Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: History Question for Joy

History Question for Joy

Joy, do you follow any of the various historical accounts of WC that are passed down by various lineages and organizations?

What is your evaluation of the quality of the historical analyses that have been conducted by various WC practitioners? Which accounts are the most believable? My personal opinion has always been that most of it has been made up for political purposes. I am not calling a person a liar, because I have always assumed that they may just be repeating a lie that started several generations ago.

I have always assumed that it is all made up to some extent or another which is something that I am comfortable with. Should I be less skeptical?
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 08-16-2011 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    Joy, do you follow any of the various historical accounts of WC that are passed down by various lineages and organizations?

What is your evaluation of the quality of the historical analyses that have been conducted by various WC practitioners? Which accounts are the most believable? My personal opinion has always been that most of it has been made up for political purposes. I am not calling a person a liar, because I have always assumed that they may just be repeating a lie that started several generations ago.

I have always assumed that it is all made up to some extent or another which is something that I am comfortable with. Should I be less skeptical?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Why ask me? In any case-since you asked- I have not seen a "history" of wing chun that would pass peer review standards of scholarship. But myths can give helpful insights into an art, into understanding behavior and social systems. So I try to understand myths.
    The myths of Ng Mui, Yim Wing Chun, snake and crane, can be instructive in understanding
    feminine power rather than muscle power, straight stance and coiling energy, Buddhist/Taoist influences on energy usage and flow, Confucian organization- sifu, sihing, si dai, sigung, sijo, etc. Scholarly books on Ming penetration in the south can give some ideas on rebel groups.
    Going past Leung Jan you are in the world of speculation and interpretation.
    But that does not bother me..major complex skills are not developed overnight- so as in many other fields we can stand on the shoulders of giants when we grasp a skill..You sift and sift and occasionally you find a treasure.Myths, theories, concepts can point to treasures that have to be polished with practice and experience.
    But to date there is no satisfactory history of wing chun despite claims and salesmanship to the contrary.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by vajramusti View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    why ask me? In any case-since you asked- i have not seen a "history" of wing chun that would pass peer review standards of scholarship. But myths can give helpful insights into an art, into understanding behavior and social systems. So i try to understand myths.
    The myths of ng mui, yim wing chun, snake and crane, can be instructive in understanding
    feminine power rather than muscle power, straight stance and coiling energy, buddhist/taoist influences on energy usage and flow, confucian organization- sifu, sihing, si dai, sigung, sijo, etc. Scholarly books on ming penetration in the south can give some ideas on rebel groups.
    Going past leung jan you are in the world of speculation and interpretation.
    But that does not bother me..major complex skills are not developed overnight- so as in many other fields we can stand on the shoulders of giants when we grasp a skill..you sift and sift and occasionally you find a treasure.myths, theories, concepts can point to treasures that have to be polished with practice and experience.
    But to date there is no satisfactory history of wing chun despite claims and salesmanship to the contrary.

Joy chaudhuri
    qfe .
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Why ask me?

joy chaudhuri
    Because you are a history professor and I wanted a scholarly answer which is what I got.

Because you are a history professor and I wanted a scholarly answer which is what I got.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fields:Philosophy & Comaparative Politics (Political Science),
    American Indian Studies.
    Emeritus
    ex- associate Dean of Liberal Arts and Sciences,
    Arizona State University.
    ex- director of Center for Asian Studies
    Tenured professor in several other universities
    prior to joining Arizona Sate.

no big deal-

in kung fu
    Sifu-Tempe Wing Chun- is enough.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fields:Philosophy & Comaparative Politics (Political Science),
    American Indian Studies.
    Emeritus
    ex- associate Dean of Liberal Arts and Sciences,
    Arizona State University.
    ex- director of Center for Asian Studies
    Tenured professor in several other universities
    prior to joining Arizona Sate.

no big deal-

in kung fu
    Sifu-Tempe Wing Chun- is enough.
    I understand. I guess that I just wanted your general sense of the state of the WC-history research. I understand that you don't conduct research in that area, but I value your opinion because you have conducted peer-reviewed historical research which is more than any WC historian can say that I am aware of. Plus, I figured that you would be able to give us a lens through which to view these legends that would be of value. You did not disappoint.

I understand. I guess that I just wanted your general sense of the state of the WC-history research. I understand that you don't conduct research in that area, but I value your opinion because you have conducted peer-reviewed historical research which is more than any WC historian can say that I am aware of. Plus, I figured that you would be able to give us a lens through which to view these legends that would be of value. You did not disappoint.
    ---Thx and cheers. Wing chun is my love and game.

joy chaudhuri

Why ask me? In any case-since you asked- I have not seen a "history" of wing chun that would pass peer review standards of scholarship. But myths can give helpful insights into an art, into understanding behavior and social systems. So I try to understand myths.
    The myths of Ng Mui, Yim Wing Chun, snake and crane, can be instructive in understanding
    feminine power rather than muscle power, straight stance and coiling energy, Buddhist/Taoist influences on energy usage and flow, Confucian organization- sifu, sihing, si dai, sigung, sijo, etc. Scholarly books on Ming penetration in the south can give some ideas on rebel groups.
    Going past Leung Jan you are in the world of speculation and interpretation.
    But that does not bother me..major complex skills are not developed overnight- so as in many other fields we can stand on the shoulders of giants when we grasp a skill..You sift and sift and occasionally you find a treasure.Myths, theories, concepts can point to treasures that have to be polished with practice and experience.

joy chaudhuri
    This one was nice to read.
    Thanks

Very nice post, Joy.
    The more you know, the more you find you don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by ntc View Post
    Very nice post, Joy.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks ntc.
    best wishes, joy

I'll second that. Very nice read!

My teacher speculated that Yim Wing Chun may actually be a Shaolin Monk called Tan Sau Ng pretending to be a woman to escape prosecution. He made the conclusion based on legends, political situations at the time and evolution of techniques.

Of course, it was just a half joking tongue in cheek speculation.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

From the little bit I've been able to find out, there is some evidence that there was such a person as "Tan-Sau" Ng, and that he was involved in martial arts. There is not much known about him and nothing to connect him with Wing Chun. His nickname "tan sau" is said to be because he passed himself off as a beggar. You know... putting the old palm out for a handout. Who can say?

I'm with Joy on this. Before the time of Leung Jan, it's all oral tradition... that is to say folk tales and speculation.
    Last edited by Grumblegeezer; 08-19-2011 at 01:39 PM.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    From the little bit I've been able to find out, there is some evidence that there was such a person as "Tan-Sau" Ng, and that he was involved in martial arts. There is not much known about him and nothing to connect him with Wing Chun. His nickname "tan sau" is said to be because he passed himself off as a beggar. You know... putting the old palm out for a handout. Who can say?

I'm with Joy on this. Before the time of Leung Jan, it's all oral tradition... that is to say folk tales and speculation.
    ------------------------------------------------------------- Are we sure that there was nota bong sao moe
    who started it all after chi sao with Larry and Curly?

joy

Joy,

Just as an aside, I saw that one of your fields is American Indian studies and I noticed that your avatar is a gun stock club.

Is there a link you can give me to learn some info about the history and usage of that weapon? I've always been curious about it.

Thanks.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb