Sifu's. If you say, it's the old school, then i say what about those who learned from various sifu's, ie: CTS as LKFMCDCANDMF has made it known more than once.

Is this simply another thing used to keep the student from seeing what others do with the fear of them having something better? or that these sifu's don't know what they are doing thus wouldn't want to be exposed?

Please help me understand........

Blog Entries
    You can learn from any teacher that you want. Your teacher can also stop teaching you whenever he wants. If your wife finds out that you are messing with another women, she will divorce you. It's just that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You can learn from any teacher that you want. Your teacher can also stop teaching you whenever he wants. If your wife finds out that you are messing with another women, she will divorce you. It's just that simple.
    Chang Dung Sheng was married to his Shuai Jiao teacher's daughter wasn't he? YET he still learned other stuff with other people
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Chang Dung Sheng was married to his Shuai Jiao teacher's daughter wasn't he? YET he still learned other stuff with other people
    If I remember correctly he hooked up with a Monk and learned some Shaolin and then learned Tai Chi from some general?? I forgot the whole story

ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post

I was told that Chang's Shuai Chiao teacher ENCOURAGED him to learn from other teachers.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

the plot thickens!
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Blog Entries
    through my personal experience, its generally looked down upon within the old community to jump from teacher to teacher. based on conversations with some on this subject, their opinions were its fine if you want to jump from school to school. i just won't get too deep into teaching a person like that. there is a line of respect they hold for those who stayed with their teacher till the end.

with as much cross training thats taking place now, kung fu has to realize this as a fact of life at this time and just hope for the student who wants all the teacher has to teach.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

It is a courtesy to let your teacher know that you will learning from other teacher.

A lot of times, teachers set up the exchange learning of the students. Your teacher recommend you to another teacher.

There were also exchange of hands first. The loser learned from the winner. Such as dong hai chuan in ba gua zhang.

There were also students exchange of stuffs. Teach you A in exchange of learning B from you.

Such as tai chi xing yi and ba gua mingle together.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    I was told that Chang's Shuai Chiao teacher ENCOURAGED him to learn from other teachers.
    If your wife gives you the permission to mess around with other women, you are a lucky man.

In the movie "Little Big Man" that after Dustin Hoffman had sex with his wife's three widowed sisters, he was so tired that he could barely crawl back to his bed.

At 12.29.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4p...970_shortfilms
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-15-2011 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If your wife gives you the permission to mess around with other women, you are a lucky man.

In the movie "Little Big Man" that after Dustin Hoffman had sex with his wife's three widowed sisters, he was so tired that he could barely crawl back to his bed.

At 12.29.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4p...970_shortfilms

Yes...sometimes I am THAT lucky!!

I really should be more thankful for my wife, her redhead sister, and my training.

....cue sanjuro with a pic
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Coaches like to have their turned out product to be untainted.

In all sports endeavours, coaches prefer if you stay with them and get their stuff before going out and mixing and matching.

It is NOT just sifu that do this.

Crikey, ballet coaches do this, floor gymnastic coaches do this, fencing coaches do it, boxing coaches etc etc.

IN team sports? not such a big deal because each player is a cog, but in individual competition, it is difficult to coach someone who brings back material alien to the curriculum or that turns a positive into a negative by developing a bad habit somewhere else etc etc.

Hence, permission. It's not usually denied unless it is ill advised to train elsewhere.
    Besides, it is also respectful and there is nothing wrong with showing respect to your teacher, ever.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    I didn't want to get off topic from ginosifu's thread but his first paragraph got me thinking. I have always wondered why is there this mentality that you need permission to train with other Sifu's. If you say, it's the old school, then i say what about those who learned from various sifu's, ie: CTS as LKFMCDCANDMF has made it known more than once.

Is this simply another thing used to keep the student from seeing what others do with the fear of them having something better? or that these sifu's don't know what they are doing thus wouldn't want to be exposed?

I have trained with multiple Sifu's and I see your point. There are some old school rules of etiquette that most of us modern people just don't understand. Mainly this is a Chinese pride / losing face kinda thing. If you lose face in Asian culture you might as well cut your intestines out right then and there. Chinese people would rather die than lose face of you going to another Sifu. This means that he is not a good Sifu in the publics eye and no one will come to him in the future for training.

modern people are not quite as prideful but it still exists.

ginosifu

Permission

Brule , example you ' re learning from a sifu now , and you ' re asking your current sifu now , if you can train with other sifus too , he might accept it or he might not accept it at all .

Because if you train with other sifus without permission from your current sifu then , it ' s like the sifu you ' re training with now , is stealing you as a student from your current sifu , that ' s why . I went through this too in Hawaii where I ' m
    from . But it ' s up to the sifu you ' re training with now . So that ' s why to learn from other sifus in general you might have to quit the learning from the sifu
    you ' re currently from now , to learn from other sifus in general .

Because without permission from your current sifu , then he might have a talk with the other sifu you ' re from too . So it ' s just plain martial arts ettiquecy for you as a student too . And yes , the sifus will think that way too towards you as a student , that the other sifu you want to train under is better than your current sifu you were learning from before . If you understand what I mean .

In other words it ' s like you ' re currently dating a girl now , and without asking you to break up with her , she goes her on way into going out with another guy , and you happen to see it happening and you get upset and you confront the girl and the guy she ' s going out with . You ' ll think that the girl the girl who did things behind your back went with this guy because he ' s better than you .
    The same way the sifus would think .

So the best thing to do is learn all you can from your current sifu first depend on what style of kung fu you ' re learning , some styles of kung fu have a certain number of sets you need to learn to get ahead . But learn all the priority things first , before you end up quiting the training under your current sifu first . Then from there , you can learn something new with your new sifu . This is just my own opinion towards your topic thread . But make sure that you keep on practicing what you really learned from your current sifu , as you go on learning new materials from your next sifu in general .

My Xingyi teacher encourages me to learn from whoever as does my Muay Thai kru.

On the other hand, I was politely "dis-invited" from training with a dojo/dojang (who I had been with since I was 10 years old) simply for working out with Mixed Martial Artists and owning (Un)Caged Fighter.

I think it boils down to how how securely you feel about your own teachings whether or not you care if students learn elsewhere.

Train Hard,
    Josh Skinner