Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Permission?

This is so ridicules it is like the pot calling the kettle black. Didn’t Chan Heung (陳享), had three shifus, Jow Lung (周龍) had three shifus, and didn’t Wong Fei-hung (黃飛鴻) have at least three shifus too? Therefore, why is it wrong to have more then one shifu?

Unless you can explain the circumstances behind them learning from multiple teachers, it doesn't mean anything.

Usually there's a story there. Most importantly: did any of those people train from 3 shifu's at the same time? I doubt it. THAT's what's taboo. If you have "graduated" from a teacher you are free to learn new stuff. Also, often the other teachers are friends or acquaintences of the first. When that's the case, yes, permission is usually given. Sometimes, like in my case, massive geographical relocation makes learning from someone new a no brainer. In other cases, sufficiently high social status frees you from certain rules.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    I was told that Chang's Shuai Chiao teacher ENCOURAGED him to learn from other teachers.
    If your wife gives you the permission to mess around with other women, you are a lucky man.

In the movie "Little Big Man" that after Dustin Hoffman had sex with his wife's three widowed sisters, he was so tired that he could barely crawl back to his bed.

At 12.29.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4p...970_shortfilms
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-15-2011 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If your wife gives you the permission to mess around with other women, you are a lucky man.

In the movie "Little Big Man" that after Dustin Hoffman had sex with his wife's three widowed sisters, he was so tired that he could barely crawl back to his bed.

At 12.29.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4p...970_shortfilms

Yes...sometimes I am THAT lucky!!

I really should be more thankful for my wife, her redhead sister, and my training.

....cue sanjuro with a pic
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

I really should be more thankful for my wife, her redhead sister, and my training.

....cue a pic
    this one

Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Weak minded fools who follow the barking orders of a conceived master are the only ones who would not train elsewhere because of the orders of their teacher. Most here live in the US or Canada, most of you are not even Chinese, yet you hold onto these false conceptions of a culture that you are not even a part of!!

I guess it's just like religion, for years a tired and idiotic dogma controls weak minded people into doing whatever they want them to do. Why the hell would they change it!
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Mulong View Post
    Actually some were so funny, because they actually thought they were “The Man,” and then concede to our training.

Jamieson, not certain where you exactly trained, but in the major cities it’s about the money. However, the elders had a way around it, by asking you to bring a letter from prior shifu giving you so-called permission to train with someone else; however, at the end it was so ridicules that after a while shifu didn’t care; want counted was the cash.
    I've trained in major cities across Canada.

Don't get me wrong, I've encountered the face game. I think it's stupid and reject it out of hand.

If nothing else, the rising spotlight on competitive martial arts and the real bloodsport show that it is on tv is changing everything about martial arts training and instruction. That's gonna KILL the face game and it's gonna rub out all the useless stuff in practical application martial arts.

there is still plenty of room for traditional training, but it is gonna have to step up to meet those needs of students who want to actually compete, ergo adding the san da component to the club regimen is key for those few students that will want to do that.

Having forms and classical instruction is key for those students who do not wish to compete, but do want to learn kung fu for personal reasons.

the more you can speak to, the better off you are as a teacher and as a business.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I've trained in major cities across Canada.
    there are "major cities" in that place called Canada?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gaffigan
    The reason that Alaska isn't part of Canada is that they went up there, saw eskimos eating whale blubber, and assumed the Americans had beat them there.
    Jim Gaffigan knows kung fu.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    this one

I tried to think of a witty reply, but all the blood has gone to my ween!

....for some strange reason, I want to feed them.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

I am worrying about tires of the truck or pickup having enought pressure.

poor truck.

you learn from every where

you learn from your classmates

you learn from your teacher

or teachers.

you learn from your mistakes

---

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    there are "major cities" in that place called Canada?
    When they let you cross the border after you get that "thing" cleared up, come check us out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...reas_in_Canada

we have a few, yes.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Hurry up, because women like that do not live for too long....

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    Weak minded fools who follow the barking orders of a conceived master are the only ones who would not train elsewhere because of the orders of their teacher.
    I believe that you are making too many assumptions about "fools" who "follow the barking orders".

First of all, there is a question of etiquette. A person who is considering training with another sifu, should at least pass it by his own sifu.

Secondly. People can't just run along and train or cross train in anything they wish. Presumably if you are training a TCMA, you are doing so with an expert. It is always good to ask their opinion about what you intend to train in, because there are cases where people seek to train in another style that has contradictory principles and concepts to the style they are currently training. So, if they have not got their core style into their "veins", then such cross training can result in the unnecessarily hindering of their progress.

Of course, this is no problem for people who are ignorant of a given TCMA style's body unity, rooting, etc. principles to start with, and are happy to treat any "kung fu" training as a type of glorified kickboxing.

Most here live in the US or Canada, most of you are not even Chinese, yet you hold onto these false conceptions of a culture that you are not even a part of!!
    It is never too late to learn manners!

I guess it's just like religion, for years a tired and idiotic dogma controls weak minded people into doing whatever they want them to do. Why the hell would they change it!
    You are making a huge assumption. You can't just run along and cross train in anything you wish if you are practicing a given TCMA style. Asking your sifu, may even result in him recommending you to cross train one style, as opposed to another, as that style will be complimentary to the core style you are training with him.

Moral of the story is that etiquette can be beneficial to personal evolution.
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 08-17-2011 at 12:12 AM.