Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: History Question for Joy

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ------------------------------------------------------------- Are we sure that there was nota bong sao moe
    who started it all after chi sao with Larry and Curly?

joy
    No. Absolutely not. Historical references point to the following:

Mun Sau Moe
    Lap Sau Larry

and the infamous

Chi Sau Curly who introduced the practice of chi sau into modern training after amazing insight following his debilitating stroke in 1946. He passed this information secretly down to his successor Curly Joe DeRita who cemented into oral and video tradition in the 1950's.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post

Mun Sau Moe
    Lap Sau Larry

and the infamous

Chi Sau Curly who introduced the practice of chi sau into modern training after amazing insight following his debilitating stroke in 1946. He passed this information secretly down to his successor Curly Joe DeRita who cemented into oral and video tradition in the 1950's.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wow- you have the history pegged!

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post

Mun Sau Moe
    Lap Sau Larry

and the infamous

Legend has it that Mun Sao Moe was deadly with his Cream Pie technique, leaving opponents faces totally obscured after its application. Some sifus relate that this is the origin of the tan sao, which translates roughly as "Pie Pan Carrying Hand"

Tan Sao Ng was actually Ng Mui. He was a monk and he was a begger. However, his Wing Chun system was built around the Tan Sao concept. He did other things, but this was the emphisis of his Wing Chun. Thus, Tan Sao Ng. I believe he was the first Chunner. I believe that Wing Chun of today came directly from his Tan Sao concept of fighting. Yim Wing Chun and all the others I would not speculate on. I think his system became much improved upon by the acrobats of the Red Boat Opra. Lots of secret societies adopted the fighting system, and this is how my father became involved with it. It was not in it's entirety, and it has picked up things hear and there that actually did improve upon it's efficiency. I think that Tan Sao being a woman might have just been speculation due to the nature of the system in and of itself.

That is my story, and I am sticking to it. Actually, I was told this about 55 years ago.
    Jackie Lee

I have not seen a "history" of wing chun that would pass peer review standards of scholarship.
    Nail on the head.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Joy,

Just as an aside, I saw that one of your fields is American Indian studies and I noticed that your avatar is a gun stock club.

Is there a link you can give me to learn some info about the history and usage of that weapon? I've always been curious about it.

Thanks.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Gun stock clubs appeared frequently among Nprthern Plains tribes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Tan Sao Ng was actually Ng Mui. He was a monk and he was a begger. However, his Wing Chun system was built around the Tan Sao concept. He did other things, but this was the emphisis of his Wing Chun. Thus, Tan Sao Ng. I believe he was the first Chunner. I believe that Wing Chun of today came directly from his Tan Sao concept of fighting. Yim Wing Chun and all the others I would not speculate on. I think his system became much improved upon by the acrobats of the Red Boat Opra. Lots of secret societies adopted the fighting system, and this is how my father became involved with it. It was not in it's entirety, and it has picked up things hear and there that actually did improve upon it's efficiency. I think that Tan Sao being a woman might have just been speculation due to the nature of the system in and of itself.

That is my story, and I am sticking to it. Actually, I was told this about 55 years ago.
    Interesting and thanks for sharing!
    Here is some feedback from a recent workshop regarding our understanding of Tan Sao Ng based on Hung Fa Yi's history regarding his connections to WCK, as well as his involvment in both the Red Boat Society (and thru Wong Wah Bo) and Boxer Society (and thru Hung Gun Biu):

http://hfy108.com/forums/showthread....0819#post20819

http://hfy108.com/forums/showthread....0792#post20792
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 01-17-2012 at 04:37 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Interesting and thanks for sharing!
    Here is some feedback from a recent workshop regarding our understanding of Tan Sao Ng based on Hung Fa Yi's history regarding his connections to WCK, as well as his involvment in both the Red Boat Society (and thru Wong Wah Bo) and Boxer Society (and thru Hung Gun Biu):

http://hfy108.com/forums/showthread....0819#post20819

http://hfy108.com/forums/showthread....0792#post20792
    The lineage of which my own wing chun comes from is called Hung Fa, and is said to be descended from Hung Gun. My dad always just called it Hung Fa Wing Chun. I had no idea that there were so many different lineages of Wing Chun in the world until I found this forum while looking at the Kung Fu magazine site some time back. I thought that mine was of the only lineage.
    Jackie Lee

Yeah, I remember being quite suprised to hear this information when you first started posting here - very cool! Curious, do you know where and from whom your father learned his WC from? (I can't remember if you had mentioned this before or not)
    ---
    As far as HFY's history regarding Taan Sau Ng, the reason for '5' in his name was in reference to how he could describe/represent all of the primary WC concepts/principles through use of his (5) taan saus.

In HFY WCK, we have a whole training platform focusing specifically on these 5 taan saus, which are further divided into 3 taan 'saus' (1 for centerline, 2 for Shoulder/5-line), and 2 that are actually tan 'kius' (for inner/outer gate ranges). Depending on application, these '5 taan saus' express the following main concepts:
    Centerline
    Half point & 2-line defense concepts
    Box & Gate theories
    Doi ying/joi ying energy concepts
    And in general, the represnt HFY's Time/Space/Energy concept.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Yeah, I remember being quite suprised to hear this information when you first started posting here - very cool! Curious, do you know where and from whom your father learned his WC from? (I can't remember if you had mentioned this before or not)
    ---
    As far as HFY's history regarding Taan Sau Ng, the reason for '5' in his name was in reference to how he could describe/represent all of the primary WC concepts/principles through use of his (5) taan saus.

In HFY WCK, we have a whole training platform focusing specifically on these 5 taan saus, which are further divided into 3 taan 'saus' (1 for centerline, 2 for Shoulder/5-line), and 2 that are actually tan 'kius' (for inner/outer gate ranges). Depending on application, these '5 taan saus' express the following main concepts:
    Centerline
    Half point & 2-line defense concepts
    Box & Gate theories
    Doi ying/joi ying energy concepts
    And in general, the represnt HFY's Time/Space/Energy concept.

If I remember correctly, My dad was born in 1880. He was old when I came along. In 1965 he died from diabetes at 85 years old. He was a Boxer in 1900 and barely missed the headsman. Later he fled the Canton area and went to Hong Kong in 49 to escape the Communists. From there he came to the states. He told me that he learned Hung Fa from ex-soldiers. They were working members of a tong gang. The stuff I related might or might not have been true, but it does make sense to me at least. These things he told me. Now I am old. Or getting old.
    Jackie Lee

I'm intrigued, Lee Chiang Po! From what I have learned of my kung fu family's history our 4th generation inheritor Hung Gun Biu Tong Zyu was the leader of the Hung Gun Wui during the mid 1850's. According to our history, he taught combat methods to his men which at the time he referred to as Hung Fa Kuen. During the 1870's, upon his retirement he bestowed the name of his family art, Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kuen.
    World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association

"Obey the natural laws and principles of the universe." ~ Grandmaster Garrett Gee

"Education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society... We must remember intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.